Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lost 4th gear

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Lost 4th gear

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    To lock out 4th, what would happen if you interrupted the speed sensor wire? Make it read 0, or would it just stay in 2nd?
    It would go into limp mode.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Got asked for the go-ahead to take the trans back out... Still saying it's either a "hard part" or a clutch. If it's a "hard part", probably going to cost me $600 to replace. If it's a clutch... he'll cover it free of charge since those are what he just replaced. I asked if he used the Alto Red Eagle clutches 'cause I'm pretty sure those are what was in there before, but I was talking to the other guy, not the owner that actually does the build, so he wasn't sure.

I told him I wanted a call before they replaced anything. If it is the clutch, and I still think it is, I want to make sure he uses the Alto Red Eagle clutches in it. However I did notice that Raybestos makes "gen2 Blue Plate Special" clutches for the 41TE.

Here is the Alto Red Eagle info: http://www.altousa.com/friction.htm
    Here is the Raybestos gen2 Blue Plate Special info: http://www.raybestospowertrain.com/rpt_prod_f_gen2.php

Does anyone have experience with either or know if one is better than the other?

Go with the blue plate special,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Based ONLY on how persuasively those pages are written and not on experience.. i like the blue plates better too

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Based ONLY on how persuasively those pages are written and not on experience.. i like the blue plates better too
    Talked to my tranny guy today, he said they haven't had good luck with Alto's.

boostaholic

I'll ask mine about it when I call for an update on Monday.

turbo addict

you should buy the rebuild kit parts from Steve Lockett in that thread on neons.org

and have this trans guy install it, I'm almost positive that what you just had was a stock rebuild and makes sense why it didnt last

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    you should buy the rebuild kit parts from Steve Lockett in that thread on neons.org

and have this trans guy install it, I'm almost positive that what you just had was a stock rebuild and makes sense why it didnt last
    Yeah well that's going to piss me off if they did. I made it very clear that I did not have stock parts in the trans, and I did not want stock parts used. I talked to AJ, and gave this trans shop his number, told them to call him if they had questions on what to use for a replacement. I'm sure they never called him. They insisted that most everything was in there was stock, except for the "high energy" clutches.

It lasted less than 200 miles. :\ I'll be finding out more tomorrow.

That's a bummer. From having been on the inside, i can tell you its hard as hell to actually get your money's worth out of a 'performance' build because since trans shops know that people dont know jack about whats inside transmissions, they know they cant easily get caught lying..

On the other hand, if you talk up how powerful your car is, they might give you a good build, but then give you a really bad warranty because now you've convinced them its going to break.

So its kind of a rough spot to be in to get a real performance build for a decent price and not end up with SOME part of the deal going crappy. Best of luck, though. Keep us updated!

boostaholic

High-res carnage pics here: http://www.custommopar.net/images/transmission

It looks like I broke everything from the Underdrive Hub to the Front Planetary.

Looking at this schematic here: https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.a...04&Schematic=3

It's parts 570 through 582.

If I'm not mistaken, all those parts are in this kit here: http://www.transmissionpartssales.co...taryset-1.aspx ?
    Last edited by SebringLX; 07-28-2010 at 09:45 AM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    High-res carnage pics here: http://www.custommopar.net/images/transmission

It looks like I broke everything from the Underdrive Hub to the Front Planetary.

Looking at this schematic here: https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.a...04&Schematic=3

It's parts 570 through 582.

If I'm not mistaken, all those parts are in this kit here: http://www.transmissionpartssales.co...taryset-1.aspx ?

That link shows and says 4 pinion planetary. you dont want that if you broke a 5 pinion planetary.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    That link shows and says 4 pinion planetary. you dont want that if you broke a 5 pinion planetary.
    How can you tell the difference? I'm guessing you spotted a 5 pinion planetary in one of the pics of my trans?

That picture shows a 5 pinion planetary, but thats the rear planetary and i dont think its broken.. i think you'd be able to re-use it. As far as i know, all the front planets are 3 pinion..

Oh and btw, consider me impressed! Good job breaking that stuff!

Your UD gear clutches must have been doing a good job.. they were holding some serious power to put those marks in the UD hub splines in such a short time and shear it off its shaft!!

boostaholic

That picture shows a 5 pinion planetary, but thats the rear planetary and i dont think its broken.. i think you'd be able to re-use it. As far as i know, all the front planets are 3 pinion..
    Yeah it's only everything from the Underdrive hub up to the front planetary that seems to be broken.

Oh and btw, consider me impressed! Good job breaking that stuff!

Your UD gear clutches must have been doing a good job.. they were holding some serious power to put those marks in the UD hub splines in such a short time and shear it off its shaft!!
    What would cause it to wear those marks in the splines all the way around? They were pretty deep.. You're saying it's the UD gear clutches that come in contact there? I didn't see any other part that had matching marks... I was thinking whatever was coming in contact with that there would have to show some signs of similar wear...

Would cryo treating help prevent this from happening again? As far as I know those are the original hard parts since nobody makes upgrades for the 96+ 41TE's. The upgrades available for these parts are for the 89-95, and the upgrade is to use the 96+ part from what I've seen. Cryo treating is the only thing I could think of that would maybe make it stronger.

There is no WAY those wear marks happened on the clutch hub that fast, that takes time so the breakage stuff, shitt happens but that worn hub should have been replaced. That is caused by the clutch discs moving when turned on and off, bikes do it too.
    Also looks like regular clutch discs.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    There is no WAY those wear marks happened on the clutch hub that fast, that takes time so the breakage stuff, shitt happens but that worn hub should have been replaced. That is caused by the clutch discs moving when turned on and off, bikes do it too.
    Also looks like regular clutch discs.
    I agree, and so does AJ Berge (guy that built this trans for me 3 years ago). I called him and he said they should have caught it when they were doing the rebuild after the torque converter went out. He wants me to send him the whole "silver drum" and said it'd probably be $100-$500 to fix up depending on what can be re-used. I'm not sure what the "silver drum" is, I'm guessing the pat sitting next to the parts that I know are broken in pic # 536? It kind of looks like that goes over the top of those parts...

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Ouch! When you break 'em, you break 'em Josh! Hope its not too painful!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I agree, and so does AJ Berge (guy that built this trans for me 3 years ago). I called him and he said they should have caught it when they were doing the rebuild after the torque converter went out. He wants me to send him the whole "silver drum" and said it'd probably be $100-$500 to fix up depending on what can be re-used. I'm not sure what the "silver drum" is, I'm guessing the pat sitting next to the parts that I know are broken in pic # 536? It kind of looks like that goes over the top of those parts...
    Well, i was giving the benefit of the doubt but in retrospect its probably not deserved.. the previous builder probably DIDNT replace that piece, and that wear is the accumulation of the total miles since new.

Anyway, the silver drum is the entire input drum and everything that goes in it. Its on the left on this picture: http://www.custommopar.net/images/tr...n/SNC00535.jpg
    And its more accurate to say that those parts go inside the drum, not that it goes over the parts. When you pull that drum out of the transmission most of that stuff is held into it by snaprings.

What would cause it to wear those marks in the splines all the way around?........ I was thinking whatever was coming in contact with that there would have to show some signs of similar wear...
    The wear is pretty much normal over time and happens to all sorts of transmissions so its nothing special, but yours is at the point where it should be replaced for sure. What rides there is the inner teeth of a clutch plate.. sometimes they show similar amounts of wear, but sometimes they dont. You can see some clutch teeth clearly in this picture:
    http://www.custommopar.net/images/tr...n/SNC00542.jpg

boostaholic

Well, i was giving the benefit of the doubt but in retrospect its probably not deserved.. the previous builder probably DIDNT replace that piece, and that wear is the accumulation of the total miles since new.
    Yeah but still... 50k miles in 7 years, and only 3 years and 10k of those miles with the added power of the turbo...

Anyway, the silver drum is the entire input drum and everything that goes in it. Its on the left on this picture: http://www.custommopar.net/images/tr...n/SNC00535.jpg
    And its more accurate to say that those parts go inside the drum, not that it goes over the parts. When you pull that drum out of the transmission most of that stuff is held into it by snaprings.
    Cool that's what I thought.

The wear is pretty much normal over time and happens to all sorts of transmissions so its nothing special, but yours is at the point where it should be replaced for sure. What rides there is the inner teeth of a clutch plate.. sometimes they show similar amounts of wear, but sometimes they dont. You can see some clutch teeth clearly in this picture:
    http://www.custommopar.net/images/tr...n/SNC00542.jpg
    Well it kind of has to be replaced now. :P Since the clutches were replaced before this part broke, I could see why they do not have matching wear marks. I'm sure the old clutches may have.

turbo addict

WOW!! I agree with everybody else. That is wear that is "normal" over a long period of time. If the parts were NOT like that when it was built, then that says the clutches were too sloppy and banging into gear. The other thing I can think of is if the hub isn't hardened enough. What *could* happen is that the transmission could be in that gear and if the tires are slipping, then suddenly grab it will also cause a shock loading on those parts, however I'm not inclined to think that's what hapened here.

Chryo-treating *might* help, but I think that either a different surface hardening process or a different material is called for here. A coating might prolong that wear, but I doubt it would last an length of time. Nitride treating might help, or even chrome plating (I know it sounds strange, but it *might* work due to the properties of chrome).

It's expensive any way you do it. Going with a brand new part and trying again might prove to work fine. If it doesn't, we're back to square one and adding pages to this thread, that discuss a fix.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast