Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

Hybrid View

Hybrid booster

Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

Newbie Checking in! I've been looking into a project car for a little bit now, and my wife and I settled on something out of the 80s turbo mopar collection. We both grew up on these little cars (I had a Reliant, she had an Omni) so getting one of these was like coming back to our roots. Found a Shelby Z on craigslist in Indianapolis and had to get it.

Went down to Indy this weekend and picked it up!

1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
    Turbo II 2.2L
    Getrag 5 speed transmission
    Sun and shade package
    Enthusiast seats

Can anyone confirm the hood year? I believe it's a 91? Has VNT stickers on each side that I need to peel off.

Look how long it is compared to my trep!! I was surprised!

Tonneau cover!

Enthusiast seats are in great shape, few very small cigarette burns. Recline mechanism is broken on both.

The paint is really really rough, but it's pretty mechanically sound. Good shocks and struts, no major body damage and very little under body rust. The rockers are solid and the only areas are concern is the drivers side floor board (easy fix) and the spare tire well (got a bead on a donor car.)

rest of the underbody looks like this. Wonderbar!

Previous owner said that on start up the car is not getting oil pressure. I suspect oil pump or pick up. Engine has the 2.4 lifters installed and was supposedly rebuilt by the previous previous owner... who I don't trust at all based on the awful wiring hack and slash in the engine bay.

WTF?!? Inexcusable. Some sort of fan bypass.

Not sure what went on here... cut wires. Connector just hangin' out. Yuck.

Filled a page full of notes and immediately headed to the yard this afternoon where I had previously spied a Shelby Z that had no business being there.
    Got about 75% of what i was after, including a complete sunroof and two gorgeous recline mechanisms from a la baron coupe. Got lots of trim odds and ends, lots of bulbs for the message center and some floor mats.

Oh - and I have louvers... I really don't like it, but everyone else does. Not sure what's going to happen with them yet. My wife says they have to go on because it makes it "80's-tastic" Not sure if that's good or bad LOL.

First steps:
    Find oil pressure problem
    replace seat recliners. (drivers seat is leaning, will need a close look.)

Should be able to drive her then. This winter I'lll continue to clean up the engine and interior, and fix the rust issues. then next summer she'll go to paint! There's an amazing amount of room in these little cars. I can stretch out completely inside. Should be an awesome little car!!!
    Last edited by beeblebrox82; 07-20-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Hybrid booster
    Laundry list... in some sort of order... and much more to add I'm sure.

-Find and fix the oil pressure problem
    -replace accessory belts, change all fuilds (the oil is nasty!)
    -Investigate parking brake... appears to not be working
    -Clean Clean Clean!
    -Check all electronics
    -Fix door cards
    -repair replace all trim odds and ends
    -Completely rewire engine compartment... back to stock
    -Completely redo the vac system
    -Replace wiper control stalk
    -fix tonneau cover reel
    -Replace floor pan on drivers side
    -replace/repair spare tire well.
    -Replace front facia.
    -rust management on exterior surfaces
    -Get AC working

Honestly the engine might be coming out just so I can clean it all up properly. I need to give it a real good look and see how much work needs to be done.

Still need lots of little pieces and odds and ends.

Incidentally.. is there supposed to be some sort of bezel around the door handle?

Lots of work to do! Looking forward to hanging out and learning from you pros.
    Last edited by beeblebrox82; 07-20-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

Those plastic bezel pieces around the door handle are common to break and go missing.

Other than the hackjob wiring and rust it looks like everything else is there including the desirable 2 piece intake.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

+1 for bezels being there originally. My car came with them, but I haven't looked at how to put them back on, or if they are actually broken. I'm assuming that they are.

Looks like a good project. I am glad you are working on it and restoring it!
    As for your oil pressure issue, might I suggest putting a manual gauge on it and seeing if the oil pressure is really low or if the sender is crappy. They are known to go out.
    But before you do that definitely change the oil.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    Looks like a good project. I am glad you are working on it and restoring it!
    As for your oil pressure issue, might I suggest putting a manual gauge on it and seeing if the oil pressure is really low or if the sender is crappy. They are known to go out.
    But before you do that definitely change the oil.
    Yep, that's the plan! I discovered a mechanical gauge hanging out below the dash, but I'm not going to trust someone elses work. Will get a new gauge and check the pressure first. Might just be a clogged pick up too.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

Looks like an easy weekend fixer.

My wife hates the louvers on my 86, but I told her not only do they scream 'this car was made in the 80's!!' but I had her sit in the back on a bright day (the car is not running yet, so it sits in my backyard) with and with out the louvers (it does have the rear window shades, but they only help a little) as well as in the front and looking out the rear view. I think she understands the need for them on the 50sq/ft of rear window glass now

turbo addict

If the wiring is hacked up and you want to go to SMEC electronics I have a 88 daytona engine harness and might have the dash harness also.

I must of missed this car on craiglist or it was out of my price range cuz i didn't see it.

Oh and..... 42

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    If the wiring is hacked up and you want to go to SMEC electronics I have a 88 daytona engine harness and might have the dash harness also.

I must of missed this car on craiglist or it was out of my price range cuz i didn't see it.

Oh and..... 42
    Any particular benefit to moving to the SMEC electronics?

I'm kind of going back and forth as to how good a deal it was... if I don't get any big surprises, it was a good deal. Either way

Oh and....

Well moving to smec electronics will delete the 2 computer system and leave it to a single module

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by beeblebrox82 View Post
    Any particular benefit to moving to the SMEC electronics?
    Well moving to smec electronics will delete the 2 computer system and leave it to a single module
    The main things would be a single computer instead of two and the wider availability of SMECs vs Logic modules.

You can get cals for both but SMEC cores are easier to come by.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    The main things would be a single computer instead of two and the wider availability of SMECs vs Logic modules.

You can get cals for both but SMEC cores are easier to come by.
    gotcha. So future expansion. Makes perfect sense. I really need to survey the damage... but I'm just not comfortable with wire splices under the hood, and there's going to be several here. Trying to figure out why they would bypass the fan electronics in the 1st place...

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

First of all welcome!

Looking forward to progress pics

turbo addict

Fan relay may have died and they bypassed it.

Hybrid booster

Well business has been slow, mostly because I spent all of my disposable cash on the car, but I have picked up a few more odds and ends just hunting through the yards.

A new front fascia: Really nice condition, Not horribly painted over 4 times like the once currently on the car.

Same car had near MINT condition window tracks and drivers side door seal. Also got a new cup holder, and some daytona door handle bezels ($3!!) as well as a crap load of other bezels, just for the heck of it.

And the highlight of my day look what came in the mail today!!

Last thing I need to buy is a couple torque wrenches, unbelievably, I've never got around to buying them. But before i drop the pan I need to invest. Might be another few weeks still before I really get to dig in.

Sounds like a plan. You can NEVER have enough spare parts. I have my own salvage yard at my disposal (litterally) and there are still parts I need LOL.
    When you attempt that wiring disaster, you are gonna want those service manuals forsure. Thats a GREAT buy.
    You are coming a long great. Before you know it, the cars motor will be out in pieces on the garage, you will be hunting NOS pieces on eBAY and you wont even wanna look at the pile of reciepts LMAO

Hybrid booster

Thanks! I've been fairly lucky with parts so far, I think I have 80% of what i needed. I can't wait to dig into the motor.

Quick question - Is the 88 instrument cluster compatable with the 87? There's an 88 in my yard - Mine appears to have a dead oil pressure gauge, the needle is buried well below zero.

Quote Originally Posted by beeblebrox82 View Post
    Thanks! I've been fairly lucky with parts so far, I think I have 80% of what i needed. I can't wait to dig into the motor.

Quick question - Is the 88 instrument cluster compatable with the 87? There's an 88 in my yard - Mine appears to have a dead oil pressure gauge, the needle is buried well below zero.
    Yes. Sounds like a sender issue though. Have you plugged the stock sender in?

Hybrid booster

Yes. Sounds like a sender issue though. Have you plugged the stock sender in?
    Sender was AWOL, They rigged up a mechanical gauge. I nabbed a new sender from a labaron in the yard, looks almost new. I suppose i should hook it up before I deem the cluster bad. Either way. I'm going to drop the pan and the oil pump just for inspection purposes. Replace pump if needed, change the oil, start it up and see what i get on the mechanical gauge. If everything is happy then I'll try to get the factory gauge working again.

I'm sure I'll eventually set some gauge pods up but in the meantime I'd like to just get it back to stock.

turbo addict

awesome project man!
    looking forward to updates

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast