Thread: Air charge temp sensor

Air charge temp sensor

Do you guys think that there would be any gain from moving the air charge temp sensor from the intake manifold and placing it in the intercooler plumbing just before the throttle body. The stock location on the 2 piece intake seems to heat sink pretty badly. Especially the aftermarket ones that all seem to be metal as opposed to plastic like the OEM ones.

I assume that the air charge temp sensor affects fueling and timing. To what degree, I don't know.

My theory is that if it was moved to just before the throttle body, it would read cooler (closer to actual temps.) and thereby maybe allow for more fuel and less timing pull.

Any thoughts?

- Bill

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Air charge temp sensor

I think your theory is correct in what it would do with the location change, but I'm not sure that would make any more power since all of the fuel and spark curves are calculated based on the stock location.

If you want to add a little more fuel in a similar manner you can switch to a 180* thermostat from the stock 192* one.

best way to tune fuel is with an adjustable pressure regulator

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

You want to know if this makes a differance.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I can't say it's the only way my car has ever had one.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance
    since all of the fuel and spark curves are calculated based on the stock location.

Well said!
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Paul at TU told me moving it plays havoc with the programming but hey, you can try it in the stock location, then after a while, move it to the IC piping and see what happens,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

...and the stock sensor is measuring the temperature of the manifold casting, more than the temperature of the charge.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance
    ... since all of the fuel and spark curves are calculated based on the stock location.
    The spark and fuel curves are also based on using a 192* thermostat and a stock FPR. I already have the 180* 'stat and an AFPR. My thought was that moving the charge temp sensor would have a similar effect as changing those. More fuel and less timing pull.

I think I need to wait until I get a scanner before moving it though. Especially if Paul from TU says that it can play havoc with the tables. Without a scanner, I am shooting in the dark anyway.

Thanks for the input,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by CSXT802
    You want to know if this makes a differance.

I can't say it's the only way my car has ever had one.
    That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. Too bad you dont have before and after experience on that.

- Bill

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar
    ...and the stock sensor is measuring the temperature of the manifold casting, more than the temperature of the charge.
    That's the thing that got me wondering about this.

Do the electronics think that they are reading charge temp., when they are actually reading manifold casting temp.?

Would the electronics "make better decisions" if they were seeing charge temps. that were closer to actual?

or...

Are the tables written to take the heat sink into account?

The below thread also has me thinking that this would be a good mod.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4963

It is safe to say that the calibration is setup correctly for whatever setup it was originally calibrated for. The stock sensor was plastic, which helped reduce some of the conduction from the casting to the thermistor inside. Still, it was tweaked for a particular engine for thousands of hours, probably.

Also, the mount of fuel that the CAT sensor can effect is rather small. So moving it to a position that will cause cooler readings will add a small amount of fuel...but not much. A lot of the fueling changes comes from the coolant temp sensor, which is why they could eliminate it completely from the Turbo I setup. They could predict the charge temps based on the coolant temps, since there was no IC. This is different from the TBI setup, since the TB is more isolated from the manifold. They need to know the temperature of that air to figure out how well the fuel is going to atomize.

If you ever hook up a scanner, watch the coolant and charge air temps. On my 87 T2, they tend to track each other. Not at the same temperature, but they both go up and down around the same time. I was expecting the CAT to go down when in motion, but it didn't really (maybe a few degrees). The 2pc intake does put the sensor in a sub-optimal location, though.

Dang it, I wish I had a scanner. I would love to move the sensor and see the IAT sensor temps actually start at a lower baseline. Not having to cool the sensor first due to heat sink. I am thinking that even though it only has a small affect on fueling, every little bit helps.

It just looks like the stock location is a poor design, to me. Thanks for the insight.

- Bill
    Last edited by turbo Scamp; 06-16-2006 at 11:21 AM. Reason: misspoke myself