Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Cold Air intake for TU Stainless Steel header

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Re: Cold Air intake for TU Stainless Steel header

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    IMO,If Chris really believes that the cast header fixes all the issues, than he should offer to trade one to each person that originally bought a SS header (obviously on the original buyer would be entitled to this, and only if they still have the original header they purchased). After all they have already paid the money (IIRC the SS was actually more), and he could resell the SS ones at a discount to those who use turbos or vehicles that will work it.
    That just isn't reasonable on a product that was used for years.

If that were the case no vendor could ever upgrade his products because everyone would simply demand the new and better version as soon as it was offered.

The only time that a product should be replaced like that is when it is returned as new because it couldn't be used at all. In this case the product has already depreciated far beyond that and can't be resold by the original vendor.

-Rich

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Well if people would quit jumping in and posting out their --- before reading the thread, we might get there a lot quicker Don't be lazy and not read, and don't defend vendors just because they are vendors. I'm sure everyone appreciates them being here and the parts they sell and develop for us
    There was a lot of junk in the thread and it went on with a ton of bickering for 8 pages. The bickering was the reason it was not productive and the reason it wasn't read in detail.

-Rich

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    You stopped being helpful about 10 pages ago.
    provide pics with measures, so that the sh!t talking stops!
    i've seen a comp. cover with a part#, a video with your hand showing us how tight it is to fit a 90° elbow but no numbers that can be worked with.

anyways you've been told a couple solutions already, how about you try them?!

helpfull enough?

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post

If that were the case no vendor could ever upgrade his products because everyone would simply demand the new and better version as soon as it was offered.

The only time that a product should be replaced like that is when it is returned as new because it couldn't be used at all. In this case the product has already depreciated far beyond that and can't be resold by the original vendor.

-Rich
    I don't feel that a cast header is going to make a differences anyways. You can see how close the turbo is to the intake as it is. All of the cast header pictures look the same.

Chris doesn't have to do anything. That is the different between vendors. I know you say that I have gotten a lot of use out of the header but I wouldn't say less then 3,000 miles is a lot of use. The cheap flanges on the SS header (note the flanges are NOT SS) rusted so bad I had to have it shaved. Which was a good thing because it was wrapped also. The SS header isn't what I'd call good product. Time will tell if his cast unit is better. Again, I don't see a header as a wear part. I bought it with the intent on using it on all my cars. Hell, I am using 20 year manifolds on almost all my cars.

I have learned one thing from Chris. Don't go with TU's first generation of a product. Like his fuel rail that used thin metal L brackets which would allow the injectors to pop out and cause a fuel fire, IIRC this caught someone's car on fire? Then their is his Z-bracket that came out with just bolt holes instead of being slotted. Or the swingvalve with the bolts that are useless. I can't wait to see what surprises we'll see with the radiators.

You should note that Chris sells used manifolds. You can go to his site right now and order a used (17- 25 years old) ported manifold. Not sure where you get " In this case the product has already depreciated far beyond that and can't be resold by the original vendor"
    2022 Viper runs 9s

^^^ I should note this... You either stand behind your work or you don't....
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Dodge View Post
    provide pics with measures, so that the sh!t talking stops!
    So you are off of the kick that turbo is the problem?

i've seen a comp. cover with a part#, a video with your hand showing us how tight it is to fit a 90° elbow but no numbers that can be worked with.
    So you are cool with Chris not post numbers after almost 3 weeks but I have to post pictures days later? Even when I tell you I am not in town?

Let me give you a run down of my past two weeks

On the 21th, I drove 550 miles to Memphis, TN.
    22nd, I rebuilt the 48re transmission in my truck (okay, John did most of the work

23rd -27th, I worked in Memphis

28th, I drove 650 miles to Austin, TX
    29th, drove around all day looking at houses
    30th - 3rd, I worked in Austin, TX (started a new job on the 1st) and bought a house.
    The night of 3rd I drove back to Memphis (650miles).
    4th I rested and prepped my travel trailer.
    5th (yesterday). I drove my travel trailer back to Greenville SC (550miles).

6th (today). Read and replied to this thread. Plans for today are to chill, watch movies and enjoy my house that have missed over the last two weeks. I'll prolly play fetch with the dogs and I may unload the crap out of the travel trailer. Rob is going to bring over a TU ported cylinder head and a cast manifold this evening. So I'll prolly get some measurements.

anyways you've been told a couple solutions already, how about you try them?!
    What have I been told? Spend $500 - $1500 on new TU parts? not going to happen. Take my head off so I can mail my turbo to TU? Even if I was going to send my turbo to Chris it was a 1,000 miles away, did you want me to magically take it off and put it in the mail? The booster seems like it will work but no one confirmed if it will work with the clutch cable, and again 1,000 miles away. Hopefully Rob will have a booster for me this week to test out.

helpfull enough?
    you didn't say anything helpful.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Don't go with TU's first generation of a product.
    Kevin, I could easily ramble on and on about the other vendors that had similar issues with their 1st iterations of their products we all bought. I will not open up a can of worms there, but I want to point out that it is UNFAIR to call him out on that as it's happened to every other vendor we use, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Kevin,

When you purchase products from TU you also receive a warranty, tech support and the assurance that our products will work together. You purchased one product, but, ignored our recommendations in regard to the second product. You bought something you "thought" we would have sold you, but, you were wrong. Had you purchased the turbo from us and informed us you had our first generation SS header we would have provided you with a hybrid turbo with a lower profile compressor cover. Even if we made the mistake of sending you the incorrect cover we would have still supported you by swapping it out for the correct cover. Since you did not purchase the turbo from TU then we have no obligation to correct your mistake because we don't support other suppliers products, just ours.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Kevin, I could easily ramble on and on about the other vendors that had similar issues with their 1st iterations of their products we all bought. I will not open up a can of worms there, but I want to point out that it is UNFAIR to call him out on that as it's happened to every other vendor we use, as well.
    Steve, I don't care what you think.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Kevin,

When you purchase products from TU you also receive a warranty, tech support and the assurance that our products will work together. You purchased one product, but, ignored our recommendations in regard to the second product. You bought something you "thought" we would have sold you, but, you were wrong. Had you purchased the turbo from us and informed us you had our first generation SS header we would have provided you with a hybrid turbo with a lower profile compressor cover. Even if we made the mistake of sending you the incorrect cover we would have still supported you by swapping it out for the correct cover. Since you did not purchase the turbo from TU then we have no obligation to correct your mistake because we don't support other suppliers products, just ours.

Chris-TU
    So you are saying you have known about the fitment problem all a long?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Kevin,

Chris-TU
    I had to replace a window regulator for a customer in his Lincoln Towncar. He brought me the regulator and it was the same exact one I would have sold him, a Dorman. I don't mind installing a customer supplied part but if it fails, they have to pay for labor again. It failed less than a month later and he had to pay labor again, but a little less because this time I didn't have to drill out the rivets holding it in. So any money that he would have saved by going around me was lost. I think he saved $10 on the regulator but had to pay $45 in labor for the second one.

I get anywhere from 20% to 35% off of retail when I buy parts through my shop. I then mark the part back up to, as close I can, to what the customer would pay if he bought the part himself. The more I buy the more of a discount I get. So if the customer wants to go around me and give that mark-up to a stranger than the guy that's been taking care of him than so be it. Go to the stranger to get the labor done when the part fails. So for example let's say the regulator was $150 retail. I probably would have paid $105. So if it fails and I make a labor claim against Dorman and they deny it, at least I got something in the beginning to help offset doing the job again.

A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I had to replace a window regulator for a customer in his Lincoln Towncar. He brought me the regulator and it was the same exact one I would have sold him, a Dorman. I don't mind installing a customer supplied part but if it fails, they have to pay for labor again. It failed less than a month later and he had to pay labor again, but a little less because this time I didn't have to drill out the rivets holding it in. So any money that he would have saved by going around me was lost. I think he saved $10 on the regulator but had to pay $45 in labor for the second one.

I get anywhere from 20% to 35% off of retail when I buy parts through my shop. I then mark the part back up to, as close I can, to what the customer would pay if he bought the part himself. The more I buy the more of a discount I get. So if the customer wants to go around me and give that mark-up to a stranger than the guy that's been taking care of him than so be it. Go to the stranger to get the labor done when the part fails. So for example let's say the regulator was $150 retail. I probably would have paid $105. So if it fails and I make a labor claim against Dorman and they deny it, at least I got something in the beginning to help offset doing the job again.

A.J.
    This one time I bought a custom swingvalve from a vendor, when I told him I had problems with it he told me I should buy his new swingvalve because it fixes the problem. I bought a header from the same guys\, it is pretty much a pile of crap, when I was telling him about the problems he told me to buy his new header because it fixes the problem. What do you think A.J. should I buy anything else from him? Maybe I should buy the part through you and then you pay to fix all the problems that I have for free? Sound like a deal?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

A short clip from the 1966 Ann-Margaret film "The Swinger" for all those swingers and folks that like to dance around questions....

We Now Resume our regularly scheduled programming

p.s. that chick is kind of hot.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Kevin,

Chris-TU
    Chris,
    Please provide pictures and dimensions. I personally want to know what differs with your "TU" turbos that makes this work. Here are my questions...

1. Do your TU turbos only come with ball bearing center sections. What is the difference in dimensions? When you sold headers before the ball bearing center sections (assuming they are smaller), what did you do?
    2. What is the difference in covers that makes this work? Last thing on I saw, the only cover you could possible offer would be a "low profile" cover that only gains 0.5" over his housing. Are you making additional modifications (yes or no... I understand trade secrets).

Thanks,
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank; 09-06-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    are they modified after they get into the vendors hands???
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Chris,
    Please provide pictures and dimensions. I personally want to know what differs with your "TU" turbos that makes this work.

Thanks,
    Frank
    I had asked earlier but apparently my question was overseen. im also interested in the "stock pile" of cores.....do you reuse these cores on your TU turbos??? if so that would make each and every turbo unique and in that case you are not setting a standard for things to work.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post

-Rich
    I could see if it were a production piece, like the cast header, but it was not. It was a prototype. Think of it as a beta version, if you will. And like Kevin says, what's the difference between the SS header (supposed to be the bada$$ mani that lasts forever, right?) and the ported stock mani's he sells? Has this super duper bada$$ SS header suddenly become a wear item? And I can verify that the header does have less than 3000 miles on it, it was not a daily driver car. In fact, it never really moves unless he tuning it or going to the races, and it gets trailered there if it's more than 5 miles away. And these headers aren't that old anyway, maybe 5 at the most.

Not that it really matters, as Kevin doesn't want a cast header either anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Chris,
    Please provide pictures and dimensions. I personally want to know what differs with your "TU" turbos that makes this work. Here are my questions...

1. Do your TU turbos only come with ball bearing center sections. What is the difference in dimensions? When you sold headers before the ball bearing center sections (assuming they are smaller), what did you do?
    2. What is the difference in covers that makes this work? Last thing on I saw, the only cover you could possible offer would be a "low profile" cover that only gains 0.5" over his housing. Are you making additional modifications (yes or no... I understand trade secrets).

Thanks,
    Frank
    I remember looking at the Trannybusters when he first listed them, they were like 450-500 bucks. Definitely not DBB turbos at that price.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

As I said before, I didn't think that the cast header was much different from my header and damn sure it wasn't going to move my turbo 1/2" closer to the intake. These pictures prove that. Not sure why JT changed the title of this thread. The cast header and TrannyBuster T04E will have issues IMO also. JT can you change the title to what I had orignally. Thanks.

P.S. note how close the intake is to the cast header. Not really related to my problem but I felt I should point it out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2565_0281.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	25406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2567_0283.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	25407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2568_0284.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	25408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2569_0285.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	25409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2572_0288.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	25410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2573_0289.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	25411  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2574_0290.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	25412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2575_0291.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	25413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2577_0293.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	25414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2579_0296.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	25415  
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Steve, I don't care what you think.
    Thanx! But for the record: I don't care what you think either.... I care about what OTHERS think that read this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Thanx! But for the record: I don't care what you think either.... I care about what OTHERS think that read this thread.
    Good then you should be pretty upset with Chris right now. Thanks.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Jesus...