Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 92 GTC Convertible Resto

Garrett booster

Re: 92 GTC Convertible Resto

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    He was having issues getting the speedometer to work in the digital dash until he figured out he needed the "Premium" BCM.
    Close, but the body computer was not the issue. Nothing that has to do with the EVIC system will work without the "premium" body control module. The issue was that he was using 1992+ electronics in a 1991 car. He has some contacts with engineers or whatnot who work for the "big 3" automakers and that is where he discovered that there was a change in the data bus communication for the 1992 model year. He took the SBEC out of his IROC R/T and jiry rigged it to the 8 valve engine in his '91 Shelby, raised the front of the car and spun a wheel by hand and suddenly the digital speedometer came to life and would actually get a reading. The suppliers of SBECs changed for the 1992 model year.

I did a little extra memory refreshment, and read some old emails that reminded me of a few things:

It always helps to get the wiring from the same car you got all of the
    above. There are a lot of extra wires feeding into the new body computer
    that read switches like "trunk ajar" or "washer fluid low", or "driver's
    door ajar" and "passenger door ajar". To get those last two to work properly
    you will need to wire the diode pack (in the relay box above the driver's
    kick panel) in a different fashion than what the non-EVIC cars had.

Good luck doing that without pulling the dash.

Oh, and I almost forgot, you will also need to get the lamp outage module.
    This is a small black/gray box above the glove compartment that hooks into
    the headlamp and tail lamp wiring and has 3 wires feeding to the body
    computer. These wires are triggers for "headlamp out", "tail lamp out", and
    "stop lamp out" (I think, or is it "turn signal out"). There are 2 versions
    of this box, the one for single rear stop lamp and one box for dual rear
    stop lamp (like the GTC). I have a single rear stop lamp box, but the
    Daytonas have dual rear lamps, so I couldn't hook mine up. The New Yorkers
    have this same box, but again, in '91 or '92 they changed the wiring a bit.
    The later ones have two fuses, one for each headlamp and the older ones have
    one fuse for both headlamps. The single fuse has one wire going to the lamp
    outage box where it splits into two, one to go to each headlamp (one in, two
    out). The later ones have each headlamp fuse sending a discrete wire to the
    lamp outage box, where the pair pass through side by side (two in, two out).

This just goes to add to the complexity of implementing the EVIC system to be FULLY functional.
    The CCD bus will interact with almost all of the electronics that have anything to do with running the engine, monitoring the engine, or taking care of body functions/monitoring. If the bus changed, so did all of the electronics that interact with it.
    Now here is where it gets a bit confusing. You can take a 1990 2-button traveler thing and stuff it into a 1995 car and it'll plug right in and work. This would suggest compatibility over all the years with the CCD bus. You can also take a 2-button unit out of a 1988 new yorker, plug it into a 1995 J-body, and it works.

BUT, when it comes to the EVIC stuff, it doesn't happen from 1988 through 1995. It is as though the bus has two (or more?) different types of data packets running on it. Some stuff that utilizes certain information on the data bus will work (such as the LCD display dimming of modules) is compatible all around, but there are data packets with information such as, "HEY, your door is ajar!" that are not recognized by all devices, and with a change to those items' communication in 1992.

Kinda like IPX/SPX data packets and TCP/IP V4 data packets running over an ethernet network simultaneously. If the network nodes quit handling IPV4 packets and started handling IPV6 packets, all the IPV4 hardware won't work. But the IPX/SPX stuff will still function fine... I believe that it is that type of thing.

Hybrid booster

Ha jackson i was asking you about wipers when you were painting that thing. Nice to see it coming along well.

turbo addict

IIRC the 2-button navigators tapped directly into the raw signal lines for things like speed, fuel level, ect. That's why they will work across all the years. The CCD system wasn't introduced until 1990 (I'm 99% sure of that). I don't think the A604 TCM needed the CCD until the 3.3 was introduced. I know for certain that the TCM uses the CCD on 3.8 vehicles.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Garrett booster

This is turning into a really beautiful car. I actually helped Jackson assemble some of it, but unfortunately I had some very miserable allergies in southern Wisconsin at the time, so I was about as useful as tits on a bull. Which is interesting because I felt a lot better once I reached Madison on my way home.

It may not show, but as an example, try tearing into a wire harness to get it customized as so and then re-assemble it so that it fits into the car and looks better than it did when it rolled off the production line. Some of it isn't necessarily hard work, but it takes lots of perseverance.

He has a lot of time, effort, and materials into this thing. He was using every bit of free time that he could scrounge up to get stuff blasted, powder coated, sanded, buffed, etc. He has is own family now, and with that, free time doesn't freely.

Yeah, the wiring harness looks top notch! :

Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

boostaholic

amazing!!!

turbo addict

looks awesome ryan! surprised you didn't try to fab some tubular subframe connectors while everything was blasted and stripped down to metal.

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    looks awesome ryan! surprised you didn't try to fab some tubular subframe connectors while everything was blasted and stripped down to metal.
    Those are coming. I think originally we were going to push the car to get to SDAC, but now since that has past and didn't make it, it will get done.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

turbo addict

Why would anyone put that much effort and money into a K-car!? LOL

JK! It looks great! I think it's awesome to know there are more and more of our cars that are getting rebuilt to this caliber.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Doin' It Right!

Looks incredible!!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Man I hope to see this car in person one day SDAC 24 maybe? So whats the story with Jackson's pet Pigeon

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Mitsu booster

I have got to tell you, this thread and build has restored my faith. I don't get to to many annual SDAC conventions, SDAC-23 was just my fifth. I managed to get to the car show last Sunday in Lewisville IN and I have been kinda bummed since then. No IROC R/T's, no Spirit R/T's, 2 cars in this class, 2 cars in that class it just seemed way down from the previous conventions I have attended. So I'm thinking, the cars are getting older which of course the owners are also getting older. Maybe the interest in these cars is drying up as people move on to other/newer cars. Let face it, it's easy to be a Mustang fan or a Corvette enthusiast hell you can built your own one of them from aftermarket catalogs. You have to love these cars to do the rebuild like you are doing. I would guess that when all is said and done you will have invested more money than the car is worth. It's nice to see someone putting the time, money and effort into restoring one of these cars.

My biggest turbo mopar regret is selling my wifes '89 Lebaron Turbo GTC after my son backed his car into the driver side rear quarter. The insurance company totaled it and we just did not have the funds to repair it. The good news is that we sold the car to a turbo mopar enthusiast in Utah and he did a restoration on it similar to what you are currently doing. So the cars in good hands and once again in great shape. Still the wife mentioned last week that she still misses her Lebaron. In her words "I loved that car". Can't wait to see the finished product.

turbo addict

I think "life" had a lot to do with why the turn-out was a bit lower at SDAC this year. I know I would have gone had I not had crap happening. I don't think the enthusiasm is waning so much as people are finally doing stuff like this to their cars and other life events are preventing them from finishing or attending get-togethers. At least that's what I'm making of it.

Hybrid booster

Wha kind of undercoat you have jackson put on the car ryan?

The undercoat is a semi truck paint that a local place uses. Not sure what kind. Also, the car is going to get the earlier "strobe" tail lights with the black redone in gloss to match the wheels (will have 2 piece powercoated BBS wheels with black centers and silver rings) and other trim. Jackson is going to restart work on this in the winter. My latest crazy idea is seeing if the 86 Turbo Z lip spoiler can somehow be adapted to this nose. Only gripe is how high the nose is on the J-bodys vs H's and G's with valances.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Update: Jackson figured out why my Cliff Ramsdell transmission doesn't shift. It has a 555 oil spout:

Snug IC mounting:

Meth injection with my favorite braided lines:

The "seemed like a good idea at the time" spoiler that won't play/lay nice:

The mod that hardly nobody will notice:
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

So much win in a single project

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

Fine photography and a beautiful subject!

turbo addict

R/T or SL rear wing?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast