Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Custom roller rockers

Garrett booster

Re: Custom roller rockers

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    I polish mine like this.......Attachment 65923 run 8500 rpm, with 370# springs. Rarely break. And always because something else caused it.
    Any info on valve springs? Are those hand polished or rem polished?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Loudexploder View Post
    Any info on valve springs? Are those hand polished or rem polished?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hand polished followers, Crane springs. 140# on the seat, 370#@ .600 lift. special head machining must be done to fit these springs. they are not drop in and go. For solid roller cam only.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Mitsu booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Good read. I'm building a max effort stock eliminator engine. I am limited to .445 lift with zero lash. I will be making the lifter solid and using shims to set lash. I have a lot of time on the chevy trailblazer engine for max effort high rpm engine and the rockers look very similar. We have tried the Jesel ones and the stock ones with a EDM hole for oiling seems to work just as good. The car I'm building is a 84. I plan on the common block and 8 bolt cranks. And using the better belt.

I do a lot of development on cam profiles and a lot of what's been said is somewhat correct and sometimes not.
    First is no matter what you do you have to degree the cam into the right place in reference to crankshaft degrees of rotation. The non-roller rockers will allow you dramatically more room to get crazy with accel rates on your lobe profiles. Just imagine a 6 foot in diameter arc vs the diameter of the roller wheel. That being said, can you make it live. I will have a strip only car where longevity is not as much as a priority as performance.
    Whoever it was that talked about wheel diameter was absolutely correct in that it effects accel rates but not the end point timing. What I look for in a cam is nothing I would wish on any street machine. The stress is just too much for long term drivability.

Now the next thought. Friction reduction is minimal. You cannot get enough reduced friction to measure it in a power gain at the crank. 10 hp worth of friction reduction would amount to enough BTU of heat to melt the valve cover off. The OEMs move to roller lifters and rockers was motivated but the removal of Zink in oils necessary for catalytic converters and EPA specs.
    I have looked at this valvetrain and I see a lot of small but cool things that could make small amount of power gain, amplified by a turbo. I'm looking at ways to increase effective rocker ratio. These ideas are both crazy and labor and engineering intensive, but for a stocker worth it. I'm going to rocket the valve open and close to get as much area under the curve as possible while retaining the short seat timing necessary for a low rpm turbo engine. My thoughts are having .200 numbers be as much as 8 degrees bigger for the same 230 degree @.050 lobe.
    Sorry If I come off as a know it all, but I have many years of extreme engine development and I'm going to have to put a lot of thought process into this little engine.

The maximum NHRA legal turbine housing you can run will be a major factor so far as your cam timing events, or more accurately I should say 'valve timing events'. As I recall you are allowed any duration and LCA but must stick with stock lift. Many times long duration-short lift lobes are easier on valve train and springs.
    If you can get the turbine housing to flow enough within the guidelines of the rules then 118 deg LCA is un necessary and you can tighten up the LCA for nice gains.
    You are absolutely correct about these smallish heads needing max valve open time area. In the past many were led to believe long duration cams (within reason) would kill power, I found out that was not necessarily true so long as the turbine is not a choke.
    The slider cams were very effective. The main problem was RAPID wear, I always wanted to have the slider followers and cam nitrided, but didn't try it cause I went to solid roller cams and never looked back.
    I wish I knew more about the turbocharger rules for stock elims. Are you allowed a clipped turbine wheel?
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Mitsu booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

the rule is simple on turbos the leading edge can be no more than 2 MM bigger than stock. The blueprint gives a dimension for inducer bore and wheel diameter at inducer. So basically, any turbo you want as long as the inducer 1.683 Compressor wheel diameter 1.707 Compressor housing diameter.

So, the exhaust (turbine) side can be anything, or any AR, so long as the intake (compressor) is only 2mm larger than stock?

- - - Updated - - -

Are there any rules/restrictions on the size of the tubing diameter to and from the turbo? are there any restrictions on the intercooler size?

What stock class are you shooting for? and what is the current national record (NHRA)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234