Thread: Charging problems PLEASE HELP

Hybrid booster

Exclamation Charging problems PLEASE HELP

So on my 87 yorker, im having charging problems, when its idling the CD player with start flashing and then just turn off and the heater control panel will go off then it will start running really bad bucking and then die and the battery will be dead. So I figgered it was the Alt. I got a jump start and reved it to about 2000 RPM's and it seemed to be fine then, but as soon as I let it idel for a little bit its like its not charging at idel. I took the Alt off had it tested and they tell me its good. When I checked with my DVOM it was 11volts at the batter and at the alt. at idle and at about 2000 RPMS it would be at 13.5 ish. Seeing I cant get a new Alt tell tomorrow I found out my car is probably externally reg. as there isent a reg. on the Bosch Alt thats on there. So I picked up one of them but CANT find it on the car. Is there one? HELP ME OUT what dose this sound like to you? Also it will run and idel perfect as long as I have the jumper cables hooked up to a different car. Sorry for the long post

Hybrid booster

Re: Charging problems PLEASE HELP

Also I will add on the back of the Alt. on the very top stud were one of the wires bolts to, it was burnt like it had arced or something. I did look and I guess our cars have the Reg. inside the PM? thats the thing on the drivers side finder the black box right? I guess alot of people just by pass that for a external reg??? Anyone have any pictures and wright up? Or should I go to the junk hard and get one?

I wouldnt by-pass anything. Make sure your LM connections are clean and not corroded, in fact check all your connections. BUT others have did an external..

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...e&articleid=51

Next time check the knowledge section first, its almost always covered there!

Hybrid booster

There's no problem with. Bypassing the reg. I did it on my 93 shadow for like
    5years(my computer was shot and couldn't find a new one) The only thing it
    will do will be set the ck likght off. It might even charge better Like mine
    did. Any how the choice is up to ,just figured I'd share my experince and how
    It worked out for me.

turbo addict

replace alternator, clean engine harness plugs.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

boostaholic

Try running a new ground wire to the alt. I had the do this to fix mine.

Hybrid booster

I took the Alt. off it tested out good. Could it still be the Alt? Or should I just by pass the PM ? the external Reg. they sold me was for a 87 new yorker with a 2.2 turbo. Can I just get any plug out of the junk yard? Also what years of PM should I look for in the yard if I can find one of them?

turbo addict

no 85 or later Turbo Mopars EVER came with an external reg. Don't believe the douchebag behind the counter. He probably wasn't even born in 87.

Like I said on the other forum your alternator is probably crappy, even though the stupid parts store machine says it's good. Get another, go to a different store, try a j-yard one. Upgrade to the Nippondenso. Try a spare Power Mod too, that might work.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

I had a broken lead in the engine harness going to the field coil on the alt. The way it should work is that the harness supplies voltage on one of the leads and the PM should ground the other lead (or will vary how much near ground it gets) to cause a charging current to be output.

I took a voltmeter and read voltage at both of the field terminals (the ones with the thin wires going to them). But back towards the PM I saw a lack of voltage on one of them (the one being grounded). I had a broken wire in the harness that goes across the front of the engine. Since those leads are so flimsy it is difficult to feel where the break is (to fix it), so I just ran a new lead from the connector to the alt terminal. It has worked fine since.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Hybrid booster

I replaced the PM and Alt. still is not charging about 99% sure I know why. On the back of the Alt. were all the wires are, on that black box looking thing on the wiring harness the tap is broken off on the very top of the wiring harness that bolts to the alt. casing. Is that just a ground?

The largest wire is the one that goes to charge the battery, it has a black plastic shield type thing that goes around it. The top wire on the molded plug (it's a bit larger than the middle two) is the ground. The smaller middle wires are the field wires that tell the alternator how much to charge. The bottom larger wire is just a clamp to hold the wiring closer to the alternator.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Hybrid booster

Ok so all the other wires look good, the ground is broken off. How can I fix that? I will try and take a picture.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Just run another wire from the ground on the alt to a ground on the vehicle.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

Ok. Not really sure how that will help considering its bolting on with all meatle to the engine. but I will try

You would be surprised by how bad the ground thru the mounting points can be. Otherwise, they wouldn't do it from the factory.
    Bryan

turbo addict

go to the j-yard and look for a front engine harness from a 87 turbo car, 86 might have the same plugs too. And replace the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    go to the j-yard and look for a front engine harness from a 87 turbo car, 86 might have the same plugs too. And replace the whole thing.
    Probably a better idea...LOL.
    Bryan

turbo addict

while you can get them

Hybrid booster

lol yeah i might go this weekend.

Mitsu booster

11 volts is not enough, the alt should hold at around 14.7 ish. I am still seeking electrical problems in my cousins charger. We have rewired everything... Next idea is swapping in a different power module.