Thread: Power window regulator removal

Garrett booster

Exclamation Power window regulator removal

i have a bad power window regulator on driver's side and the little wheel that keeps the window regulator attached to the window is shot on pass side how do i remove the window regulator ? looks like dodge riveted it in but i cant tell

Re: Power window regulator removal

Bingo. They are riveted in.

I've drilled out the rivets and used 8mx1.25 bolts with speed nuts on the back with some thread lock.

I did that to my current driver's door. Previous owner had a shop try and fix his power windows. They drilled out the rivets for some reason. I fixed the door by using the above method.

Quote Originally Posted by t2shadow View Post
    i have a bad power window regulator on driver's side and the little wheel that keeps the window regulator attached to the window is shot on pass side how do i remove the window regulator ? looks like dodge riveted it in but i cant tell
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

A picture would be nice. I'm having a hard time visualizing the "wheel" you're referring to.

It's probably riveted if it's never been changed. Your going to have to grind the heads of the rivets off. I use an pneumatic die grinder. A dremel tool might work but you'll be there awhile. I don't bother drilling them anymore because the drill grabs the head and just spins it. You can try though. Then replace the rivets with 1/4" or 6mm bolts.

Hybrid booster

I found a section in the factory service manual for my '85 Ramcharger that says to drill out the rivets with a 1/4" drill, and then use 1/4" bolts with lock washers to re-install it.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Garrett booster

Thank you for confirming my thought and for the method of repair
    matt