Thread: More Dakota turbo wiring? Injectors not firing?

Hybrid booster

More Dakota turbo wiring? Injectors not firing?

Ok, I've checked all my wires, swapped relays, and now I've got power through the ASD under cranking but it won't start. I can get it to cough with ether but it won't fire up (backfired and blew the vac hose off the power booster). I'm getting spark, firing order is correct but I don't think the injectors are firing -
    When I pull the plugs I'd figure they'd be soaked but they don't even smell like gas.

I'm getting pressure at the rail - if I depress the schrader fuel will spray out (pretty high/forcefully) - I haven't put a pressure gauge on it though.

The motor has sat for 8+ years - I was worried the injectors might be bad so I ohm'd them out, they're between 2.5 &2.7 ohms, I manually fired them by grounding one side and tapping a jumper wire to the + of the batt. (harness pulled)

I have not pulled the fuel rail and checked to see if they're spraying or not...

Saving that for daylight tomorrow.

Any ideas? Could this SMEC be bad? Do I need Noid lights to check injector firing?

turbo addict

Re: More Dakota turbo wiring? Injectors not firing?

You can rig up a regular test light to see if your injectors are firing. Did you check to see if you had power to the injectors? You should have 12V on the black and green wire going into the injector harness. Also make sure you are getting a reference from the distributor.....it is possible to have an ignition reference but lack an injector pulse reference. Did you check for any codes stored?

Hybrid booster

Oh yeah, if I do need a computer, what computer do I buy? Advance/A1Cardone list about 10 different ones depending on the 8th digit of "my vin" As this is a transplant I'm figuring I'd want one out of an 88 or 89 Daytona Shelby, 2.5 T2 manual... Anyone know what number computer that is?

Hybrid booster

Yeah, FastCSX, I've got batt voltage while cranking to the green/black wires at the injectors. I'm getting code 12 - which is from it sitting so long. Code 36 - wastegate solenoid as I don't have it plugged in. and I just got a code 42 while I was taking readings at the ASD.

How do I check for an ign reference or an injector reference? Do I need a scan tool or can I back-probe with my DVM?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by gears351 View Post
    Yeah, FastCSX, I've got batt voltage while cranking to the green/black wires at the injectors. I'm getting code 12 - which is from it sitting so long. Code 36 - wastegate solenoid as I don't have it plugged in. and I just got a code 42 while I was taking readings at the ASD.

How do I check for an ign reference or an injector reference? Do I need a scan tool or can I back-probe with my DVM?
    You'll need an oscilloscope to actually see the reference. I would just check continuity from the HEP to the computer. If you have power to the injectors, then check for good continuity from the ground leg of each injector to the computer and then just check to make sure your power and grounds to the HEP are OK. If all your wiring checks out and still no pulse to the injectors, you either have a bad HEP or a computer problem.......or you have the wrong distributor in the car like we just found out with our Rampage project.....youre not trying to use the old TBI distributor, are you??

I wouldnt buy a computer from the parts store. I would just post in the parts wanted section here and buy a used computer. Just post what vehicle the harness is out of.....year, T1 or T2, manual or auto.

Hybrid booster

Actually, it's a dizzy out of an early 2.2 turbo Charger with the tall cap and 2 pigtails (3 wires each)... Come to think of it, that'd be a blowthrough setup - would that be keeping me from running?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by gears351 View Post
    Actually, it's a dizzy out of an early 2.2 turbo Charger with the tall cap and 2 pigtails (3 wires each)... Come to think of it, that'd be a blowthrough setup - would that be keeping me from running?
    If its the narrow body distributor (84/85??) then I would think so. If you are running an SMEC set up, that could be the issue. I dont think the later electronics will work with an early distributor. Its a different HEP.

Hybrid booster

I think that's it - and I've got 2 spares! Anyone got a SMEC dizzy in the Akron area?

Anyone know if they're the same for the na 2.2/2.5s?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

No, NA is NOT the same. The Turbo dizzy's have a window in the shutter wheel that the computer uses for injection timing. You need a turbo distributor from '86 or newer...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Thanks Rob - I guess I'll head to Advance and pick one up tomorrow. I've got 3 distributors lying around, 2 of the early narrow body units and one out of my TBI Dakota... bummer.

turbo addict

Yep....thats your problem. Go get it running!