Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWD Dodge Shadow?

Mitsu booster

AWD Dodge Shadow?

hello all,
    now i am sure this question has been asked before but i have been searching and have had no luck.
    so my question is: is there an All Wheel Drive transmission that will mount up to the 2.2 engine in the dodge shadow? i am planning on building my shadow but i need just a few more things to before i can turbo it, and i want it to be unique so i am attempting to make it AWD but i still want to do all the research before putting my car in pieces.
    i have heard that some of the dodge minivans came all wheel with the 2.2L engine in them but haven't run into any. and yes (obviously) i would have to do extensive modding but im up for the task if i can find the transmission and if the transfer case are close to lining up. (crossing my fingers)
    i am 21 and very eager to learn more about this car.

any and all input is appreciated
    thank you
    Jessie

Mitsu booster

Re: AWD Dodge Sadow?

thank you for the link that explains and helps alot thanks

here is the project of someone doing a 3.0 5 speed awd mini. He runs into some of the same problems with mounting the PTU

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11...speed-awd.html
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    here is the project of someone doing a 3.0 5 speed awd mini. He runs into some of the same problems with mounting the PTU

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11...speed-awd.html
    That's kind of funny. I just came on here to start a project log for my AWD minivan and I stumbled into this thread first

If you want AWD my first question is can you weld/fabricate or have someone that can? You'll need to swap out that 2.2L and drop in a 2.4L or 3.0L. Me, I like 3.0L's and it is a factory option for a shadow so it'll be an easier swap. Even an NA 3.0L with bolt-on's and AWD would be absolutely sick on the street. Turbo it for some real insanity

Mitsu booster

thank you for the links and sharing useful information.
    yes, i can fabricate and i have access to all that i will need other than machinist mills and lathes (precision machine tools), and my plan is to build the 2.2 8v that's in it and turbo it and fab up the trans brackets and rear end...

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    thanks i am finding alot of useful information here. you guys are great and surprisingly friendly unlike other forums that i am a part of for my other cars. so i just want to say thank you.

Mitsu booster

so can the "ptu" (transfer case) mount to the factory automatic trans. in the 90 dodge shadows? seems like a stretch but thought id ask.

Yeah, this forum is awesome glad you found us

IIR all the AWD mini stuff can bolt behind our tansaxles just like it does to the mini trans. I think the link above might show the parts?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

If you want to punk out and do it the EASY way, then I would suggest a 2.4L PT turbo engine/trans swap. Enough people have done it the mounts and such are a known quantity. Then all you have to do is attach the PTU from a AWD mini and you have a big chunk done. Then it's just moding the K member to allow the driveshaft to pass through, mounting the diff, shortening the axles and DS.... OK, you get the picture, it won't make it a drop-in, but it does make things a bit easier, if you want to stick with a 4cyl turbo... Lots of ways to go, some just require a bit more fabrication. But as a good friend of mine likes to say: "if you've got a cutt'n torch and a welder... you can do ANYTHING!!".

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've been kind of tossing this idea around in my head since I saw the title of his thread. Here's what i was wondering: can a shadow or duster with a 3.0l accept a van engine/trans easily? I get that the ptu needs to be accomidated and wheelbases are different, but would it make more sense to start with a v6 car in the 1st place? Maybe some day I'll have the money and time to test that theory.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    I've been kind of tossing this idea around in my head since I saw the title of his thread. Here's what i was wondering: can a shadow or duster with a 3.0l accept a van engine/trans easily? I get that the ptu needs to be accommodated and wheelbases are different, but would it make more sense to start with a v6 car in the 1st place? Maybe some day I'll have the money and time to test that theory.
    I haven't compared the bell-housings of the 3.3/3.8 to the 3.0, but it would make sense from a manufacturing viewpoint that they would be the same, as you could use the same hardware (4 speed auto) and just adjust the controller if need be.

I guess the worst case scenario would be to have to adapt the diff and PTU to the 3.0's 4speed trans, which should be a bolt-on affair.

I think the V-6 would be a great starting point as you would not have to fab anything beyond mod'ing the K-member, to allow the PTU's output shaft to pass to the rear. The rest is the unavoidable stuff, mounting the diff, making the drive shafts fit and installing "drivable" rear hubs. Brakes are another place you could go a number of directions, drums, discs, van or car... whatever works for you...

If the V-6 will live with a blower or turbo, (ok, nitrous might be cool too!), it would be lots of fun. As I like to say, "A good big one is better than a good little one". I think that's why the wife married me!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    If you want to punk out and do it the EASY way, then I would suggest a 2.4L PT turbo engine/trans swap. Enough people have done it the mounts and such are a known quantity. Then all you have to do is attach the PTU from a AWD mini and you have a big chunk done. Then it's just moding the K member to allow the driveshaft to pass through, mounting the diff, shortening the axles and DS.... OK, you get the picture, it won't make it a drop-in, but it does make things a bit easier, if you want to stick with a 4cyl turbo... Lots of ways to go, some just require a bit more fabrication. But as a good friend of mine likes to say: "if you've got a cutt'n torch and a welder... you can do ANYTHING!!".

Mike
    Wait... are you saying a 41TE can be converted to a 41AE just by adding the PTU?

I haven't compared the bell-housings of the 3.3/3.8 to the 3.0, but it would make sense from a manufacturing viewpoint that they would be the same, as you could use the same hardware (4 speed auto) and just adjust the controller if need be.

I guess the worst case scenario would be to have to adapt the diff and PTU to the 3.0's 4speed trans, which should be a bolt-on affair.
    I was even thinking maybe just taking the whole 3.3 setup and bolt it in, or maybe just the tranny.

I don't know enough about the v6 engines to know how close they are externally. If the 3.0 and 3.3 are like the 2.2 and 2,5 then it should be really close to a swap in affair, for the front end at least.

I think the V-6 would be a great starting point as you would not have to fab anything beyond mod'ing the K-member, to allow the PTU's output shaft to pass to the rear. The rest is the unavoidable stuff, mounting the diff, making the drive shafts fit and installing "drivable" rear hubs. Brakes are another place you could go a number of directions, drums, discs, van or car... whatever works for you...
    Exactly, the options to swap the heavy duty van stuff onto a 2600lb p body would be awesome. I figured the cv shafts could probably be found off the shelf, too.

Who knows, maybe there would even be an easy way to get a van rear under the p body.

If the V-6 will live with a blower or turbo, (ok, nitrous might be cool too!), it would be lots of fun. As I like to say, "A good big one is better than a good little one". I think that's why the wife married me!

Mike
    I'm sure if someone around here could get the drivetrain sorted out boosting the engine would be easy. Multiple stock t3 or even a holset or two for some cheap fun on a v6 would make lots of power easily.

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    Wait... are you saying a 41TE can be converted to a 41AE just by adding the PTU?
    AWD Sebring?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

theres a little bit of clarification that needs to be made here....

the AWD transfer case cannot be used with a 2.2 or 2.5L. the oil pain rail is totally in the way and cannot be worked around without cutting too much structure out of the block/transfer case to make it work. you must use a 2.0L or a 2.4L for this swap from what i know.

the 3 speed auto mated to the awd case hasnt been explored yet as far as i can tell. it would require some different machining than the 5-speed route. the 4 speed trans, the transfer case bolts to easily and the diff drops in without machining.

the 3.0L isnt hard to work with as kreel has shown with his completed example.

i myself wouldnt use a 41TE without a programmable controller as i dont like the shift firmness from the stock programming. its too smooth/soft.

how is the shift firmness in your car, sebringLX? does it feel too soft. i know you had a little bit of trans issue lately.

van rear in a shadow....... shouldnt be too hard. i have a 2001 caravan awd rear sitting right here. cut the beam/tube and narrow it so the distance between the hub are the same distance as the stock shadow rear axle and weld back together. dont forget to take into account rotor hat thickness if they are different (didnt measure yet). have the halfshafts shortened the equivalent amount.

the var rear has some hefty bolt together provisions to attach the leaf springs. some trailing arm/ladder bar attachment points could be fabbed and bolted to this location as well as a panhard rod mount. bolt it into the car and make a mount point to hang the rear diff and another mount point further up under the floorpan for the torque arm mount.

it shouldnt be too hard when i start my fab work.

brian

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    AWD Sebring?
    Maybe sometime in 2015, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    how is the shift firmness in your car, sebringLX? does it feel too soft. i know you had a little bit of trans issue lately.
    It's nice and firm. The valve body mods are mostly to thank for that, however the NGC seems to do a better job with it than the older controllers. I'm still considering a PCS trans controller for reasons other than shift firmness.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    theres a little bit of clarification that needs to be made here....

the AWD transfer case cannot be used with a 2.2 or 2.5L. the oil pain rail is totally in the way and cannot be worked around without cutting too much structure out of the block/transfer case to make it work. you must use a 2.0L or a 2.4L for this swap from what i know.

the 3 speed auto mated to the awd case hasnt been explored yet as far as i can tell. it would require some different machining than the 5-speed route. the 4 speed trans, the transfer case bolts to easily and the diff drops in without machining.

the 3.0L isnt hard to work with as kreel has shown with his completed example.
    Do you know if there is a big difference between the 3.0 and 3.3? Or exactly which engines the awd vans come with?

And does anyone know how close the 543 (v6 manual, correct?) is physically to the automagic from the vans?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    Do you know if there is a big difference between the 3.0 and 3.3? Or exactly which engines the awd vans come with?

And does anyone know how close the 543 (v6 manual, correct?) is physically to the automagic from the vans?
    the 3.0L is quite different from a 3.3/3.8L. i believe the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same (not sure though) but the 3.0L has a big coolant tube running between the top two bolts of the bellhousing and if a 3.3/3.8L trans was used for some strange reason, that area would need to be cut out.

3.0L is a SOHC design between mitsu and chrysler. 3.3/3.8L is a pushrod motor by chrysler.

3.0L and 3.3/3.8L could be had with the 604 trans with the only difference between the FWD trans and the AWD trans is the AWD diff and passenger side bearing retainer and the transfer case bolted to the trans. the diff has splines to mate to the transfer case and the bearing retainer has some extra material and bolt holes for the transfer case to bolt to. all that stuff can be transplanted to the 604 from a 3.0L easily.

awd vans came with a 3.3L or a 3.8L.

543 is the same as a 523 with a 3.0L bellhousing. it can be mated to the transfer case as detailed out in this thread.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51149

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast