Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Lost 4th gear

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Lost 4th gear

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    Don't know, never tried it. Like I said, I just know the trans shop got it out from the bottom without touching anything else.

Anyway... how hard/expensive would it be to get billet hard parts made? I'm thinking 4340 steel... Good/bad idea?
    You can't get it out from the top unless you remove the engine first, lol.

Yeah, you lower the trans then unbolt the bellhousing bolts, with a hoist, its not that hard to do, but if you have a jack, a tranny jack or the tranny jack piece that goes on a trans jack and maybe a cherry picker, you can easily do it on your back, I used to do trans at home in my younger days,

Money can buy you anything, so yeah, if you want to build stronger stuff, then find a local trans shop or machine shop and they can design build but it won't be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Can any of the (readily available and potentially stronger) 3 speed parts work in it?
    Not that I know off. and really, there still isn't much A413 stuff available either.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I have no idea where you could do that or how much it would cost. My guess is 'exorbitant'. Even the mass-produced high-strength-better-metal-thicker-made parts for the common trannies are pretty expensive.

In all the time i spent dropping fwd trans on a lift, i never ever had one where no work was done from the top. Usually i removed everything that needed to be removed from the top, lifted the car, and did the rest from the bottom. It went back together in reverse order. What makes you think they didnt r&r pieces on the top?
    When I got it back the 1st time, I asked, because I wanted to make sure all the IC piping was put back together right and tight, didn't want to run into any boost leaks.

This time around, when I went in to see the damage, the car was still up on the lift and the trans was on a bench. I walked under the car and looked up where my trans should be, and saw all of that stuff untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Can any of the (readily available and potentially stronger) 3 speed parts work in it?
    Don't think so.

I'm going to start a new thread for 41TE Beef-up theory.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

When I got it back the 1st time, I asked, because I wanted to make sure all the IC piping was put back together right and tight, didn't want to run into any boost leaks.

This time around, when I went in to see the damage, the car was still up on the lift and the trans was on a bench. I walked under the car and looked up where my trans should be, and saw all of that stuff untouched.
    That's pretty unusual.. in gonna take a closer look at the next 2g stratus i see and figure out what they did.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    That's pretty unusual.. in gonna take a closer look at the next 2g stratus i see and figure out what they did.
    They just lower it down enough to get at the top bolts,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

I told them to just put stock replacement parts back in. They got the parts in the other day, it will be done soon. Unfortunately I won't be able to pick the car up until the 13th even though it should be done long before that.

boostaholic

So the car is STILL at the trans shop. Called yesterday, they said everything was all put back together finally, but now the passenger side axle is leaking. Something about trying 3 different seals on it and it's still leaking. :\ It wasn't leaking when I dropped it off! Well the axle wasn't, the trans was.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345