Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1985 Shelby Charger Turbo

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: 1985 Shelby Charger Turbo

I got a rebuild kit off of ebay for more like $36+shipping. StraX22 used it to rebuild his t2 garrett and its been fine so far. I plan on buying more.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

no updates to her yet, besides sanding the body down in where the paint is faded, adding rust eater to the undercarriage which is really minor and im going to work on her again tomorrow mechanically since i have been working nonstop and i finally have days off

Hybrid booster

Somethings wrong, check out the images. It looks like someone poured some sticky substance onto the gas tank and it got into the engine, first three cylinders seem to misfiring or getting less oil. The block doesnt want to turn for some reason, the pistons seem inserted in the incorrect order as well. Turbo seems fine. I though the cylinder headgasket was ---- but you decide

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...x/FILE0042.jpg
    Need a better picture of that, put it on something that contrasts like paper towels and take a top-down pic.

[IMG]the pistons seem inserted in the incorrect order as well.[/IMG]
    I dont see anything wrong with the pistons. Those dont even have valve reliefs so its impossible to put them in backwards/wrong.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...x/FILE0040.jpg
    Looks like you might have had a little bit of water getting into the right-most but not much and not for very long. I dont know why the others have weird clean spots.

Why do you think there was something weird/gooey going into the motor? Have a picture?

besides sanding the body down in where the paint is faded
    Are you just sanding through the oxidation to restore the finish or are you sanding all the way through the paint, thus necessitating a complete paint job before it ever looks right again?

Judging by the pictures that paint job could easily be fixed without repainting the whole car, unless thats what you wanted to do anyway..

Hybrid booster

im sanding the oxidation down this paint job still seems in good intact and heres the two requested pictures, they arent resized that way, youll get a good look at the head gasket.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...x/FILE0044.jpg
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...x/FILE0045.jpg

Oh good im glad to hear you're not just sanding all the way through it. I tend to assume the worst when people start taking sandpaper to a salvageable paint job.

I dont see anything super-glaring obvious but it looks likeyou were getting some leakage in the cylinders on the end.

That motor seems pretty heavily carboned up. Id definitely spend some time cleaning everything out (including intake manifold ports) before putting it back together. Carbon deposits can become hot spots and make the motor more prone to detonation when the boost goes up, plus they tend to soak up atomized fuel out of the charge air. Pesky carbon.

Hybrid booster

i cant get a picture but when you press on the oil on the first three cylinders its sticky. is the engine damaged at all? and im also planning thr T2 conversion while its down

Its hard for me to say anything based on the oil being sticky because im not sure what's causing that..

I can say if the motor still spins, the cylinders arent all marked up and the bearings look ok, 99% it is perfectly useable.

I would take off the oil pan and clean it out. You dont want any 'sticky stuff' clogging your pickup and ruining the motor. While the pan is off you can take a look at the bearings too. If you've never done that before you'll need a few tips, just say the word.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Its hard for me to say anything based on the oil being sticky because im not sure what's causing that..

I can say if the motor still spins, the cylinders arent all marked up and the bearings look ok, 99% it is perfectly useable.

I would take off the oil pan and clean it out. You dont want any 'sticky stuff' clogging your pickup and ruining the motor. While the pan is off you can take a look at the bearings too. If you've never done that before you'll need a few tips, just say the word.

and theres nothing to be leaked neither, i believed someone poured something inside to ruin the engine or something? the block has now failed to turn..it seems stuck, what about the head gasket? does it seem burnt up?

Well it doesnt look GOOD but i dont see anything super obvious like a blown out fire ring. It seems likely that the headgasket was leaking at least a little bit.

If the motor wont turn with the head off, you got problems. How are you trying to turn it?

What is on the dipstick when you pull it out, like to check the oil?

Hybrid booster

just bought the mopar headgasket, turbo rebuilt kit..hmmm

Let us know what you figure out about the bottom end. It's very unusual for a bottom end to just get sticky and not want to turn unless you spun a bearing or filled the whole crankcase up with a liquid.

Hybrid booster

im actually leaving to las vegas in a few hours and wont be back untill the 8/19 my father is going to lend me a hand and do some work to get the progress moving and once i return, ill continue

Hybrid booster

back from las vegas and time to continue working on her!

Hybrid booster

WHOA! havent updated in forever, piston rings are fried, the headgasket is still useable but I bough an original mopar headgasket from ebay. In other news, the sticky stuff I was mentioning a few posts back is an additive to help restore worn piston seals/rings and to stop smoke that causes that. FAIL ADDITIVE IS FAIL. Everyone, dont never use additive to fix your car the fast way. It might just need rebuilding as I am doing now.

So you are saying you put it back together with a new headgasket and drove it and found out the rings were fried? Thats a -----..

Hybrid booster

no? WTF? hahaha. its still on jackstands all in pieces ready to be rebuilt, itll take a while before itll be on the road again.

Oh ok. All i saw was not knowing what was wrong with it on one post and then all of a sudden knowing it was the rings in a new post, so i thought maybe something happened that i missed.. It does seem like a safe bet, though.

Hybrid booster

Well at first it was a guessing game since, I was slowly taking it apart. I work and go to school until my dad showed me an additive that " reseals worn piston rings and seals " once i saw that, i was pissed. Thats the only problem, its the rings and since I have everything apart now, the rings are ----.

Hybrid booster

Havent updated in forever. Times are hard and Im saving up for what I really want. Engine is still down but looking to find a shop that works on the 2.2 blocks. Ive noticed minor rust in the undercarriage, I think ill give it a good work run. Im tracing back hoses and replacing them all, brand new. Pics to come?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast