Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom roller rockers

Re: Custom roller rockers

OK, someone start making and selling them!
    later Dick Westerhof

turbo addict

Just like that Warren. .. always two steps ahead. My hat's off to you.

Looking forward to you updating the results of all your top end work later this season! ... 'specially the cam grind info. Is Mike Jones working with you on that front?

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    Just like that Warren. .. always two steps ahead. My hat's off to you.

Looking forward to you updating the results of all your top end work later this season! ... 'specially the cam grind info. Is Mike Jones working with you on that front?
    Yes, Mike had some input with the cam, I had a few phone consults with him, he mostly told me what not to do, and he steered me to someone with large enough billet cam blanks.

As for the roller followers, I fully expected to have to design and fab custom followers for this cam, but I decided to give the stockers a try first just to see if they would work, and so far I'm thinking they will be just fine. I have enough time on this setup now that I'm starting to trust it mechanically.

The stock followers are not a bad piece IMO. The strongest, hardest ones I found are Made by Clevite, part #214-2130.

I used 23 $17.50 carbide drill bits to drill 8 followers, and 8 lash caps and broke every one of those bits.....them followers are EXTREMELY hard.

I also had to resurface and re-arch the valve tip end for better contact over the full sweep of the valve motion. (see photo) before drilling.

I too initially thought a roller tip would be necessary but then I realized an alternative could be liquid bearings-oil.

The only question I have left is if the stockers will prove to be strong enough over time. We will see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prototype lash adjusters 033.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	323.4 KB 
ID:	29333  
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

turbo addict

Was the reshape of the contact point due to your lift requirements?

Understand about the roller tip. We'd have to start from scratch. Then might as well look to lighter materials for the whole follower to make it worth the effort in the process. Worth the time/$$ .. ??? If these hold up as part of your valve train this season Warren, I'd think it wouldn't be worth the redesign. You'll be putting the most running stress, to date, on these followers I believe.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    I also had to resurface and re-arch the valve tip end for better contact over the full sweep of the valve motion. (see photo) before drilling.

I too initially thought a roller tip would be necessary but then I realized an alternative could be liquid bearings-oil.

The only question I have left is if the stockers will prove to be strong enough over time. We will see.
    How did you re-grind the tip? I like it, and assume it's done to avoid grabbing the edge of the valve tip/lash cap?...

Have you looked at the Ford modular or 2.3L stuff? Esslinger makes a RFF with a roller tip for the 2.3, but I don't know if it could be made to work or not...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    How did you re-grind the tip? I like it, and assume it's done to avoid grabbing the edge of the valve tip/lash cap?...

Have you looked at the Ford modular or 2.3L stuff? Esslinger makes a RFF with a roller tip for the 2.3, but I don't know if it could be made to work or not...

Mike
    I had both the Ford modular and 2.3L ford followers to study, also looked at the Esslinger parts. None of the Ford stuff is even close to working on our heads. The 2.3L followers are way too big. The modular stuff is too short, and they are all quite heavy and expensive.
    I calculated that if I fabbed my own aluminum roller followers, strong enough to handle the load they would be heavier than our stockers.
    If I do start to break these, I have an idea how to strengthen them that I will try.
    Yes, resurfacing the tip was done to remove the subtle flat spot on the factory style followers. I dont wish to say how I did it sorry.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yes, resurfacing the tip was done to remove the subtle flat spot on the factory style followers. I dont wish to say how I did it sorry.
    Wow, what a douchebag, you never share any of your secrets,

I think that would be a great idea..........Look very close you will see its been done. Drilled the lash caps too.
    Did you reshape the top of the valve stem? If so, why as the valve rotates during operation?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

that's a lash cap sitting on top of the valve Simon

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    that's a lash cap sitting on top of the valve Simon
    Correct, and to prevent the lash cap from sticking to the valve tip and rotating with the valve I drilled the lash cap to keep it free on the valve stem. AYK the valve rotates, but these lash caps are a slotted hat type,so the cap cannot be allowed to rotate. You gettin that Simon??, look at the picture.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Correct, and to prevent the lash cap from sticking to the valve tip and rotating with the valve I drilled the lash cap to keep it free on the valve stem. AYK the valve rotates, but these lash caps are a slotted hat type,so the cap cannot be allowed to rotate. You gettin that Simon??, look at the picture.
    That's why I was wondering and yeah, it makes sense if that's what you did. My screen is too dark, lol, it won't go brighter plus if I did, TM's new colours would blow my eyes out,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Well, it was nicely done so I figure it wasn't free-hand with a Dremel!

Guess I'll just have to use the noodle!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Well, it was nicely done so I figure it wasn't free-hand with a Dremel!

Guess I'll just have to use the noodle!

Mike
    Make a fake valve stem with a cutter end and run the cam/lifter in the head over it!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Garrett booster

Bringing this old thread back from the dead.

I have talked with a company about making roller tipped followers. They basically said $200 per follower Minimum order of 100 (so we would need 104) and a $1500 design/engineering fee. The price would equate out to $1,720.00 per set. They would need a complete cylinder head and would look at a 6-9 Month Turn around time.

Im definitely wanting to do it, but Im not sure I could find 12 others interested in spending that type of money on some followers.

Quote Originally Posted by Loudexploder View Post
    Bringing this old thread back from the dead.

I have talked with a company about making roller tipped followers. They basically said $200 per follower Minimum order of 100 (so we would need 104) and a $1500 design/engineering fee. The price would equate out to $1,720.00 per set. They would need a complete cylinder head and would look at a 6-9 Month Turn around time.

Im definitely wanting to do it, but Im not sure I could find 12 others interested in spending that type of money on some followers.
    You do not need anything aftermarket, the stockers work just fine when the set-up is right. I rev. stock roller followers to 8500rpm all the time at .605 lift. You need to do some prep work to them though.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You do not need anything aftermarket, the stockers work just fine when the set-up is right. I rev. stock roller followers to 8500rpm all the time at .605 lift. You need to do some prep work to them though.

Are there any quick or relatively easy things mere mortals could do to a set to improve them?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Are there any quick or relatively easy things mere mortals could do to a set to improve them?
    Id like to know as well lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

You can deburr and polish them to remove any stress risers. I haven't ever touched any that I've used and in the years running the Charger, limiter set @ 7400rpm and bouncing off it regularly, I think I snapped 1 or 2.

Would have to check, but pretty sure that was on the stock roller with the MP valve springs and I was floating with that set-up.

Since changing to the Crane springs and F4 cam I don't believe I've had any issues.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

I'm thinking I probably make more passes and street miles per season than Shadow and Warren (I could be wrong), but I end up breaking a rocker or 2 about every season. I started the practice of inspecting and replacing them in the off season. They usually start cracking from the roller pin straight down.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

I polish mine like this.......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	follower.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	65923 run 8500 rpm, with 370# springs. Rarely break. And always because something else caused it.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

That rocker looks great Warren

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast