Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.9 @ 110mph!

boostaholic

12.9 @ 110mph!

I won 2nd place in the Neons 2010 Quick 8 today at Great Lakes Dragway .

Race Weight: 3425lbs
    Running 26” slicks on all passes
    5 gallons of 93 octane and 8 gallons of E85

1st Pass:
    24.5psi, AFRs around 12.5 :\

R/T ... .600
    60' ... 2.124 (Best 60’)
    330 ... 5.591
    1/8 ... 8.417 (Best 1/8 ET)
    MPH … 87.26 (Best 1/8 MPH)
    1000 ... 10.857
    1/4 ... 12.904 (Best ET)
    MPH ... 110.42

2nd Pass:

Dropped it down to 23.5psi where I knew the AFRs were safe.

R/T … .481
    60’ … 2.139
    330 … 5.630
    1/8 … 8.496
    MPH … 86.26
    1000 … 10.974
    1/4 … 13.060
    MPH … 108.43

3rd Pass:
    Still 23.5psi

R/T … .239
    60’ … 2.173
    330 … 5.689
    1/8 … 8.555
    MPH … 86.15
    1000 … 11.028
    1/4 … 13.104
    MPH … 108.87

4th Pass:
    24psi? Boost guage fell on the floor, so not sure what I hit this one.

R/T … -.070 (Oops, but it was a buy run, so it was OK.)
    60’ … 2.148
    330 … .000 (Timing equipment malfunction?)
    1/8 … 8.459
    MPH … 86.31
    1000 … 10.919
    1/4 … 12.991
    MPH … 109.21

5th and Final Pass: (No video, ran out of batteries )
    Back at 24.5psi, looked at logs from 1st run, no KR, so figured it was safe even with the AFRs hitting around 12.5:1

R/T … .171 (Best R/T)
    60’ … 2.148
    330 … 5.739
    1/8 … 8.580
    MPH … 87.15
    1000 … 11.019
    1/4 … 13.066
    MPH … 110.48 (Best MPH)

I was a little annoyed at not being able to tune like I planned. I didn’t test my Advantage III install on the laptop before I left, couldn’t get it to connect to my XCal2, so I wasn’t able to flash my PCM with a new tune. I didn’t think about it until I was packing up to go home, but I should have put a couple gallons of 100 in at the track. That would have richened it up a little and let me run more boost.

I’m very happy that I broke into the 12’s. I played around with my tire pressure, but kept bogging at 1st, then spinning on every run, leading to awful 60’s. Another guy running the exact same size slicks, and same turbo (but in stripped down 1st Gen Neon Coupe weighing less than 2200lbs) as me was cutting 1.7-1.8 60’s all day. With those kind of 60’s I would have been in the 12.1-12.3 range.

There’s definitely a lot of room for improvement, especially on the launches. It’ll be about a month before I can hit the track again. Should be going to Byron in July as part of the Belvidere Mopar Happening.

turbo addict

Re: 12.9 @ 110mph!

Time to update the sig.

Awesome runs! You need to get those ST's down and show us some deep 12's next.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Time to update the sig.
    Updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Awesome runs! You need to get those ST's down and show us some deep 12's next.
    Thanks. Yeah I need to figure out why it's bogging and spinning, kinda weird that I end up doing both. I should not be overpowering 26" slicks, so not sure why I spun, probably could have lowered the pressure a little more. Some more tuning sould take care of the bogging.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Wow, that's awesome,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

nice job.

so wait.... the 2nd place quick 8 at the neon event was a 12.9? what was the #1 dude running? i mean we (old school td) have had alot more time to tweak and stuff but that seems a little slow for a quick 8.

brian

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Congrats on the 12’s! Sounds like you have more left in it too!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

What is your launch RPM's ???
    What tire pressure are you running in the slicks and also in the rear tires ???
    Have you weighed the car on a scale (NOT the shipping weight) ???
    If so, what does the car weigh and what do you weigh ???

Next time you go racing paint a 2" wide white stripe on the driver's front slick and have someone film that stripe as you launch.

I have been Drag Racing for over 38 years, just trying to help.
    Chuck

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice job on making it into the 12's

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    nice job.

so wait.... the 2nd place quick 8 at the neon event was a 12.9? what was the #1 dude running? i mean we (old school td) have had alot more time to tweak and stuff but that seems a little slow for a quick 8.

brian
    First place guy was running 11.8, that was the stripped down 1st Gen Neon Coupe. "2.1L DOHC" with a 20G Turbo setup for autocross. He was the #1 qualifier too, so I knew he was going to win unless he red lighted or broke. 3rd place ended up being a 1st Gen Coupe on Nitrous running 13 flat @ ~118mph IIRC. He needed slicks. Can't remember what motor he had.

There was a SOHC 2nd Gen that made over 500HP and exceeded the 150mph speed limit on the dyno revving out to 8K+. His 1st qualifying pass was a 13.6 @ ~120mph IIRC. He said he was missing gears. On his 1st elimination round, he lost all oil pressure and had to drop out.

There were 2 or 3 SRT-4's there, but none of them raced. 1 of them was Chuck "AKA Maddog of Maddog STS", and he doesn't race. Don't know who the other 2 belonged to.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG PSI View Post
    What is your launch RPM's ???
    What tire pressure are you running in the slicks and also in the rear tires ???
    Have you weighed the car on a scale (NOT the shipping weight) ???
    If so, what does the car weigh and what do you weigh ???

Next time you go racing paint a 2" wide white stripe on the driver's front slick and have someone film that stripe as you launch.

I have been Drag Racing for over 38 years, just trying to help.
    Chuck
    Well I thought I had them at 14psi first, but when I checked them after the 1st run, it was more like 18psi, so I dropped them to ~12psi. I could feel the bog so I raised it to 14psi, was bogging then spinning with that pressure. I never thought to check the back tires, they should have the recommended pressure (for highway driving) which I think is ~40psi.

My launch RPM was as high as possible (which isn't very high due to the automatic, usually not much past 3000rpm), I'd have go look at the wideband log to tell for sure. The tach in my dash is off by 1000 RPM, so I don't even bother watching it.

Yes the 3425lbs is the weight with me in it from the track's official scale. I weigh 200lbs right now, so that means the car weighs 3225lbs without me.

The white strip would go on the sidewall? What is to be learned from this, and how do you learn it?

I appreciate all the help I can get, this was only my 4th or 5th time drag racing ever, and I've only been doing it for 3 years (see I'm lucky if I get to do it more than once a year, lol).

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

put 10psi in the slicks before the burnout. Wont help the low RPM, but you WILL NOT spin......
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    First place guy was running 11.8, that was the stripped down 1st Gen Neon Coupe. "2.1L DOHC" with a 20G Turbo setup for autocross. He was the #1 qualifier too, so I knew he was going to win unless he red lighted or broke. 3rd place ended up being a 1st Gen Coupe on Nitrous running 13 flat @ ~118mph IIRC. He needed slicks. Can't remember what motor he had.

There was a SOHC 2nd Gen that made over 500HP and exceeded the 150mph speed limit on the dyno revving out to 8K+. His 1st qualifying pass was a 13.6 @ ~120mph IIRC. He said he was missing gears. On his 1st elimination round, he lost all oil pressure and had to drop out.

There were 2 or 3 SRT-4's there, but none of them raced. 1 of them was Chuck "AKA Maddog of Maddog STS", and he doesn't race. Don't know who the other 2 belonged to..
    gotcha. i guess im used to seeing the quick 8 running at least low 11's if not deep in the 10's. caught me off guard a little.

was bogging
    how do you bog with an automatic with a short a 1st gear as a 604? is the tune off a little? (not meant to be inflammatory....)

Brian

boostaholic

how do you bog with an automatic with a short a 1st gear as a 604? is the tune off a little? (not meant to be inflammatory....)

Brian
    Yeah tune is off still. Needs less fuel and more timing down low. It is a very short bog, followed quickly by spinning.

boostaholic

gotcha. i guess im used to seeing the quick 8 running at least low 11's if not deep in the 10's. caught me off guard a little.
    Just found this guy posted a bunch of vids from yesterday... http://www.youtube.com/user/neonelover3

The NYG coupe with the stripes is the car I was talking about... looks like he only filmed the bracket races, which I did not run.

boostaholic

Full results for all the Neons racing yesterday here: ftp://esteinmaier.no-ip.org/N2010%20Book.xlsx

Sheet 1 is the qualifying round, sheet 2 is the Quick 8, and 3 is the bracket race (I did not compete in the bracket race).

Only 2 other cars had slicks, Adam Wasson's is the 500+HP SOHC 2nd Gen Neon that broke, I think he had 24.5" slicks, and David Huffman had 26" slicks identical to mine. His was the stripped NYG Coupe with the 20G in it. Both of their 60' times are consistent 1.7's, mine are all 2.1's, same as some of the guys running street tires.

I don't think any amount of tweaking my tune is going to cut my 60' down by .4, there has to be something I'm not doing right, and I'm sure tire pressure is a small part of it. I'd really like to have a more experienced driver make a few passes in my car. I had a pro driver drive my car around an autocross course and run the course 4 full seconds faster than I did once. It would be interesting to see if a more experienced drag racer can get some 1.7 60's out of my car.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

....I played around with my tire pressure, but kept bogging at 1st, then spinning on every run, leading to awful 60’s. .
    How are you launching it? How much boost? Sounds like you're nto leaving at a high enough RPM or boost so it bogs until you reach a high enough rpm/boost to make power. You should be able to compare yoru runs to yoru dyno sheets to see where your rpm has to be to make power

Quote Originally Posted by 30 PSI SHADOW View Post
    put 10psi in the slicks before the burnout. Wont help the low RPM, but you WILL NOT spin......
    Tire size might be the issue too, 26" is a lotta tire

... mine are all 2.1's, same as some of the guys running street tires.

I don't think any amount of tweaking my tune is going to cut my 60' down by .4, there has to be something I'm not doing right, and I'm sure tire pressure is a small part of it. I'd really like to have a more experienced driver make a few passes in my car. I had a pro driver drive my car around an autocross course and run the course 4 full seconds faster than I did once. It would be interesting to see if a more experienced drag racer can get some 1.7 60's out of my car.
    As soon as you can bring it out of the hole w/o bogging you'll be under 2.0 60'. This could be a few things tho.... launch boost/rpm, tire size, need more agressive low rpm cal to hit harder pre-boost...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

What the white stripe on the driver's side of the slick will do is this: it will show the camera what the slick is actually doing on the launch. Is the slick spinning to fast causing you to loose traction.
    Are the slicks spinning on the rim, (take a black sharpie and mark the rim to the white stripe on the slick). This works great if you have a high speed camera.

Have the person that is filming you stand even with the slicks on the side of the guardrail and zoom in on the slicks and the white stripe.

As for the rear tires, pump them up to 45 psi and make sure you check the front & rear tire pressures before each pass, heat will change the pressure allot.

Chuck

Brian
    Easy, I was doing it all last year,

Sure you can, I cut 1.9's all last year and I think I did a 1.8 once. Takes time and practice, you'll get it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Sure you can, I cut 1.9's all last year and I think I did a 1.8 once. Takes time and practice, you'll get it,
    Thanks... I didn't mean that I couldn't... I meant the tuning isn't going to fix that part...

I'd still love to watch someone more experienced run my car. That's how I improved a lot in autocross. If I watch someone cut a 1.7 60' in my car, then I know it is for sure possible in it, and that person can explain to me what they had to do in order to make my car do that. Then I know exactly what I need to practice, and I'll eventually get there.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks... I didn't mean that I couldn't... I meant the tuning isn't going to fix that part...

I'd still love to watch someone more experienced run my car. That's how I improved a lot in autocross. If I watch someone cut a 1.7 60' in my car, then I know it is for sure possible in it, and that person can explain to me what they had to do in order to make my car do that. Then I know exactly what I need to practice, and I'll eventually get there.

Does that make more sense?
    Yes, but also time in the saddle. I found that if I leave at the same boost-after trying various boost levels, tune being correct, it will launch well. Trial and error,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast