Thread: head milling effects???

Mitsu booster

head milling effects???

I have a 2.2 (TII) cb 8v bored .040 over with forged Wiseco pistons. My head has been milled twice giving me a total .016" off of the surface. Will this leave enough clearance for my valves? Will it have much effect on my compression? Will it effect my compression enough to cause damage on factory boost (12 psi, rarely spikes), fuel, and electronics?
    My only fuel tweak is a Walbro 255 high pressure (in tank) pump.

Mitsu booster

Re: head milling effects???

*Same factory head that came with the motor by the way. Just thought I'd add...

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Wiseco claims in their piston info sheet that their valve notches are machined slightly deeper to compensate for head/block decking (to make them flat again)

But, on my T-III Wisecos, I noticed the valve notches were a bit shallower (around .010), yet the compression height was less than stock (about .010 again). So, on mine, they equaled out the same I guess.

I wouldn't worry too much about the .016" unless running a reground performance cam.

Anyone know what the valve to piston clearances are on an 8v T-II, and on the 16v T-III? (have yet to mock mine up as I wait for the crank to be reground....)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hybrid booster

If you want to put it back to normal compression, Felpro makes a copper shim to compensate for head milling. They are about $20, I think I got one at NAPA.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spraynlog View Post
    if you want to put it back to normal compression, felpro makes a copper shim to compensate for head milling. They are about $20, i think i got one at napa.
    +2. :d
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

The gasket I bought for it is a Mopar Performance stock-thickness gasket. Will there still be a good seal with a shim? I also wanna be sure that future boost increases won't be a problem with the milling and/or a shim. If a shim won't effect my performance at all, then that would be great! Thank you both for replying by the way.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

At what point does milling the head affect the cam timing?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    At what point does milling the head affect the cam timing?
    Rob,
    I put together quite a few motors and I always degree the cams in. There are really too many variables to definitively give you a #. Some Fidanza cam pulleys I've measured were made 4 degrees off by themselves! Factory cam sprockets can be off a couple degrees as well. Camshafts certainly can be ground incorrectly and be off by a couple degrees. Crank sprockets too. Resurfacing the head and deck of block will retard cam timing. Add these all up and if all going the same direction, it can be significant.
    For example I put together a guys 2.2 motor. Had one of Menegon's cams, the incorrectly made Fidanza pulley, both head and deck were resurfaced .006 each. The cam was so retarded I ended up having to advance the cam 8 degrees to get the cam at it's intended installed centerline! I ultimately advanced the cam one full tooth so I had some adjustability left on the fidanza pulley. That is not typical, but you can bet if the head and deck has been cleaned up (like in a rebuild) you can bet the cam will be retarded 2-3 degrees. That is at least what I have found to be common.
    Hope that helps answer your question,
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 07-05-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added info

Yeah pretty much, we've been playing w/ it a bit in DodgeZ's CSX, which has a pretty milled down head, it was having some issues we thought may have been related. Seems it was actually something else, but the cam definitely needs to be set right anyway.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 89sdac View Post
    The gasket I bought for it is a Mopar Performance stock-thickness gasket. Will there still be a good seal with a shim? I also wanna be sure that future boost increases won't be a problem with the milling and/or a shim. If a shim won't effect my performance at all, then that would be great! Thank you both for replying by the way.
    AS long as you coat the shim with copper spray, they work fine. I used one for a few years at 30 psi, high etc's and all around abuse,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

Do you coat the copper shim on both sides with copper spray? I bought Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket btw.
    Last edited by 89sdac; 07-08-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

just run the MP headgasket....i thought they were .030 or .060" thicker then stock??

so i wouldnt worry about it

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Yeah pretty much, we've been playing w/ it a bit in DodgeZ's CSX, which has a pretty milled down head, it was having some issues we thought may have been related. Seems it was actually something else, but the cam definitely needs to be set right anyway.
    hehe Rob, Kevin and I had that same discussion last night! Man, I had no idea that cam timing was as critical as it can be. And apparently the roller cam with a square tooth gear can adjust cam timing as well. Why can't they just make stuff easy?!?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    hehe Rob, Kevin and I had that same discussion last night! Man, I had no idea that cam timing was as critical as it can be. And apparently the roller cam with a square tooth gear can adjust cam timing as well. Why can't they just make stuff easy?!?
    Lol I know right
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC