Thread: 150k mile 2.2 turbo block amazing condition IMO

Garrett booster

150k mile 2.2 turbo block amazing condition IMO

Welp, just got done tearing down one of my 2.2 turbo motors from my 87 lancer. I have to say I was shocked that the bearings looked very good. No copper showing through at all on any of them. What suprised me even more was that the cross hatch pattern was still very clearly visible in all cylinders and there was absolutley no ridge at the top of the cylinders! Wow.

The block I was planning on sending off to get bored out was the one that I haven't pulled yet from my other lancer. That one has <70k miles so I figured that would be the nicer one but after seeing this one wow.

I'm positive this is the original motor too. No evidence of ever being changed. Hell, snapped off 1/2 the exhaust studs in the head even.

Just had to share.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 150k mile 2.2 turbo block amazing condition IMO

nm, i cant read...
    Last edited by TonaChris; 06-14-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The internal condition of an engine can tell alot about how its been treated and maintained during its lifespan.

Did the headgasket on my cars original 2.2 tbi engine around 225,000 miles. cross hatch looked pretty good and there was no ridge at the top. pistons were slightly carboned but overall clean. never looked at the bottom end and until it gives me a reason to (which I hope it doesnt) I'm not gonna touch it.

junkyard 2.2 tbi longblock bought for the oilpan and crankshaft had massive amounts of ring ridge, pistons so oiled and carboned the valve reliefs in the pistons were filled level, and a cooling system that was so full of sediment and rust that it was 1/2 way up the core plugs and the waterpump/housing was packed full of sediment also

Garrett booster

Yeah i'd say it was maintained well. This guy was original owner, they type of guy to write the miles on the oil filter, spark plug gap on the valvecover etc.

Original head gasket. There's NO way this engine's ever been cracked open.

Cool, congrats on the good fortune
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]