Thread: HELP Code 26 - starts, idles, dies.... about that quick.

Hybrid booster

HELP Code 26 - starts, idles, dies.... about that quick.

Should I be sticking with one thread here?

I put a new AZ distributor (A1 Cardone) for the SMEC into my 1990 Dakota 2.5 tubo project, and voila! It will fire up.... and then die. Throttle position does not make a difference.

Couple of things I noticed - my fuel return line was loose, and no fuel was coming out. Should it be flowing fuel back to the tank under idle?

I have NOT checked my fuel pressure with a gauge yet, but I'm thinking my fuel pressure is too low - I replaced the tbi fp with an 89 Daytona pump (used) - I keep reading about a walbro unit... Should I swap that? (Or should I measure the pressure at the rail first?)

How DO you measure at the rail - unscrew the schrader valve core and put the pressure gauge onto the valve & crank? Or is there an adapter kit I need?

Lastly, I get a code 12, 26, 36,42 and of course the 55.

When it dies after starting I still get power at the coil (ASD) and then a second or two later I lose power through the ASD - I'm assuming this is a cutout due to loss of oil pressure? When I re-crank, everything powers back up.

Is the code 26 for injectors 1&2 mean the pair for cylinders 1&2? I've checked continuity for the wires to the SMEC and they're good, no corrosion on the injectors or the plugs, injectors ohm out at 2.5-2.8

Someone please tell me I'm missing something, or that they have an SMEC I could try.

Thanks,

Mike

boostaholic

Re: HELP Code 26 - starts, idles, dies.... about that quick.

Try running a hot wire to the coil and see what happens, may be the ing. sw.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Did you wire in a SMEC harness?

I agree with Butch, check to make sure your getting constant power where your supposed to and not getting switched power, which makes sense as to why it starts then dies. The ASD losing power is normal, the computer shuts the ASD down after a few secs, I guess to prevent flooding or spark issues, IE backfiring or killing the battery/coil.

If that's ok, the distributor can cause this, if your running a TBI dist instead of a turbo one. The turbo one has a hole in the #1 shutter under the HEP.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I put a volt meter on the coil's hot terminal - it stays batt voltage until after the engine shuts down and then, a second or two later it turns off.

I had an early turbo dizzy in there and it wouldn't do anything. I bought a new 1990 Daytona Turbo distributor yesterday (from AutoZone) and now it will fire up, but that's it. It won't stay running.

Mitsu booster

damn codes giving a lot of problems! This sucks specially when you have a good running car and replace it with other brands. try looking at this site for a solution http://www.obd-codes.com
    _________
    A1 Cardone

Garrett booster

go to minimopar.com, they have code descriptions for our cars. With the code 26 you mentioned, I am assuming this is for a fuel injector voltage issue. On our four cylinders, the injectors are batch fired injectors, so 1/3 fire and then 2/4 ( hope this is right, but no matter, they fire in pairs). You may have a wiring issue in the injector harness, since these seem to wear out from many years of heat. This would cause it to run bad, but not completely stop running
    code 42 is for no voltage detected by the computer at the asd relay. Minimopar says to 1st check the only white ( or maybe gray by know) fusible link. The asd actuates the ignition and the fuel pump. This combined with your description of no fuel leaking and a no start makes me think the asd isn't turning on the fuel pump at all. The asd actuates the fuel pump and ignition for about 2 secs when the key is 1st turned to the run position. When you 1st turn the key on, do you here the pump run for about 2 sec?. If not, there is a problem with the asd or its circuit. You said the coil has power during this time, so there must be a problem in the fuel pump part of the asd circuit. I think you can ground a certain terminal on the diagnostic connector to make the asd actuate. This would help you find the problem in this circuit. On my 86, its a Dark blue/ with yel wire. Don't know if its the same for you. Was the replacement pump good? Maybe probe the wires by the tank to see if you get the same 2 secs of voltage when the asd actuates

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

try and replace the power module?

i also had a pin problem on my SMEC bulkhead, everytime i connected the computer it would push one of the pins out that supplied power to injectors 3 & 4