Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Air intake for TU Stainless Steel header

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Cold Air intake for TU header

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    I ordered, 54 bucks! I hope it fits, if it doesn't I am going to throw it at Chris when I see him LOL.
    i have a feeling your SOL. theres no way in HELL my friend can get any hose on his t3/t4 turbo and it is only a B housing in his csx. he has the cast header.

Quote Originally Posted by tmef View Post
    Exactly what I thought too. I just used a 4"x3" 90 degree elbow and it was done. Fit beautifully.
    same here. im running a SS header tho. they dont push the turbo as far away. im also running a 3076

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Swap to manual brakes?? So what's this? An Lbody has more room than the kbased cars!?! It can't be so!

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

That 90 hits the boosted. I have the old header also. I got it in there and I am using it but it rubbing pretty bad. Next time the head is off I am going to remove the header.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I'd give that a shot because it looks like a really tight 90 but it has a T4 cold side housing with a 3" inlet.
    Ya, it won't work with a 3" inlet.

A.J.

I'd give that a shot because it looks like a really tight 90 but it has a T4 cold side housing with a 3" inlet.
    Wish I woulda known it was 3", I thought it would had been smaller. I got one of those 0 clearance 3" elbows, looks like its still gonna be about 2.5" past the compressor. If you want I can bring it wed.
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Wish I woulda known it was 3", I thought it would had been smaller. I got one of those 0 clearance 3" elbows, looks like its still gonna be about 2.5" past the compressor. If you want I can bring it wed.
    Thanks Murph. Funny you had the same 90 that I bought. Could have saved me alot of money.

For everyone with a CSX and a T4 housing, the TU header isn't going work. Well at least not easily. Maybe if you change out the brake boost it will work. Of course if you like a restrictive 90 that rubs the brake booster the "Cobra" 90 from ATI will work. It will point the intake tube right at your trans, mostly that tab that sticks up for the ground. Cutting the tab off the trans maybe an option.....
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict

might not be the easiest solution but what about welding one of those short radius cast elbows onto the inlet of the turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    might not be the easiest solution but what about welding one of those short radius cast elbows onto the inlet of the turbo?
    The next time the turbo comes off the header isn't going back on.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict

hmm the compressor housing should be able to come off without removing the turbo.

Thanks Murph. Funny you had the same 90 that I bought. Could have saved me alot of money.

For everyone with a CSX and a T4 housing, the TU header isn't going work. Well at least not easily. Maybe if you change out the brake boost it will work. Of course if you like a restrictive 90 that rubs the brake booster the "Cobra" 90 from ATI will work. It will point the intake tube right at your trans, mostly that tab that sticks up for the ground. Cutting the tab off the trans maybe an option.....
    You have the older stainless steel header, right?

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    You have the older stainless steel header, right?

Chris-TU
    Yes, with the coating.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Yes, with the coating.
    The older Stainless Steel versions were all hand-made and welded up using a jig. Because of that there were some inconsistencies in turbo location. The newer Cast iron versions brought the turbo in away from the brake booster solving any clearance problems.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

The older Stainless Steel versions were all hand-made and welded up using a jig. Because of that there were some inconsistencies in turbo location. The newer Cast iron versions brought the turbo in away from the brake booster solving any clearance problems.

Chris-TU
    Chris, it makes me mad to think you feel I am stupid enough to believe this BS...
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Chris-TU
    Well that would just about put it back in the stock position then
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Cast iron header moves the turbo over approximately 3 and 13/16". Stainless header could vary from that amount by as much as .5". Why don't you compare your SS version to a factory manifold to see how far over yours moves it over?

See attached photos.

Chris-TU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cast Iron.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	23361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS version.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	23362  

Cast iron header moves the turbo over approximately 3 and 13/16". Stainless header could vary from that amount by as much as .5". Why don't you compare your SS version to a factory manifold to see how far over yours moves it over?

See attached photos.

Chris-TU
    Even if it moved over .5" (which would put it in to the intake runner on my car) I will still be way to close to the booster. I mean if you are getting a header you are to the point you need a big turbo. I am running a pretty big turbo but what about the guys with 4" inlet turbos? Which most performance T3/T4 turbos are now. If the manifold moved over .5" that would only give me 2" from the booster.

That .5" would be helpful for the heater lines. If it moved it over.5" the wastegate wouldn't work. I'd have to make a custom arm.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict

I think we should focus more on the solutions. TU said they improved the design of the new header. I always aim to make my own products. The header I made clears the intake with no problem, thats the way I wanted made it. But it does require a custom downpipe to clear. There is very limited space behind the engine so there are draw backs to almost any design.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    I think we should focus more on the solutions.
    I agree, what is the fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    TU said they improved the design of the new header.
    I guess I should throw away my SS header and buy a new cast TU header? LOL. Did you missed where I said I can't see how it would work even if the cast header is moved over half an inch.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict

I agree, what is the fix?

I guess I should throw away my SS header and buy a new cast TU header? LOL. Did you missed where I said I can't see how it would work even if the cast header is moved over half an inch.
    I made my log header further out than TU's and put the flange more towards the middle. It put the turbo just about where it was from the factory. Im not telling you to buy anything, but rather desing and build your own parts to fit your personal situation.

See lots of room for an intake but the drawback is that it doesnt flow quite like the TU design.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I have a welded TU header on an L body and it looks like I can sweat some 1/2" copper street turns onto the heater core I/Os to get the heater back in play - not that I need it.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster

looked for myself just in case, had eventually planned on a header for my G-body. seems like the cobra head is the only solution, there are 3" versions available. treadstone sells a nitril rubber one that might allow some squeeze. the first link at the bottom shows actual dimensions of the elbow - depending on how deep the lip is on the compressor cover, you might either be able to just squeeze it in, or slightly cut the elbow to allow for a tighter radius. at least this way you can try and measure clearance before doing much else. I saw your one post saying you had about 1.5" cover to booster, not sure how you measured. just throwing it out there in case it helps.

90CB30
    Dim. Inches
    A 3.00
    B 3.00
    C 5.35
    D 1.93
    E 5.32
    F 6.88
    G 3.63
    T 0.25

http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=CHEW

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...+90+Cobra+Head