Thread: Fuel system upgrades, Fuel pump year.

turbo addict

Fuel system upgrades, Fuel pump year.

Ive hit the fuel system brick wall in my shadow. I hit 210 on stock injectors with the stock exhaust and now that I have the 3" downpipe and a fairly restrictive muffler I have lean spots all over the place. My next upgrade is +40s and a cal but first is the fuel pump. I drive a 1990 and that is my problem, How do I know what fuel pump to get in my transitional year. Some places say 89 and down and some say 90 and down for the old pump. Is there any way to tell externally on the sending unit what version it is?

This thing will be fun after its upgraded more. The power came fast and I wasnt expecting to have to upgrade this fast. What Ive read on here made it sound like it was so hard to make power with these cars but this came easy. I cant wait to see what happens when I get to the motor internals.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Re: Fuel system upgrades, Fuel pump year.

I just installed a 90 Daytona Shelby pump (ES7012) into my project, I figure it will give me all the fuel I need as I'm not pushing it to the limit - I'd go with the Walbro 255 lph pump if I were planning any other mods.

turbo addict

I Forgot. I am looking at the walbro for my car.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

just checked and my car was manufactured in may of 1990 if that helps anyone answer. Did the 91+ sending unit have 2 holes in the tank? One for the pump and one for the gauge sender, Thats how mine is set up.

turbo addict

I went to rock auto and looked them up. If anyone cares to know how to tell witch one you have look at the top. here are the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	23163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	23164  

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You want a 90+ Walbro, 89 down then 90 and up. Never heard of this so called mixed year stuff unless someone swapped tanks.

All our Dodges have 2 senders, one for the pump, one for the fuel level.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

You would be surprised about 1990 turbododges.

I had the problem several times on my 90 shadow. I never had a need for a fuel pump. But things like brakes, motor mounts and sensors were a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    You want a 90+ Walbro, 89 down then 90 and up. Never heard of this so called mixed year stuff unless someone swapped tanks.

All our Dodges have 2 senders, one for the pump, one for the fuel level.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inmyshadow View Post
    You would be surprised about 1990 turbododges.

I had the problem several times on my 90 shadow. I never had a need for a fuel pump. But things like brakes, motor mounts and sensors were a challenge.
    Maybe here in Canada they got that shitt sorted out,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

yea my right motor mount is a newer one but all my others are older ones. I wont even start on wire colors though.

I looked at mine compared to the pics and its an older one so it looks like the older one it is