Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GLHS #0469 Ressurection

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Skibbe's Avatar

GLHS #0469 Ressurection

Flashback to 2001. I ran across GLHS #0469 in a used car lot in Valparaiso, IN. It was shiny and someone had swapped in a common block 2.2L (one-piece intake) at some point. So I bought it.

On the way home to Chicago the engine seized up and there was a small engine fire. One rebuilt motor later it was back on the road. And it promptly cracked a piston. (Hypereutectic pistons be damned... oops.) It sat for a while since I was in college and didn't have much time to work on it. So I traded it to Moparboyy for a running 1992 Daytona Iroc R/T. It seemed fair at the time until I had to watch updates on turbododge.com about it being cut and hacked and gutted, etc. Around 2006, after Moparboyy gave up on the 2.4L swap, I offered him $250 for the gutted shell. He refused. It sat at his dad's place for 5 years rotting away, including a massive flood on the property. Good thing it was just a metal shell.

Flashforward to 2011. Moparboyy finally let go of the shell to local SDAC CL member Tommy. Tommy offered the car to me, knowing it was my old GLHS. I couldn't pass it up for $250, and now feel compelled to bring it back to life after previously being responsible for trading it away to an awful life.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: GLHS #0469 Ressurection

That's awesome! What a great history behind the car. I'll be watching with great anticipation.

Here's the car on its way home from Tommy's. It's an empty shell, but it has the important pieces: Dash Plaque, Dash with VIN, Core Support VIN, GLHS Wheels. And title, which was still in my name after 10 years. Oh, and rear Koni's still too. I have a Shelby valve cover and GLHS steering wheel in the garage.

Inside the car is the lower front ground effects (hacked up) and a welded in roll bar. You can see the uprights in the nose have been hacked out. There is rust where the framerails hit the floor in the front corners, but otherwise the body is solid. 10 years have taken their toll on the clearcoat. The windows are locked in the up position and the doors have been plated over with aluminum sheet for that authentic race car look.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Step one is going to be figuring out the engine bay. There's some modifications to the motor mounts that I have to reverse since it was headed the way of a 2.4L swap. The front core support was hacked out. (by hacked I mean sawsall and then remaining lips folded over with a hammer, not cleanly at all) TurboDave just happened to have a core support cut out of a GLH which I paid him for last night. I see a lot of spot weld drilling in my future. Luckily, Moparboyy saved the upper piece of the core support which had the VIN/options plate and the VIN stamp. The Shelby emissions sticker has seen better days...

I took the nose off tonight (it was mostly held on by hopes&dreams anyway) and here's how it sits:

Don't mind that big hole where the 1 gal fuel cell used to be. That's another piece of sheet metal I need to find and replace.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Lot of work ahead. Good luck.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Good project! Subscribed!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

After finishing the honey-dos I snuck out to the garage for an hour. Took almost all that time to get the driver's side front fender off the car. All except one of those stupid tabbed nut's broke while removing the fender bolts. Once the fender was off I popped the windshield trim off... and then started investigating a rust bubble:

So apparently there was a rust hole here before the car was painted last. It was filled in with a wad of bondo and is probably the worst rust on the car. I wonder what happened originally? In the photo I've already split the bondo wad and removed half of it. I'll have to figure out how to bend a patch piece... or find a donor charger and someone willing to hack out a difficult piece right by the windshield.

The fender I pulled off is rust free. I just need to find a source for the fender nuts before reassembly.

Wow, nice to find that now. Was there a spot on the floor below it? Shouldn't be too hard to fab up a patch piece.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I may have a donor car for your missing radiator support. I'll knw more by the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Wow, nice to find that now. Was there a spot on the floor below it? Shouldn't be too hard to fab up a patch piece.
    Right below is a soft spot in the floor, but that's also where the frame rail channel dies right into the floor board and is notorious for holding water/debris against the floor in L bodies. So it could be either factor or a combination of both causing the floor issue.

Without a shrinker/stretcher it looks like it will be hard to make the replacement in one piece, but a couple smaller pieces should help with the multiple bends/curves.

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    I may have a donor car for your missing radiator support. I'll knw more by the end of the week.
    TurboDave hooked me up with one off a GLH! But it you're parting a charger, let me know how that metal looks by the front lower corner of the windshield...

turbo addict

I like following stories like these! Keep going!

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbe View Post
    Without a shrinker/stretcher it looks like it will be hard to make the replacement in one piece, but a couple smaller pieces should help with the multiple bends/curves.
    LMK if you need any pieces TIGd together

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Someone tell me to take the car to a glass shop next time the windshield needs to come out. There is glass everywhere now.

turbo addict

this is a good story, subscribed
    but looks like you need to make another trip up to daves

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbe View Post

Someone tell me to take the car to a glass shop next time the windshield needs to come out. There is glass everywhere now.
    Doh! Is that a claw-type windsheild removal tool on the cowl? LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Indeed

Worked on removing the remnants of the core support sheet metal this weekend. I'm grinding through the spot welds rather than drilling. This leaves a solid backer for the replacement panel, which will be removed from the donor core support via drilling, and I'll just weld through each spot weld hole.

Shot showing the cross-section of the piece I'm removing.

Reference photo of what is braced inside this frame section at the front motor mount. I'm wondering if I should beef this up while it's open. It will at least be cleaned up and rustproofed.

And everything removed. You can also see the hole in the inner passenger side fender where the vapor canister area was cut out to fit a 1 gallon fuel cell. After taking this picture and seeing the long tube header in the background, I started thinking about how convenient this hole is if I were to put the long tube header on this car. It's right where the turbo would sit, and the exhaust would be routed down and out the marker light in the airdam fender extension! Hmm... with the roll bar installed and this area already cut up maybe I should pull the race motor from the blue SC and put it in the gutted GLHS...
    Last edited by Skibbe; 09-13-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Congrats on the work, that is some serious time and energy needed,

Holy hackers batman, Moparrboy outta be shot, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Holy hackers batman, Moparrboy outta be shot, lol.
    hey now! it was a unfinished project! i started to just hack away to see if i could even get stuff to fit in there. then planned on going back and finishing it all up.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoparBoyy View Post
    hey now! it was a unfinished project! i started to just hack away to see if i could even get stuff to fit in there. then planned on going back and finishing it all up.

LOL, sure, sure.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Either way, we can fix it all. Full core support stamping ready to get plug welded in place!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast