Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New guy here with a 1987 Shelby CSX!

Garrett booster

New guy here with a 1987 Shelby CSX!

Hello all,

I was referred over here from some guys on the Grassroots Motorsports Magazine forum, and I must say, this site is pretty cool. Last weekend, I picked up a 1987 Shelby CSX from a member over there for the paltry sum of $100, which included a ton of parts!!!

Well, at least I'm pretty sure it's a Shelby. It has all the Shelby stuff, like the valve cover, 2pc intake, badges, body parts, and steering wheel, but along the way, someone painted it all black and added some cheesy graphics. Also, and most importantly, it's missing it's dash plaque, so I have no idea what number it is.

As of right now it's not running. The former owner stopped driving it because it because it sprang a fuel leak and the clutch was slipping. Included in the sale were a new (and partially installed) fuel rail and a new clutch! The plan is for now to get it back up and running with the 2.2L and get used to driving it. It also has a little ruct on the floor pans and the spare tire well, so I need to figure that out. I will be building a 2.4L "Cloud Car" motor with SRT-4 internals along the way.

This is my first Turbo Mopar product, and I've never wrenched on one before, but it looks like it's pretty straightforward. For other cars, I have a pair of 1979 Trans Ams and a 2009 Subaru WRX, and they are all silver, hence the cheesy screen name. I look forward to talking more with all of you!

-Tony

Here's some pics of the CSX as it sits now:

And I love this pic:

This is an engine bay shot from the former owner, he kept the BOV, but you get the idea:

Re: New guy here with a 1987 Shelby CSX!

Hey Tony...good to see another GRM guy on here. See you in Gainesville.

Pat

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Hey Tony...good to see another GRM guy on here. See you in Gainesville.

Pat
    I actually think I had a conversation with you last year at the Challenge!!!! Turbo Shadow with the flames, right? We brought a red turbo Miata. And yes, I'll see you down there, but the CSX is still a few years out, so we'll be bringing the Miata again.

Hybrid booster

Just an FYI. The radiator in your car is not the original. The intercooler normaly is beside the radiator not inline with the air blowing through it.

This is a pic from my Rampage but the CSX was simlar

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by WLKivett View Post
    Just an FYI. The radiator in your car is not the original. The intercooler normaly is beside the radiator not inline with the air blowing through it.
    That's good to know, and that's why I'm here. I would have never thought to look at that.

turbo addict

great buy!!!!! post the vin number on the car theres people on here that have all the vin's for the numbered cars and they can tell you what number you have......... bradp where you at!!!!!!
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome to the Forum! BTW, What number is your CSX?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

all so i belive that the intercooler you have is out of a vnt (turbo IV) or 16v dohc! (turbo III) its not a Turbo II it has an angled inlet and its to fat at the top
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Welcome to the Forum! BTW, What number is your CSX?
    Also, and most importantly, it's missing it's dash plaque, so I have no idea what number it is.
    Reading is your freind.

Garrett booster

I don't know what number the car is because the plaque is missing. The VIN is as follows: 1B3BS44E9HN498876. I hope you guys can help figure out which car it is. Thanks!

Ooops, my bad but... I'm at a bar at an airport waiting for a flight... reading is not really my thing right now

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFleet View Post
    I don't know what number the car is because the plaque is missing. The VIN is as follows: 1B3BS44E9HN498876. I hope you guys can help figure out which car it is. Thanks!
    BradP or Turbodave or others have the list

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 86seeS View Post
    all so i belive that the intercooler you have is out of a vnt (turbo IV) or 16v dohc! (turbo III) its not a Turbo II it has an angled inlet and its to fat at the top
    Someone must have done some stuff to this thing in the past! The former owner also said that it has an upgraded ECU of some sort and bigger injectors.

Edit: I almost forgot. It does say Shelby on the intercooler, so maybe it came from a later car.

Hopefully someone pops in here and has that VIN list! I do know the door has a 7/87 build date, so it's gotta be one of the last ones built. Either that or the door isn't original.

Maybe Mopar Performance Stage II and 36 or 42 PPH injecotrs? How much boost does it make?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Maybe Mopar Performance Stage II and 36 or 42 PPH injecotrs? How much boost does it make?
    I have no clue how much boost it makes. It doesn't run yet!

Doh!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

take a pic of the ecu if theres any stickers or numbers on the case chances are its a mopar perf. or a fwd perf.

turbo addict

i gave brad the vin hes going to get back to me when he gets home later on

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFleet View Post
    I actually think I had a conversation with you last year at the Challenge!!!! Turbo Shadow with the flames, right? We brought a red turbo Miata. And yes, I'll see you down there, but the CSX is still a few years out, so we'll be bringing the Miata again.
    Yes, that's me. I saw your posts about this car on the GRM board. Awesome find. I'll be down there, but not with the Shadow.

It looks to me like it might be the stock intercooler, but with a non turbo or a T-I radiator. My guess is that the stock intercooled rad, which is not as wide (IC mounts to the side of the rad, not behind it) was leaking, the person couldn't find another stock intercooled rad and put the easier to find, wider rad in there.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 86seeS View Post
    take a pic of the ecu if theres any stickers or numbers on the case chances are its a mopar perf. or a fwd perf.
    Stupid question: Where is the ECU?

Also, thanks for fowarding the VIN! I can't wait to see what it is.

And Pat, interesting theory on the radiator/intercooler business. We should have a beer at the Challenge and talk Turbo Dodges/Shelbys.

This site is great!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast