Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Hot Rod Drag Week

  1. #1
    Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leaving on a Jet Plane
    Posts
    1,803

    Hot Rod Drag Week

    Rob Kinnan keeps bugging me about this.

    "12:41am:Rob
    rustle up a bunch of those guys, including your little self, and get your asses out to this event."

    12:43am:Rob
    You have 2 months.
    Get something running, dial it in, and DON'T BREAK IT."



    Anyways, it runs Sept 13-18th. Cars must be street cars; no trailering allowed. You drive to 4 different tracks and race. This sounds like soemthing DJ should do LOL!
    info if here:
    http://www.hotrod.com/dragweek/hrdp_...les/index.html

    Looks like the CSX shall get dusted off... it's the most reliable of the turbo cars.

    "I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

  2. #2
    See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland!
    Posts
    27,316

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    The Z may be streetable.... how many miles... thats a lotta 110

    JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

    www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

    Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    399

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    The Z may be streetable.... how many miles... thats a lotta 110
    Just run E85 then.

  4. #4
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Bristol, CT
    Posts
    2,722

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    The Z may be streetable.... how many miles... thats a lotta 110
    You can't put a pump gas friendly tune to run the driving legs?

    Lack of interior puts you in the "Unlimited" class.

  5. #5
    Bad Mother Flecker Turbo Mopar Staff fleckster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Arcadia, IN (just N of Indy)
    Posts
    2,605

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    Kelly,

    I've been bugging Reeves to check into running this event if he can get enough time off work to do it. His car has the interior and is definitely streetable enough to run and he can haul his slocks with him no problem. I think a sweet turbo Mopar like his or DJs would clean up in their classes at this event!

    John M. Fleck

    '83 Dodge Rampage 2.2 w/ 2.5L Turbo 14.79@94
    '87 Shelby Lancer #213 14.99@94
    '89 Chrysler LeBaron GT Turbo 'vert 15.88@92
    '92 Dodge Spirit R/T 13.50@104 ; 13.34@102 on slicks
    '98 Dodge Neon R/T 15.66@89
    '03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

  6. #6
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    2,585

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    So next year skip SDAC and do this? flamesuit on.

    I personally can't wait for the daily updates from 1320Video if Kyle can swing going again this year.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

  7. #7
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Bristol, CT
    Posts
    2,722

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    I think this would be a good event for him to run since he still has full interior in his car. He should qualify for the Street class. I don't know if they will let a FWD car in because one they make no mention of it and nothing of less displacement than a small block.

    Quote Originally Posted by fleckster View Post
    Kelly,

    I've been bugging Reeves to check into running this event if he can get enough time off work to do it. His car has the interior and is definitely streetable enough to run and he can haul his slocks with him no problem. I think a sweet turbo Mopar like his or DJs would clean up in their classes at this event!

  8. #8
    See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland!
    Posts
    27,316

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    Quote Originally Posted by OnLooker View Post
    Just run E85 then.
    mmmm.. no

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    You can't put a pump gas friendly tune to run the driving legs?

    Lack of interior puts you in the "Unlimited" class.
    Where is the definition of interior? I have seats, carpet, dash, power widows, mirrors, wipers, headlights...

    JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

    www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

    Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

  9. #9
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Bristol, CT
    Posts
    2,722

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    PRO STREET CATEGORY


    Pro Street is for full-fendered, steel-bodied cars with tires wider than 11.25 inches that have none of the modifications that would place them in Unlimited.
    Pro Street cars must have stock framerails ahead of the firewall. Aftermarket bolt-on front suspension, K-members, and front clips are allowed, but bolt-on front clips must use double-A-arm suspension with coil springs, coilovers, or airbags. Nonstock strut front suspension conversions are not allowed. Cars '54-and-earlier may use Mustang II-type or Corvette front suspension and aftermarket frames as long as the frame is street type and not of round tube. Rack-and-pinion conversions are allowed.
    The following are required: driver and passenger seats, interiors fully upholstered forward of the wheeltubs, a windshield of OE-type glass, steel, or OE-material doors.
    There are two Pro Street classes based on engine induction: Naturally Aspirated and Power-Adder.

    MODIFIED CATEGORY


    Modified is for cars with drive tires 11.25 inches or narrower that have none of the modifications that would place them in Unlimited but that do have modifications that prevent them from running in Street Race, including engine setback past the stock location, nonstock strut front suspension, fenderless configuration, non-OE fiberglass or composite bodies, non-OE fiberglass or composite doors, non-bolt-in-style front suspension, nonstock straight-axle front suspension, bolt-in or weld-in parallel four-link rear suspension, ladder bars, nonstock triangulated four-link suspension, nonstock three-link suspension, nonstock truck-arm suspension, nonstock independent rear suspension, IRS cars converted to solid axle, altered wheelbase, non-OE glass windshield, nonupholstered interiors.
    There are two Modified classes based on engine induction: Naturally Aspirated and Power-Adder.

    STREET RACE CATEGORY


    Street Race is for cars with OEM bodies and frames.
    Aftermarket bolt-on front suspension, K-members, and front clips are allowed, but bolt-on front clips must use double-A-arm suspension with coil springs, coilovers, or airbags. Nonstock strut front suspension conversions are not allowed. Rack-and-pinion conversions are allowed.
    Rear suspension may use aftermarket bolt-on parts but must be of the stock concept: OE leaf-spring cars must use leaf springs, OE-triangulated four-link cars must use triangulated four-links, OE torque-arm cars must use torque arms, and so on. Corvettes '64 and up must retain IRS. Mustang Cobras that came stock with IRS may use solid axles if stock triangulated-four-link suspension is used. Bolt-in or weld-in parallel four-links are not allowed. Ladder bars are not allowed. Typical mini-tub techniques such as relocating the leaf springs inboard and relocating shock mounting points are allowed. Stock rear framerails in the stock locations must be retained but may be notched for tire clearance. Weld-in rear sway bar kits are allowed.
    Street Race cars must use tires on the dragstrip that are no greater than 11.25 inches wide at the tread as measured installed and on the ground with a go/no-go gauge. Tire edges may not be shaved or cut to meet the 11.25-inch maximum. Street radials and drag radials of any size are allowed on the dragstrip.
    The following are required: driver and passenger seats, fully upholstered interiors, and a windshield of OE-type glass.
    There are four Street Race classes based on engine displacement and induction: Small-Block Naturally Aspirated, Small-Block Power-Adder, Big-Block Naturally Aspirated, and Big-Block Power-Adder. Naturally Aspirated classes may not use power-adders of any kind. Power-Adder classes may use nitrous, superchargers, turbochargers, propane injection, or any combination thereof. Small-Block classes are 430 ci and below. Big-Block classes are 431 ci and above, including Mopar Hemis, big-block Chevys, big-block Fords, or FE Fords of any displacement. Winners' engines may be pumped to verify displacement.

  10. #10
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Bristol, CT
    Posts
    2,722

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    You might qualify for Modified then JT

  11. #11
    See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland!
    Posts
    27,316

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    STREET RACE CATEGORY

    Street Race is for cars with OEM bodies and frames.
    Aftermarket bolt-on front suspension, K-members, and front clips are allowed, but bolt-on front clips must use double-A-arm suspension with coil springs, coilovers, or airbags. Nonstock strut front suspension conversions are not allowed. Rack-and-pinion conversions are allowed.
    Rear suspension may use aftermarket bolt-on parts but must be of the stock concept: OE leaf-spring cars must use leaf springs, OE-triangulated four-link cars must use triangulated four-links, OE torque-arm cars must use torque arms, and so on. Corvettes '64 and up must retain IRS. Mustang Cobras that came stock with IRS may use solid axles if stock triangulated-four-link suspension is used. Bolt-in or weld-in parallel four-links are not allowed. Ladder bars are not allowed. Typical mini-tub techniques such as relocating the leaf springs inboard and relocating shock mounting points are allowed. Stock rear framerails in the stock locations must be retained but may be notched for tire clearance. Weld-in rear sway bar kits are allowed.
    Street Race cars must use tires on the dragstrip that are no greater than 11.25 inches wide at the tread as measured installed and on the ground with a go/no-go gauge. Tire edges may not be shaved or cut to meet the 11.25-inch maximum. Street radials and drag radials of any size are allowed on the dragstrip.
    The following are required: driver and passenger seats, fully upholstered interiors, and a windshield of OE-type glass. There are four Street Race classes based on engine displacement and induction: Small-Block Naturally Aspirated, Small-Block Power-Adder, Big-Block Naturally Aspirated, and Big-Block Power-Adder. Naturally Aspirated classes may not use power-adders of any kind. Power-Adder classes may use nitrous, superchargers, turbochargers, propane injection, or any combination thereof. Small-Block classes are 430 ci and below. Big-Block classes are 431 ci and above, including Mopar Hemis, big-block Chevys, big-block Fords, or FE Fords of any displacement. Winners' engines may be pumped to verify displacement.
    I'm pretty sure I fit this interior requirement... maybe need to bolt the arm rests back on and make a center console/shifter housing is all

    Drag radials? thats gonna be the hard part

    JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

    www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

    Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

  12. #12
    Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    437

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I'm pretty sure I fit this interior requirement... maybe need to bolt the arm rests back on and make a center console/shifter housing is all

    Drag radials? thats gonna be the hard part
    To me it reads slicks no wider than 11.25 -OR- DR's of any size.

  13. #13
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Bristol, CT
    Posts
    2,722

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I'm pretty sure I fit this interior requirement... maybe need to bolt the arm rests back on and make a center console/shifter housing is all

    Drag radials? thats gonna be the hard part
    What about a back seat? Your cage interfere with that?

    Quote Originally Posted by prepared View Post
    To me it reads slicks no wider than 11.25 -OR- DR's of any size.
    That's how I intrepreted it even thoug it isn't called out.

  14. #14

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    Now that would be awesome, JT, James and I know a few others out there that could do it . I can see it now ''fwd mopars Invade the hot rod drag week"

  15. #15
    Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    437

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    Oh, and the one Drag Week event I spectated at had ALL the forced induction cars siphoning out all their gas and replacing it before making their passes. One centrifugal car also drove in without a belt or piping to the 'charger!

    It must be possible to have a street tune and a race tune for pump gas/race gas. Just swap SMEC's if necessary!

  16. #16
    See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland!
    Posts
    27,316

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    What about a back seat? Your cage interfere with that?

    That's how I intrepreted it even thoug it isn't called out.
    It says 'seats' not backseat

    Cool on slicks...

    Quote Originally Posted by ohiorob View Post
    Now that would be awesome, JT, James and I know a few others out there that could do it . I can see it now ''fwd mopars Invade the hot rod drag week"
    THAT would be awesome. Hmmm... hmmmm....

    Quote Originally Posted by prepared View Post
    Oh, and the one Drag Week event I spectated at had ALL the forced induction cars siphoning out all their gas and replacing it before making their passes. One centrifugal car also drove in without a belt or piping to the 'charger!

    It must be possible to have a street tune and a race tune for pump gas/race gas. Just swap SMEC's if necessary!
    I can change cals in a couple mouse clicks... never tuned on 93 tho, LOL! guess I would have to add a dump valve on the fuel cell tho ...

    JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

    www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

    Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

  17. #17
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,791

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    A 2.3 turbo fox body took the fast 4 cyl crown a few years back. You gotta be at least in the 10s to compete though. The competition is tough.

  18. #18
    boostaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Penn Hills PA
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    A 2.3 turbo fox body took the fast 4 cyl crown a few years back. You gotta be at least in the 10s to compete though. The competition is tough.
    The Huber Mustang, wicked little car.Heres a vid from dragweek vs the sleeper Nova in 05.

    http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/b...leeperNova.flv

  19. #19
    Bad Mother Flecker Turbo Mopar Staff fleckster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Arcadia, IN (just N of Indy)
    Posts
    2,605

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    That's why I think we have several serious contenders here on our Forums. We have a few ten second street cars among us. (Rob Pachner's Charger, Reeves' Omni, JT's Daytona (although it doesn't have all it's interior, Pat Calkin's Shadow when he gets it back running although it is running some N2O, and I'm sure there are others)

    John M. Fleck

    '83 Dodge Rampage 2.2 w/ 2.5L Turbo 14.79@94
    '87 Shelby Lancer #213 14.99@94
    '89 Chrysler LeBaron GT Turbo 'vert 15.88@92
    '92 Dodge Spirit R/T 13.50@104 ; 13.34@102 on slicks
    '98 Dodge Neon R/T 15.66@89
    '03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

  20. #20
    turbo addict Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rockville, MD
    Posts
    3,755

    Re: Hot Rod Drag Week

    Quote Originally Posted by fleckster View Post
    That's why I think we have several serious contenders here on our Forums. We have a few ten second street cars among us. (Rob Pachner's Charger, Reeves' Omni, JT's Daytona (although it doesn't have all it's interior, Pat Calkin's Shadow when he gets it back running although it is running some N2O, and I'm sure there are others)
    Now, now, now....10.97 @129.99 without the bottle.

    I will say, my car has not been a street car for a few years now. It could be with an exhaust and putting some of he interior back in it....

    I wonder how they'd like the ScAries? With a better (although mild) top end, 11's are not out of the question. Wouldn't be competitive, but I would think it would raise some eyebrows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MNSDAC "Minnesota" meeting
    By layapatch in forum Events, Racing, & Results!
    Replies: 937
    Last Post: 03-30-2019, 02:29 PM
  2. Drag racing this weekend at Indy again
    By ATaylorRacing in forum Events, Racing, & Results!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 07:24 PM
  3. Wastegate Rod Weirdness
    By HarderFaster in forum Turbos & Intercoolers!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 11:10 AM
  4. How do I ID a HW rod 2.2 from a LW rod 2.2?
    By daytonaturbo87 in forum Maintenance & General Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 01:12 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •