Thread: Rear spindles 1990 G body

Rear Hub /spindles 1990 G body

Ok guys I am having some issues with the rear brake set up on a 1990 Daytona with 11'' rear disc brakes. I am in need of spindles and hubs I have been through my hoard of parts and have found that there is at least Three different hubs I was under the impression that there was only two?

Since this is a mix and match job can anyone tell me how tall (to the hub face) this car should use ?

I did find a rear axle out side with a older (87?) Non-vented disc set up still together will this work or will I need to find a 1990 set up ?

Thanks Paul B
    Last edited by inplansight; 06-13-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Better title

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Rear spindles 1990 G body

I was under the impression that the spindle on all of the cars in the rear is the same.

I was also under the impression that so long as it was the correct number of lugs (4 vs. 5), and the proper lug spacing (newer minis vs. the 'standard') you should be good to go for the hubs?

Re: Rear hub / spindles 1990 G body

Yes cordes the spindles seem to be the same. The hubs I noticed a few years ago had different heights as I had a car that kept eating a rear brake pad (in board) I went through the normal stuff calibers ,hoses and so on with no improvement.

After some thought I checked and at some point before I purchased the car someone had replaced the rear hub with a shorter one. Replaced it and drove on.

Thanks for the input.

Paul B

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I was under the impression that the spindle on all of the cars in the rear is the same.

I was also under the impression that so long as it was the correct number of lugs (4 vs. 5), and the proper lug spacing (newer minis vs. the 'standard') you should be good to go for the hubs?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Rear hub / spindles 1990 G body

Quote Originally Posted by inplansight View Post
    Yes cordes the spindles seem to be the same. The hubs I noticed a few years ago had different heights as I had a car that kept eating a rear brake pad (in board) I went through the normal stuff calibers ,hoses and so on with no improvement.

After some thought I checked and at some point before I purchased the car someone had replaced the rear hub with a shorter one. Replaced it and drove on.

Thanks for the input.

Paul B
    Wow, thanks for sharing that. I was unaware of such things.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Drum hubs are taller than disc hubs, or maybe its the other way around ?

Spindle is the same for everything

Thanks that helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Drum hubs are taller than disc hubs, or maybe its the other way around ?

Spindle is the same for everything
    I also have an axle out back with drums on it I may have to pull all of them apart to try and solve this mystery .

Thanks guys.
    Paul B

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

The spindle or pointy thing with threads is the same for drum or disc, vans of course are different,

Never compared hubs as I've just used the matching disc hubs. Not sure if 87 will work as they have the e-brake in the caliper.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Hmm I think I have drum hubs on my car with disc brakes. I will have to double check though I did it a long time ago...

I am not sure I understand why it would eat the inner pad though. We have a single piston caliper setup so the piston wouldn't the piston just move farther inward or outward to adjust if the hub height was slightly off?

-Rich

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Hmm I think I have drum hubs on my car with disc brakes. I will have to double check though I did it a long time ago...

I am not sure I understand why it would eat the inner pad though. We have a single piston caliper setup so the piston wouldn't the piston just move farther inward or outward to adjust if the hub height was slightly off?

-Rich
    Unless the sliders are maxed out and its constantly loading the inner pad, which would make sense if the hub was out too far.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Unless the sliders are maxed out and its constantly loading the inner pad, which would make sense if the hub was out too far.
    Wouldn't that happen if the hub was too far in?

Plus it wouldn't be even possible to get the caliper on the rotor that way without seriously forcing it.

I once forced a caliper on with my wife's G20 (I didn't realize they were a screw in deal not a compression setup like our cars). The G20 rootr was smoking and almost glowing after only a mile of of the test drive.

It seems more likely that the inside of the caliper is full of crud and can't retract all of the way properly.

-Rich

boostaholic

When I put 88 style discs on the back of my car, the drum hubs were taller than the disc hubs. I used the drum hubs first, but the rotor sat in contact with the caliper mounting bracket. The 89+ may be different, but I still bet they're shorter than drum hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    When I put 88 style discs on the back of my car, the drum hubs were taller than the disc hubs. I used the drum hubs first, but the rotor sat in contact with the caliper mounting bracket. The 89+ may be different, but I still bet they're shorter than drum hubs.
    I think I might have actually changed the hubs. I know I kept the axle stubs but it does seem like I changed the hubs the more I think about it.

-Rich

Well I think there is a 90+ GTC at the local pick and pull I will at least take some measurements over the weekend as this project has been put on the back burner at this point.

Paul B