Thread: Compressor surge and low boost.

Compressor surge and low boost.

I have had problems with this before (actually, I never resolved the issue at all). I am having "flutter" problems with my mini and I cannot achieve more than 18 psi of boost. The MBC responds to lower settings, but once it is adjusted to be above that, (I assume) that something in the charge-air piping is bleeding the pressurized air off.
    I have a TurboXS RFL BOV. This is the second new one I have put on the van and I suspect that it is leaking and constantly causes my compressor to surge, especially at part-throttle. I have "shimmed" the spring to hold more boost, but not only does the flutter get worse with the tightened spring, but it still holds no more pressure; 18 psi maximum.
    Would mounting the BOV closer to the compressor housing outlet relieve this flutter? As it is, the BOV is positioned right before the TB. I am using a dedicated boost reference line right off of the intake plenum to control the BOV, BTW. Nothing is tee'd into it.
    What else should I look for? This is driving me nuts!
    Also, I did some VB mods (blocked accumulator and adjusted line pressure) and the trans is doing much better, I just wish I could throw more boost at it at this point, but I think this POS BOV is prohibiting my progress.........

-Les

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Compressor surge and low boost.

Sell it. Get a 1g DSM BOV. Done.

No adjustment required under 17psi of boost.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

what type of mbc, and what turbo are you running?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Take a vid of the sound.

If you BOV isn't leaking then your turbo is the wrong one and nothing short of a ported type cover, porting the crap out of your engine etc will solve it without changing the turbo.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The problem might be the BOV. If so, get a better model; I recommend either a used 1G DSM or TiAL.

I am going to buy a (another) BOV. I had the "flutter" problem with the other one as well. The turbo is a Turbonetics T3/T4 .50 trim. I got it from Ubmbass to replace the other turbo I killed the thrust washer in. The intake (1-piece), head, and exhaust mani have all been ported, Simon.
    I could run a DSM BOV, but it must be able to hold up to 30 psi. Crush it? I'll read up on it now.

-Les

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
    I am going to buy a (another) BOV. I had the "flutter" problem with the other one as well. The turbo is a Turbonetics T3/T4 .50 trim. I got it from Ubmbass to replace the other turbo I killed the thrust washer in. The intake (1-piece), head, and exhaust mani have all been ported, Simon.
    I could run a DSM BOV, but it must be able to hold up to 30 psi. Crush it? I'll read up on it now.

-Les
    DO NOT CRUSH IT!

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_bov_mod.html
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    +1. After modifying the lower port, I've pressure tested mine up to 40 psi and it didn't leak.

turbo addict

it could be his MBC, thats why i asked...

dissconnect it and see if you can make more boost, i usaully dont suggest this, but its free (unless you blow something up )

I will do this tonight, OmniLuvr. I am going to delete the BOV altogether as well just to make sure I am not experiencing just another large boost leak at a different location than the BOV.

-Les

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

50 trim better not surge, lol.

I crushed mine a tad, let's me hold 20 psi before leaking, which is better for the street,

I have one for you, moddified, if want? Cheap,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

i would try just eliminating one thing at a time, so you decide which one (mbc seams easier, but please dont over boost)

How much, Simon? You got a flange to match?

-Les