Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand tie rod ends?

What brand tie rod ends?

Well I figure while I'm down there I might as well replace these. Any brand better than the other? I have O'Reily's, Advance, Auto Zone and Napa. Can someone suggest a reputable selection? I'm heading to Advance to get some other parts I ordered just in case someone has had luck with their stuff.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: What brand tie rod ends?

I used to say Moog but have heard they have cheapened them up... so maybe TRW? If they have them in stock, and you have time, go look at them all in person? Or if you have more time, get thru Rock Auto, I like how they show product pics

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hmm, I heard bad stuff about Moog too. I may wait and do it later when I replace the ball joints. I know I won't necessarily need an alignment after a ball joint replacement, but if I upgrade all those parts at once it wouldn't be a bad idea. I guess I'll look around and buy good ones when I have time. :\
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I use napa heavy duty/spicer. I started using them after going through about 4 sets of regular ball joints on my daytona. Put in the Napa HD's and still going strong. So I use their tie rod ends too. Wish napa could offer that for their steering racks though, my NY likes to eat the inner left tie rod joint about once a year with less than 5k miles on it. I'll be replacing the 2nd one soon.

If you want to do it today.. Napa or Advance usually has good stuff, maybe O'reileys, ask DSC what brand they carry

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    I use napa heavy duty/spicer. I started using them after going through about 4 sets of regular ball joints on my daytona. Put in the Napa HD's and still going strong. So I use their tie rod ends too. Wish napa could offer that for their steering racks though, my NY likes to eat the inner left tie rod joint about once a year with less than 5k miles on it. I'll be replacing the 2nd one soon.
    Napa claims "better than Moog" too... my problem with this is that the aftermarket companies (all of them) spot buy product, so whatever we can buy this year may be from a totally different supplier than 1 or 2 years ago. I've gotten two of a same part at the same time at the same store and had one made in China and one in India and they looked different.... the OCD part of me went to another store to get two of the same, LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

+1 on Spicer/NAPA. I've used their outer tie rods and ball joints on my Omni GLH, Shelby Lancer and CSX and have been very happy.

I used to only be able to get Spicer stuff from a local brake shop but found out later that NAPA also sells the Spicer brand but it is reboxed for NAPA. They list two; the cheapies and the higher line. The Spicer ones are the more expensive, all metal units with blue dust boots.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Here's one now. I've seen them boxed wrong though so watch out. Part number on box is 269-2759. It doesn't say Spicer anywhere on it but I've bought real Spicer boxed ones before and they are exactly the same part as the NAPA HD units.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Spicer/Napa,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I used to say Moog but have heard they have cheapened them up... so maybe TRW? If they have them in stock, and you have time, go look at them all in person? Or if you have more time, get thru Rock Auto, I like how they show product pics
    NO TRW!!!! NO MOOG!!! TRW and Moog = Federal Mougul turds on a stick. The stick is so you can hit yourself for purchasing crap parts.

I went through their sh!t on a shingle parts once a year like clock work. I don't even want to chance the "Master Pro" that O'reily has now.....probably same TRW turds in a different box. Infact, I should have taken a crap in the box I got from them when I returned that TRW trash to Murrays (now O'riely) just before selling off my 92 Daytona.

NAPA HD or nothing now.

Hybrid booster

Up here I've had good luck with TRW. Lifetime warranty parts!

Interesting, didnt know TRW is ovned by FM?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

It isn't. While Moog is owned by Federal Mogul, TRW is not; it's owned by the Goodrich Corporation (formerly BF Goodrich).

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadian007 View Post
    It isn't. While Moog is owned by Federal Mogul, TRW is not; it's owned by the Goodrich Corporation (formerly BF Goodrich).
    You're right about who owns moog http://www.federalmogul.com/en/BrandSelector but i stand behind my statements that TRW is complete useless garbage that will never ever grace any car I ever own.

Garrett booster

Just replaced ball joints in my Shadow, went with Moogs again, ones removed had about 76K miles So I guess they werent too bad.

Where are the NAPA HD suspension stuff made?? Maybe I will go with that next time.

The NAPA HD stuff is made by Spicer/Dana

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

The Raybestos Professional Grade parts appear to be the same Spicer/Dana parts as the NAPA HD ones.

Napa tie rod end $42.29:
    http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...50020+2020016#

Raybestos professional grade $36.79:
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1033828
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    You're right about who owns moog http://www.federalmogul.com/en/BrandSelector but i stand behind my statements that TRW is complete useless garbage that will never ever grace any car I ever own.
    Lifetime warranty is lifetime warranty; it's all covered and replaced free, doesn't matter much as long as it works.

I could assume that all tie rod ends are the same, but because I'm going with the Daytona brakes and hubs/spindles, are the tie rod ends the same as my GLHS/Charger? I think I'll get a set, do the brakes this weekend and get the car aligned the Thursday before SDAC. Nothing like cutting it close, right?

EDIT: Nevermind, looked up the part for both a 1992 Daytona and a 1987 Charger, same part number.
    Last edited by minigts; 06-15-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadian007 View Post
    Lifetime warranty is lifetime warranty; it's all covered and replaced free, doesn't matter much as long as it works.
    Sorry but that is wrong and the reason for crap parts. Do you love replacing parts over and over again, paying for numerous alignments and then there is that nagging feeling that they could fail and they could fail while at the track, taking your family on a road trip etc. Sorry, I don't gamble with suspension products.

I have 100k on my Spicer ball joints and they are still tight. Considering the abuse I give my van, that's pretty good.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast