Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 92 GTC Convertible Resto

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

92 GTC Convertible Resto

A little background history:

This is my first car, I bought it at 15 years old, paid cash. Stumbled across it, didn't even know it was a turbo until I called the owner, a young woman who's father purchased it for her as a graduation gift from college. Now married and expecting, it was time for it to go. A little negotiating, and it was mine. My father had to drive it home, as I had no idea how to drive a stick. I taught myself on it, and the clutch survived the experience. It was ever faithful throughout high school, it did very well with the girls in my town, which was of paramount importance to me , and got me around a couple years of college. Eventually the driver's door sagged, and took out the fender. I parked it and bought a series of other TM's and cherokees and it went into storage. Pics of it in HS:

Over the past 4 years, I've put in a rebuilt engine, p&p'ed, new S60 turbo, NOS VNT IC/rad, cliff ramsdell 568 large spline rebuilt w/ LSD, eibachs, konis, R1 Rotors, ceramic pads, SS lines, kevlar clutch, new carpeting, HID headlights, LED lighting, SL wing, Lumina Z34 vents, ect, ect...

Deconstruction and planning:

Last edited by J&H Ryan; 06-21-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Re: 92 GTC Convertible Resto

Paint!:

Off with the old top:

New top, interior being reinstalled:

Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

WOW I love your car! That looks GREAT. Keep up the good work.

turbo addict

Cant wait to see it done !

turbo addict

speed holes!
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Great thread, subscribed

Neon interiror lights? Underdash to look at your feet when you drive at night?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

You might think it's ugly, and the headlight's can be difficult/$$ to locate, but the 93+ upper nose with the exposed headlights is significantly lighter than the old flip style. Also not having the motor and rods in in the center behind the grill leaves plenty of room for a big front mount.

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    speed holes!
    Wat? The hood vents?

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Great thread, subscribed

Neon interiror lights? Underdash to look at your feet when you drive at night?
    LED, but they wont be on when the car is running, its wired into door open circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by daver View Post
    You might think it's ugly, and the headlight's can be difficult/$$ to locate, but the 93+ upper nose with the exposed headlights is significantly lighter than the old flip style. Also not having the motor and rods in in the center behind the grill leaves plenty of room for a big front mount.
    Those headlights doors are what got me interested in the car though. I first looked into a 66 Charger and 67 Eldorado, but my mom said they were too old. I moved onto newer cars with flip doors, haha. I agree with the FMIC part, but I do indeed think that the 92-95 front end is butt ugly.

Off to be wetsanded and buffed out, final trim installed:

Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

boostaholic

Looks pretty awesome so far! I have a twin to that car and was going to be doing the same thing but got too caught up in other cars. It will be this winter before I start on mine. I cant wait to see how yours turns out. Maybe it will inspire me to do mine.......

Hybrid booster

Who did the paint?

turbo addict

Looking good

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    Looks pretty awesome so far! I have a twin to that car and was going to be doing the same thing but got too caught up in other cars. It will be this winter before I start on mine. I cant wait to see how yours turns out. Maybe it will inspire me to do mine.......
    You need to hire me for a week LMAO!
    As for the car, its coming along great. I can't wait to see the finished product. I love the louvers in the hood.
    Please keep this upto date.

Mitsu booster

Nice work so far!

Quote Originally Posted by J&H Ryan View Post

Those headlights doors are what got me interested in the car though. I first looked into a 66 Charger and 67 Eldorado, but my mom said they were too old.
    My mom said the same thing with my 66 charger. So... I bought both =)

turbo addict

Nice project! I'm interested in doing LED exterior lighting on my car as well. Any info would be appreciated as some of the htings I'v ebeen reading don't make much sense. I'd also like to see how they look lit up at night. Is there a way you can post pics of that?

Thats what my Jeep looks like on the inside, and the lebaron will be similar. I may not keep the blue lights I have in the pics above.

As far as exterior, they're easy, I have direct replacement bulbs in the Daytona all around (nothing external is incandescent, except the high beams), the lebaron has the running/brake lights/most interior done, and ill work on the blinkers (they need resistors).

I have all the bulbs needed, just let me know the bulb numbers you need and I can cross reference it.

As far as this thread being updated, I had the car pretty done, and the 8v motor blew a piston land, so its in the middle of a TIII swap, thinking about calling it a Phantom R/TIII now.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Hybrid booster

Chrysler built VERY few of those cars with a turbo and a stick. I parted out a white auto that was hit hard and put the powertrain in my 92 coupe. Love the 92-95 wheels.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    Chrysler built VERY few of those cars with a turbo and a stick. I parted out a white auto that was hit hard and put the powertrain in my 92 coupe. Love the 92-95 wheels.
    Very true. The same can be said for the V6/5-speed LeBarons. Most of those were exec cars from what I remember. Maybe this one was as well?

Even at SDAC14 I was accused by 1or2 guys of putting that engine/trans in there as "they didn't put turbos and 568's in lebarons in 92". There were 232 +/- 3 92GTC TI 5spd turbo verts. It may be the first convertible TIII clone if I can beat Jackson, who's is identical to mine. I got mine first though
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Quote Originally Posted by J&H Ryan View Post
    It may be the first convertible TIII clone if I can beat Jackson, who's is identical to mine. I got mine first though
    Um...IIRC, Jackson sold his 92 'vert to Turbokid...
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast