Thread: Who won Top Gun? Autocross?

turbo addict

Who won Top Gun? Autocross?

Wasn't able to attend the awards on Wednesday night. Does anyone have the results of Top Gun and from the Autocross?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

Re: Who won Top Gun? Autocross?

DJ snagged the Top Gun honors with that fantastically awesome Shadow of his. I'm not 100% positive how actually got the fastest time at the autox.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeshadowchik View Post
    DJ snagged the Top Gun honors with that fantastically awesome Shadow of his. I'm not 100% positive how actually got the fastest time at the autox.
    Good. I voted for him at the car show.

He didn't need to get the fastest time at the autocross; he merely needed to get a faster time than all the other Top Gun competitors.

turbo addict

His time of 31.7x was one of the fastest all day. On street tires no less. Barry Miles had FTD, he was also in the TG competition.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeshadowchik View Post
    Great car indeed and worthy of the Top Gun Award. It was nice seeing it in person

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

The way the points were totaled for the TG competition, doing great in one event didn't assure a good TG placement. Having respectable times or scores in all the events was necessary.

DJ won his class at the car show, but only scored a mediocre TG vote there. While he was very quick at the autocross, he was not all that quick among the TG competitors at the drags.

But not being the lowest at any of the events, made DJ a Top Gun with the highest total score.

And for example, Bill Baker and James Reeves were the highest scoring at both the car show and drags, but their autocross scores were too weak to get either of them the TG lead overall.

A very complex scoring formula which was taken from the Grassroots Challenge was used to score the TG competition. The reason for using it was that it fairly weights all the events and gives a fair score among all competitors compared to each other (sort of like a class curve).

I am not sure we will use this formula in the future as I cannot even describe it. I didn't do the TG scoring, our event coordinators did. I have another method in mind and will apply it to this year's numbers and see if my way provides the same results.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    The way the points were totaled for the TG competition, doing great in one event didn't assure a good TG placement. Having respectable times or scores in all the events was necessary.

DJ won his class at the car show, but only scored a mediocre TG vote there. While he was very quick at the autocross, he was not all that quick among the TG competitors at the drags.

But not being the lowest at any of the events, made DJ a Top Gun with the highest total score.

And for example, Bill Baker and James Reeves were the highest scoring at both the car show and drags, but their autocross scores were too weak to get either of them the TG lead overall.

A very complex scoring formula which was taken from the Grassroots Challenge was used to score the TG competition. The reason for using it was that it fairly weights all the events and gives a fair score among all competitors compared to each other (sort of like a class curve).

I am not sure we will use this formula in the future as I cannot even describe it. I didn't do the TG scoring, our event coordinators did. I have another method in mind and will apply it to this year's numbers and see if my way provides the same results.

Barry
    Makes sense. Props goes to Reeves for autocrossing! And I think Bill would go anywhere and compete in anything with his Rampage. That's no garage queen but it sure does look like it.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

he definately deserved to win that honor. the engineering on that car is amazing. this was the first time i saw this car in person and i wasn't at all disappointed.

turbo addict

Wonder where the autocross/SDAC is next year....
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Wonder where the autocross/SDAC is next year....
    i heard it is going to be in Coos Bay......
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

The brunt CSX came in 2nd for the Top Gun.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

2nd from last place that is.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

I got beat by DJ by a half point. (hands clapping!) His auto X time propelled him to the top from 5th.
    the top 4 competitors were within 4 points. From my faded brain, i had 183.33 and DJ ended up with 183.83! Half a point! CLOSE!

Hats off for DJ installing his rear polybushings rear bar at 2am!! as i watched with humor. Wont do that again! You are a "spirit of SDAC" winner!!
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

turbo addict

I'm all for it being in coos bay.. like thats gonna happen! lol.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    i heard it is going to be in Coos Bay......
    Awesome! We have a Coos Canyon here in Maine. hehehe
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Congrats to DJ and ALL who entered Top Gun!

I really gotta hand it to DJ tho, DRIVING his car longer distance to the event than anyone and acheving the TG prize... simply amazing!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Thanks guys. I would have taken losing to any of the top gun field, especially the top 4. They are all true examples of what a TD can be with some time and effort.

I had 4 goals coming down with TG being one of them so I was very happy to squeeze it out of bills trophy cabinet even if it was only by half a point. The close ones are always the funnest.

I knew the car show points would be hard with all the nice cars and mine being a p-body so that was no suprise. I was dissapointed with my drag times being a good .4 off where I expected them to be with my mph. I could try blaming it on the track but really it comes down to my inexperience and inability to adapt quickly to the conditions. With a couple hours to think about it on the way home I feel like I came away with some good lessons in how to adapt. Conversely I was quite shocked with my autocross run which was my saving grace.

Big thanks to Johnny for getting the sway bar to Chicago and to JT for delivering it to me. It made a huge difference with the car now feeling like I always wanted it to Also a big thanks to Cindy for overnighting some spacers to the hotel so I could fit the the slicks on for the drag racing.

After driving the hell out of it, she faught me a bit on the drive home but I made it in yesterday afternoon with enough meat on the front bumper to feel a small family of four.......but I'll save those details for another thread.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Congrats to DJ and ALL who entered Top Gun!

I really gotta hand it to DJ tho, DRIVING his car longer distance to the event than anyone and acheving the TG prize... simply amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    I was dissapointed with my drag times being a good .4 off where I expected them to be with my mph.
    I think most everyone's times were off .4 to .5. People can correct me if I'm wrong. I know I was.

I blame it on track, heat, and humidity
    Couldn't be me or the car

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post

I think most everyone's times were off .4 to .5. People can correct me if I'm wrong. I know I was.

I blame it on track, heat, and humidity
    Couldn't be me or the car
    Yup, I was off by a 1/2 second and a 5-6mph compared to my last trip to Cecil.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=