Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Air intake for TU Stainless Steel header

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: Cold Air intake for TU header

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    I have a welded TU header on an L body and it looks like I can sweat some 1/2" copper street turns onto the heater core I/Os to get the heater back in play - not that I need it.
    The L-body has enough clearance, surprisingly enough. Usually it's the other way round, but the L's have a shorter (measuring from the firewall out) brake booster, which seems to allow the intake to fit properly.

Quote Originally Posted by x.Gen View Post
    looked for myself just in case, had eventually planned on a header for my G-body. seems like the cobra head is the only solution, there are 3" versions available. treadstone sells a nitril rubber one that might allow some squeeze. the first link at the bottom shows actual dimensions of the elbow - depending on how deep the lip is on the compressor cover, you might either be able to just squeeze it in, or slightly cut the elbow to allow for a tighter radius. at least this way you can try and measure clearance before doing much else. I saw your one post saying you had about 1.5" cover to booster, not sure how you measured. just throwing it out there in case it helps.

90CB30
    Dim. Inches
    A 3.00
    B 3.00
    C 5.35
    D 1.93
    E 5.32
    F 6.88
    G 3.63
    T 0.25

http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=CHEW

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...+90+Cobra+Head
    Looking at Kevin's car, the only reasonably good way to fit an air intake on would be to actually cut the intake snout off the turbo, cut an angle on one end and weld it back on at an angle that clears the booster.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    I made my log header further out than TU's and put the flange more towards the middle. It put the turbo just about where it was from the factory. Im not telling you to buy anything, but rather desing and build your own parts to fit your personal situation.

See lots of room for an intake but the drawback is that it doesnt flow quite like the TU design.
    I would if I had the welder or the welding skills to do it!

looked for myself just in case, had eventually planned on a header for my G-body. seems like the cobra head is the only solution, there are 3" versions available. treadstone sells a nitril rubber one that might allow some squeeze. the first link at the bottom shows actual dimensions of the elbow - depending on how deep the lip is on the compressor cover, you might either be able to just squeeze it in, or slightly cut the elbow to allow for a tighter radius. at least this way you can try and measure clearance before doing much else. I saw your one post saying you had about 1.5" cover to booster, not sure how you measured. just throwing it out there in case it helps.

90CB30
    Dim. Inches
    A 3.00
    B 3.00
    C 5.35
    D 1.93
    E 5.32
    F 6.88
    G 3.63
    T 0.25

http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=CHEW

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...+90+Cobra+Head
    that is the same piece I am talking about in this post.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=25
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

definitely a tight fit, but possible... here's a pic of my 4" elbow/intake on a GT30R mated to a TU SS header.

for the reference: this was on a G-body

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Looking at Kevin's car, the only reasonably good way to fit an air intake on would be to actually cut the intake snout off the turbo, cut an angle on one end and weld it back on at an angle that clears the booster.
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    The next time the turbo comes off the header isn't going back on.
    didn't sound like he wants to put that much more effort into it. can't blame him, doesn't seem to be an ideal solution readily available. was just throwing it out there since it had measurements he could decide from without wasting much more time/money. sounded like he ruled it out already.

that is the same piece I am talking about in this post.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=25
    I figured, Kevin. thought the measurements would give you something to work with. feel your pain, no easy way on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Dodge View Post
    definitely a tight fit, but possible... here's a pic of my 4" elbow/intake on a GT30R mated to a TU SS header.

for the reference: this was on a G-body
    How far does the booster come off of the firewall?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: New GT30R with Chryco Housing.

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    I might trade you for a brand new GT3076R from TU with a Ford housing. It might be an easier sell for you and an easier bolt-on for me.
    if u got the TU header then it really doesnt matter.....personally id go with the ford style and make a custom downpipe with external gate

bump for a good seller and turbo

didn't sound like he wants to put that much more effort into it. can't blame him, doesn't seem to be an ideal solution readily available. was just throwing it out there since it had measurements he could decide from without wasting much more time/money. sounded like he ruled it out already.

I figured, Kevin. thought the measurements would give you something to work with. feel your pain, no easy way on this one.
    Oh I want it work I have way too much money in this thing. You have to understand I was really under the gun to get the car running for SDAC. I was hoping there was some magic 90 that would work, their is one but it doesn't "work".

To put it in the CSX after removing it from the GLHS I have almost a 100 bucks invested. While it maybe SS the flanges aren't. It was rusted up and had to be shaved flat, 40bucks, then 52 bucks to rush ship the cobra 90º in time for SDAC. If I knew it was going to fit like it does I would have just put a stock ported manifold back on. Out of any single part on the car this header cost the most. I don't mind modding stuff but you spend 600ish bucks on a "bolt on" part and you have to do just as much modding to get it to work, well I am disappointed.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Hybrid booster

I misunderstood post #10, didn't realize that was the one you ordered. thought you bought a 90' from Chris. I guess Chris will tell us how good your arm is after Carlisle...

turbo addict

You had my number and you know I had this header on my CSX-T for all of 400 miles?

Thankfully the cast version is a redeeming unit but after spending $450.00 on the stainless piece than another $450.00 or so on the cast piece, 2 head gaskets, 8 quarts of Mobil 1, 2 K&N oil filters and gosh knows what else...well, it was a lesson learner for me...especially when 6 hours from home.

The cast unit with a half ---'d hybrid (S60 cover) and big can wastegate puts the wastegate can smack into my heater core lines...but it has survived! I use a turbonetics elbow for the intake and it has room but man is it close. I'd say with an externally wastegated GT30R I'm going to have issues with an intake elbow fitting. I wonder how much clearance a brake booster can handle anyway? Maybe sectioning/welding is in order? Anymore I'll just figure out a way.

The true "bolt on" days sure were fun weren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    You had my number and you know I had this header on my CSX-T for all of 400 miles?

Thankfully the cast version is a redeeming unit but after spending $450.00 on the stainless piece than another $450.00 or so on the cast piece, 2 head gaskets, 8 quarts of Mobil 1, 2 K&N oil filters and gosh knows what else...well, it was a lesson learner for me...especially when 6 hours from home.

The cast unit with a half ---'d hybrid (S60 cover) and big can wastegate puts the wastegate can smack into my heater core lines...but it has survived! I use a turbonetics elbow for the intake and it has room but man is it close. I'd say with an externally wastegated GT30R I'm going to have issues with an intake elbow fitting. I wonder how much clearance a brake booster can handle anyway? Maybe sectioning/welding is in order? Anymore I'll just figure out a way.

The true "bolt on" days sure were fun weren't they?
    I don't think I knew you when I bought the header back in the day. LOL. Looking back I have had the header for sometime on my GLHS. Not many miles on it but I have had it for a long time. I was shocked I had less room moving it from my GLHS to my CSX.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict

I don't think I knew you when I bought the header back in the day. LOL. Looking back I have had the header for sometime on my GLHS. Not many miles on it but I have had it for a long time. I was shocked I had less room moving it from my GLHS to my CSX.
    You didn't...not my point...we had a pretty good discussion about it one time but I guess you forgot

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    You didn't...not my point...we had a pretty good discussion about it one time but I guess you forgot

I think I called you about it after I found out it didn't fit. Unless we talked about it turboplooza I recall your other problems with the SS log but not the booster issue. I think you most have been drinking
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict

I think I called you about it after I found out it didn't fit. Unless we talked about it turboplooza I recall your other problems with the SS log but not the booster issue. I think you most have been drinking
    LMAO!

Shutup and go pound it to the Z06

Hybrid booster

i know its late but i also have the ss header with a 90 on mine and its a tight fit but it works and dosent rub om my g body

How far does the booster come off of the firewall?
    I'll take some measurements on sunday and let you know

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Dodge View Post
    I'll take some measurements on sunday and let you know
    cool. IIRC my GLHS stuck out 3" and the CSX was 5". What year is your daytona?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

'92 iroc

Maybe we should have checked for more asterisks

"*may not fit P-bodies due to booster design"
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

How hard would it be to run a l-body booster? Is this a drag car? Loose the booster... Id bet the l-body unit is a bolt on. These cars are like legos!

Lol yeah it might. It's a street car though.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast