Thread: Need help with my wiring - 1990 Dakota 2.5 to 1988 Daytona t2

Hybrid booster

Need help with my wiring - 1990 Dakota 2.5 to 1988 Daytona t2

Hey gang, I'm finally trying to finish my engine swap I started 9 years ago.... Needless to say I've forgotten alot of what I KNEW I didn't need to write down.

The long and short of it is I've put an intercooled 2.5 Turbo motor into my 1990 dakota - the truck was originally a TBI 2.5 na 5 speed, with no ac, or cruise.

The donor SMEC and harness was an 88 Daytona T1 - trouble is I don't know if it was an auto or manual.

I've mated the two harnesses, adding wires/pins for the Air Temp and the second bank of injectors. It's got a 3- wire O2, annnnd I believe the rest is all set.

My concern is I can't get it to crank (I haven't checked voltage through the ASD and I haven't tried to ground the DkBL/Y wire at the relay)

Is it possible that with no neutral safety switch from a non existent auto trans I'll get no crank? I also didn't hear the fp kick on.

I get codes 11, 12 and 36 - but none of those should keep it from cranking.... right?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

turbo addict

Re: Need help with my wiring - 1990 Dakota 2.5 to 1988 Daytona t2

its been a while, maybe tap the starter with a hammer.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster

but that wouldn't keep the fp from kicking on.

I'll check for a signal at the starter before tapping it - but good point, it could be a sticking solenoid

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

The ASD wouldn't keep the starter from rolling over. Those circuits are not inter-connected. You're probably right - there's a wire in the starter harness that needs to be grounded to 'simulate' the NSS from the auto trans. I've had to do the same thing to my manual trans van when I converted it to turbo, but using the harness from an auto.

As for the ASD and FP, not sure. But, fix the ASD first. If the ASD doesn't come on, neither will the fuel pump...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

So Rob, should I ground the tan&white lead out of the 60 pin @ the SMEC that says it's the nss lead?

The ASD grounds through the DkBL/YL wire coming out of the SMEC yes?

Quote Originally Posted by gears351 View Post
    So Rob, should I ground the tan&white lead out of the 60 pin @ the SMEC that says it's the nss lead?

The ASD grounds through the DkBL/YL wire coming out of the SMEC yes?
    No, you shouldn't need to do anything with the SMEC side. Just in the starter harness, from what I remember. The lead going into the SMEC only tells it whether the trans is in P or N. You can leave that one open.

Sorry, I don't have my wiring diagrams in front of me, so I can't tell you which wire it is that needs to be grounded. But, there's a 8-way connector that goes to the starter harness. One of those wires needs to be grounded...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Ok, backfeeding the system (with the key off) by jumping the battery + to the positive side of the coil I can power the fp.

Checking the ASD, I've got good power from the batt and from the Blue/white from the ignition switch. The Blue/Y from the SMEC has continuity from the 60 pin connector to the ASD but it is not grounded.... What does the SMEC need for grounding this pin? My light blue/red grounds are good, is there a ground to the SMEC I'm missing? One that provides the base ground to the whole computer?

Should B/W #5 - Signal Ground Source from fuel rail bolt - read grounded from the 60 pin with it unplugged (reading from the inside of the pin rather than back probing)?

Hybrid booster

alright, turns out the Brown/yellow to the starter relay reads ground (continutity) for one beep when trying to start - then falls open. Diagram shows this goes to NSS on an auto but to ground for a manual - I never messed with this section of the harness, anyone know where it'd go to ground so I don't have to split ALL the loom?

turbo addict

The brown & yellow wire goes to the starter relay on the fender. It simply needs to have a nice ground so that the relay works and allows current to reach the starter solenoid. It doesn't matter where it grounds, it simply needs to go to ground from the relay.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

I grounded mine to the engine block...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Alright no crank was a rusted up starter relay - (took it apart - REALLY rusted up - now it works as an underhood remote start button New relay is in the garage, going in once it's running.

I just septuple checked all the wires (all 60 from the main plug and the 14 from the 2nd board) on the SMEC to EVERY sensor, solenoid and injector. I've got continuity to everything. I can get it to crank but the ASD won't energize. It's the blue/yellow grounding wire from the SMEC that won't work with me.

Should I ground out that terminal of the relay (disconnecting the wire from the harness/SMEC)? What else would cause the ASD to not come on?

Should I have power to the coil/fp/injectors/asd with the key in the ON/RUN/Start positions or will it only power up with continuous signals from the ign or injectors?