Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1985 Shelby Charger Turbo

Hybrid booster

1985 Shelby Charger Turbo

Found one on craigslist with 50,000 original miles and I talked the owner down to $400 due to a headgasket going bad. Current non-op kept up to date. Im going to pick up this bad boy today in a few hours and tow it home. Did I just bough myself a great deal or what? first plans first is having the engine rebuilt then going to upgrade the ---- out of it And my names Edgar To be clear 2.2 5 Speed Turbo

turbo addict

Re: 1985 Shelby Charger Turbo

Good deal man, looks clean! Welcome

Hybrid booster

Those are craigslist pictures from the ad, ill later take some better pictures when I find my camera. Im looking to do a fast 1/4 time..

Hybrid booster

still cant find my camera, i have it on jacks and going to be taken the engine apart shortly.

Where you located in California? I seen a similar one on Craigslist in Perris for sale - not sure if this is that one. Looks like you got a great deal.!

turbo addict

That is a great deal for a complete and straight SC let alone a rust free one from California. Good luck with it. My first car was just like this except mine had a sunroof.

Hybrid booster

im located in the bay area, basically norcal all turbo mopar owners in california should get together and have a huge meet

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Why are you having the engine rebuilt?\

Looks like a good deal.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spycker View Post
    im located in the bay area, basically norcal all turbo mopar owners in california should get together and have a huge meet
    I think they already do.

Welcome to the site. You should join the Shelby Dodge Automobile Club chapter out your way. Even if it is a long drive it is worth it to attend even on occasion.

Hybrid booster

The engine has a bad head gasket and Im going to take it apart but before I replace that part, im going to examine the cylinder head for any cracks and make sure its completely fine. After it runs fine for a while then Im going to upgrade the heart out of it

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Oh, ok. It sounded a little like you thought it needed to be rebuilt because the headgasket has blown, which is rarely the case unless they drive around with water in the crankcase until it spins bearings and locks up.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Changelog: 7/11/10

- Need to Steam clean engine bay
    - Fix left door hinge
    - Fix glove box hinge
    - Fix radiator fan, which doesnt seem to turn on
    - Fix hood, doesnt close

Last edited by Spycker; 07-11-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Wow is all I can say. One that is great deal on a car, and two that looks to be in GREAT condition! As Cordes said, you should join the SDAC group and if you get a chance to make it to an event, you should absolutely do it. I've been to 3 so far and driven to all of them, usually about 10-12 hours average to each.

For the fan, check to see if it even works (apply direct power to the green and black from the battery). If it does turn on, you'll have 2 relays on the driver's strut tower to check. If you need the wiring sheets let me know and I'll get them taken and posted for you. Welcome to the site!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

i tested the fan with direct power from the battery and it works. if you can pass me the relay sheets, thatll be helpful! thanks

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

i tested the fan with direct power from the battery and it works. if you can pass me the relay sheets, thatll be helpful! thanks
    The relay for the fan is easily identifiable as it has the same large gauge green wire running to it. It is located on the driver's side strut tower.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The relay for the fan is easily identifiable as it has the same large gauge green wire running to it. It is located on the driver's side strut tower.
    Posting shortly. And the fan is ALSO connected to the other relay if you have A/C, which is the one right next to it with the 3 and 2 wire connectors. If that wire isn't in the circuit with that relay, it won't turn on.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

i dony see an AC compressor, so that means i dont AC but i do have the controls for it which is weird

Well it just means it's not installed, maybe. If you have the condenser and/or the mount at the firewall, you'll have the A/C relay. Here are the diagrams. Turns out I had them all along already online.

http://minigts.com/servicemanual/85_.../LMZ_Diagrams/

That is the entire wiring diagram set for the 1985 L body.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the link, its helpful. Im glad this website helps unlike the turbododge website that are straight up --------.

What other website?

We (SDAC-CA) meet on the first thursday of the month in LaHambra (at least that is where I think it is). Usually have 20-30 sometimes higher people show up to a meet. All kinds of Turbo Mopars too. I can get you the address if you'd like to try to make it one time (Its been long time since i've been to an meet though).

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast