Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help me choose the best turbo for my goals

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Please help me choose the best turbo for my goals

Maybe 25 psi but why the cap at 25? what's another 5 psi?

Maybe try 8 valves aka Aaron Miller or Jay-GLHNSLHT2 for the intake.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Maybe 25 psi but why the cap at 25? what's another 5 psi?

Maybe try 8 valves aka Aaron Miller or Jay-GLHNSLHT2 for the intake.
    Haha that's why i built the bottom end slightly overkill for my HP goals, since you always end up wanting more and more... If i can get 400WHP out of it i'll be happy! it's going in a heavy pig of a Daytona...

Is Aaron Miller still offering that intake manifold??

Ohh i've got one more question... i was planning on running the stock oil pump, since i port matched the oil pump hole on the block to the stock pump... Is it recommended to go with the high volume aftermarket one? I heard they just rob HP and are hard on the intermediate shaft gear... I gave the stocker to the machine shop to clean and inspect, should i run the MP spring? does that increase the oil pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage View Post
    Haha that's why i built the bottom end slightly overkill for my HP goals, since you always end up wanting more and more... If i can get 400WHP out of it i'll be happy! it's going in a heavy pig of a Daytona...

Is Aaron Miller still offering that intake manifold??

Ohh i've got one more question... i was planning on running the stock oil pump, since i port matched the oil pump hole on the block to the stock pump... Is it recommended to go with the high volume aftermarket one? I heard they just rob HP and are hard on the intermediate shaft gear... I gave the stocker to the machine shop to clean and inspect, should i run the MP spring? does that increase the oil pressure?

Not sure on the intakes, you'll have to ask,

I only use stockers with the MP spring, it gives me more oil pressure, I think around 15 psi more but I don't have any issues but some say its too high for the turbo? as for the HV pump, don't run it, too much oil and it can wear out the gears faster.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Not sure on the intakes, you'll have to ask,

I only use stockers with the MP spring, it gives me more oil pressure, I think around 15 psi more but I don't have any issues but some say its too high for the turbo? as for the HV pump, don't run it, too much oil and it can wear out the gears faster.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info! Maybe i'll just keep the stock spring then? does the MP spring increase the oil pressure at idle and mid throttle or is it just change your max PSI from 65 to 80?

ohh i'll need a set of those spark plug wires you sell. How much for a black set (long coil wire) I have the plug wires you sell on my Rampage, and there still perfect after 5yrs and i've pulled them off the plugs tons of times and they've never broke.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Wow thanks everyone for this awesome info! So do you think with all my mods listed above with the Turbonetics T3/T4 Hybrid with a TO4E Super50 Compressor and a .63 A/R Turbine housing with a S2 wheel, FWD F4 cam, TU cast header fitted with the external WG and 3" 90* mandrel off the turbo my 400WHP goal could be done under 25lbs boost?
    No, I don't think it can be done under 25psi of boost. But boost is just a number.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Wow thanks everyone for this awesome info! So do you think with all my mods listed above with the Turbonetics T3/T4 Hybrid with a TO4E Super50 Compressor and a .63 A/R Turbine housing with a S2 wheel, FWD F4 cam, TU cast header fitted with the external WG and 3" 90* mandrel off the turbo my 400WHP goal could be done under 25lbs boost?
    You would be very close. It would come down to intake and head + how well your V/T is set-up + Tune of course! If you had to run more than 28psi there would def be something wrong.

Is it recommended to go with the high volume aftermarket one? I heard they just rob HP and are hard on the intermediate shaft gear... I gave the stocker to the machine shop to clean and inspect, should i run the MP spring? does that increase the oil pressure?
    If by aftermarket pump you mean the Melling, I've had no issues using them. that's what I've had in the Charger for the last 5 years with No problem. Also, the Melling is Not a HV pump, it's just a replacement pump for the chrysler one. I think because melling makes HV pump for all kinds of applications, ppl have confused this. I spoke with someone about the Melling pumps 12 years ago and they told me this was not considered a HV pump, just factory replacement.

If your going to use the factory pump I would highly suggest buying a new one. No matter how good your used pump looks, I would never put a used pump into a build like this.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Maybe i'll just keep the stock spring then? does the MP spring increase the oil pressure at idle and mid throttle or is it just change your max PSI from 65 to 80?

ohh i'll need a set of those spark plug wires you sell. How much for a black set (long coil wire) I have the plug wires you sell on my Rampage, and there still perfect after 5yrs and i've pulled them off the plugs tons of times and they've never broke.
    Idle oil pressure is dicated by engine speed and bearing clearances, so the spring raises max oil pressure, to around 75 hot with 5w40/50 synthetic oil.

Wires are still $72 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

If your going to use the factory pump I would highly suggest buying a new one. No matter how good your used pump looks, I would never put a used pump into a build like this.
    Don't understand that, if the pump is good, its good-period. All I use are stockers and I feel they put out better oil pressure than the Melling's.

On that note, we shouldn't reuse our transmission oil pumps?

Don't understand that, if the pump is good, its good-period. All I use are stockers and I feel they put out better oil pressure than the Melling's.

On that note, we shouldn't reuse our transmission oil pumps?
    You may have a point, just something I have never done and will never do on a build this extensive. Oil pump is TOO important a piece and inspecting the surfaces does not always tell the whole story.

I've seen ppl re-use their old pumps that looked and measure fine, only to have a failure 3-6 months down the road.

Again, not saying you can't do it, just saying I wouldn't.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

You may have a point, just something I have never done and will never do on a build this extensive. Oil pump is TOO important a piece and inspecting the surfaces does not always tell the whole story.

I've seen ppl re-use their old pumps that looked and measure fine, only to have a failure 3-6 months down the road.

Again, not saying you can't do it, just saying I wouldn't.
    I do have a point,

Tranny's use the same style oil pump and mostly because of cost, we reuse them but of course if they are scored etc, then they are replaced with another used one,

I do have a point,

Tranny's use the same style oil pump and mostly because of cost, we reuse them but of course if they are scored etc, then they are replaced with another used one,
    Tranny's generally aren't exposed to the same level of viscosity breakdown as an engine because of the lack of combustion. I'd think that they would naturally have a much longer service life.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Tranny's generally aren't exposed to the same level of viscosity breakdown as an engine because of the lack of combustion. I'd think that they would naturally have a much longer service life.
    Nah, you can fubar a tranny pump fast, especially if something lets go and puts metal thru the trans.

Matter of fact, when my converter let go, filled my trans full of metal, put in a pinch just put another converter on and cleaned out as best as possible, tore it down later as I split the case, pump was worn out, scored badly,

We all do what works, you do things and I do things, its all good,

turbo addict

I have a T04E Super 57 trim turbo with stage 2 turbine wheel for sale, it'll fit your need.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47505

Thanks again for the advise! so it comes down to a matter of opinion... i'd rather run a new one, but i've heard bad stories of the intermediate shaft gear stripping and chrysler stopped building the original replacement one years ago (the half cast/aluminum ones) so does the stock melling replacement oil pump have the oil port hole just like the stocker? I also thought all the melling ones were HV, so thanks Shadow!

Thanks for that link to your turbo for sale tryingbe. that one is a 57 trim and not watercooled, so im not sure if its what a need (i'd like a watercooled center section for sure)

so does the stock melling replacement oil pump have the oil port hole just like the stocker?
    I would hope so or the oil can't get out,

I would hope so or the oil can't get out,
    haha i meant in hole size, :P. The reason i'm asking is i port matched the hole in the block to the stock pump already.. before giving the bottom end to the machine shop. as long as the mopar replacement is close to the stock pump hole-wise, then i will just put a new one on. Either way it probably wont make much of a difference, but i was just wondering...

haha i meant in hole size, :P. The reason i'm asking is i port matched the hole in the block to the stock pump already.. before giving the bottom end to the machine shop. as long as the mopar replacement is close to the stock pump hole-wise, then i will just put a new one on. Either way it probably wont make much of a difference, but i was just wondering...
    Lol. Yeah, its pretty close in size, so you'll be fine.

Lol. Yeah, its pretty close in size, so you'll be fine.

Sounds good! I'll buy a new one then.

I've got two more dumb questions.. is the oil restrictor necessary? The one that goes at the top of the block. If so, where do i get a new one? Should i do the #4 coolant mod on this build? (from the head to the waterpump housing)

I've got two more dumb questions.. is the oil restrictor necessary? The one that goes at the top of the block. If so, where do i get a new one? Should i do the #4 coolant mod on this build? (from the head to the waterpump housing)
    Yes, did you remove it? Dealer I guess or a used block.

Yeah, do the #4 mod.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Sounds good! I'll buy a new one then.

Yes the restrictor is necessary.

As far as the coolant mod, I see no harm in doing it. I never did it and do not have any problems.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12