Thread: 83' Shelby Charger H.O.

turbo addict

83' Shelby Charger H.O.

Heres some pictures of the Shelby Charger I bought. Was originally going to part it out, but I gave it to my little brother instead. Our plans are to do the body and paint work ourselves and do a minor restoration on a high school/college budget.

Goal is to have it ready for the annual car show in February.

Plans for the motor are to convert the car to a weber 32/36 carburetor, direct port nitrous (50 shot?), remove all emissions garbage, maybe a header, and exhaust.

Pics as of today:

Floors after a coat of ospho to clean up the surface rust. Luckily theres not one spot thats rusted completely through!

boostaholic

Re: 83' Shelby Charger H.O.

looks like a great base to start from...wish mine was that clean, looks like you might need some minor patching in the floor, other than that great base to start with
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

turbo addict

Direct port and only a 50? Come on man! That motor has beefy rods, I would build a supplemental fuel system, and run at least a 100 shot. Look at the power numbers guys are running on those rods with boost. I bet it would take a 150 if you could get the fuel flowing. The tranny would be the issue at that point.

I have a rampage and have done alot of thinking about this... lol

turbo addict

find a supercharger!
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster

haha...so...you decided not to part it? Glad to hear that. So, no seats? lol

But, that car was nice. I know I was looking at the floorboards and it looked clean as could be.

Kinda funny the guy ended up selling it...but...people can be weird.

And, now that you osphoed it...go and get some gloss black Rustoleum in a quart can and lay that stuff on thick and let it dry. It'll be nice and clean looking, and will protect the floor from rusting any further.
    I did it to the Omni as well.

Once I get my supercharger setup done, though...I'll have to let you know on all the details to maybe supercharge that one......using junkyard parts

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    haha...so...you decided not to part it? Glad to hear that. So, no seats? lol

But, that car was nice. I know I was looking at the floorboards and it looked clean as could be.

Kinda funny the guy ended up selling it...but...people can be weird.

And, now that you osphoed it...go and get some gloss black Rustoleum in a quart can and lay that stuff on thick and let it dry. It'll be nice and clean looking, and will protect the floor from rusting any further.
    I did it to the Omni as well.

Once I get my supercharger setup done, though...I'll have to let you know on all the details to maybe supercharge that one......using junkyard parts
    Haha yea, sorry about the seats. My dad was like "if your keeping it, your not gonna part out the interior and drive a gutted car."

It surprised me when the guy told me he would sell it since I had inquired about it like twice before! I guess he just finally wanted it gone.

What did you do to prep the floor for the rustoleum? Any sanding or primer? Any pics?

And yes! Im surprised you dont have that thing running yet! Im very interested in the possible supercharger setup

Hybrid booster

haha...no problem. I just have to find a rear seat cover, I already got the front ones that you found before. He sold the rears separatley.

And, yes, the car was sold to me once as well...but, it was kinda shady out from under me dealings. You got the title with it right?

And, I just took a drill with a wire wheel and cleaned the floor up, vaccumed it, Osphoed everything, then took a giant brush and glopped paint on the floor, making it as thick as I could. We did my Dad's Charger like that as well.

As far as the supercharger setup, I have everything for it, just have to make a plate to adapt the supercharger to the Intake. No big deal for the guy thats going to do it for me, but, I've had him helping me on a bunch of other stuff here lately, and I don't want to exhaust my resource...haha.
    But, I'm going up north for a month. Once I get back...then I'll be working on it, and my SC as well. :P

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Here's my take:

The direct port nitrous is a great idea. We all know the bottom end is a tough piece! I agree with statements about the strong rods. With good tuning the motor should be able to hold quite a bit.

Also, i would say if you are going to stay n/a, pick up a free or near free 2.5 bottom end from somebody.. the 2.2/2.5 difference is especially big without boost. I had a slightly modded 2.5tbi /5spd combo in my aries for a while.. it ran too lean on a 2.2 computer but still could do 17.0@77 with a ~2800 lb race weight. Your car is lighter, and if tuned well you could probably get into the 15s with a 2.5 and basic mods like exhaust, etc.

I have a 2.5 tall block tbi bottom end with the fuel pump provision on the block sitting in my driveway doing nothing if you have any interest.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Alright! Bumpin this thread back up. Car has been running well for a couple months now as my bro's daily driver. He crashed it into a tree a few months back so right now its sporting a rampage front end. Body still looks like hell, but other than that its a good car.

Finally convinced him to do a turbo swap on the car. Progress will start next Monday when we tear into the old motor from my 85' shelby charger. Going to rebuild it, convert the car to T2 status, and hopefully have it moving again by the 13th of January!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 1984rampage View Post
    now as my bro's daily driver. He crashed it into a tree a few months back

well at least its running good.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post

well at least its running good.
    Believe me I was more than pissed! He was trying to be a badass and show off and with the crappy tires on the back got the car lose, went through a guys yard and hit a tree. Luckily the damage was all cosmetic tho.

turbo addict

body may look bad now, but since shes nearly rust free shouldn't take much to make it a really good 10 footer if not better. Turbo swap eh... Be careful.. sounds like little bro needs to control what he has