Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire conversion 86 k-turbo to....?

turbo addict

Wire conversion 86 k-turbo to....Raffle engine!

To change my wire/electronics from the 1986 turbo system (log intake) to a up dated system (non-log intake) it was suggested I use the harness from a 1988 chrysler new yorker turbo (rare).
    Is the 88 New Yorker (e-body) wire system really different than a daytona or shadow?

I know it's going to be hard to find a 88 turbo new yorker parts car, as a new body style sold that year also that sold better.

My project is my 1986 Turbo Reliant wagon, putting in the raffle engine.

Johnny
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-31-2010 at 01:15 PM.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

Re: Wire conversion 86 k-turbo to....?

Johnny an 88 Turbo Lebaron (kbody) would work as well.

I thought I was pretty clear as to the differences.

1) the front end lighting is much different
    2) the 50 pin was moved inside and the sexes were reversed so you can't just plug the 50 pins together.

I suggested a 88 Turbo New Yorker or 88 Turbo LeBaron because the k bodies have the right length wire, all the correct wires for your headlights (2 more for the new yorker but just don't use them) and turn signals and side markers. And the 50 pin still plugs in right at the firewall just like your reliant with all the same pinouts.

So it is truely a plug and play harness for you to go SMEC. I know you hate wiring so it would be the easiest thing to do. Converting your current harness to 86 GLHS specs is more difficult.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

wait.... 86 t1 to something more compatible with turbo2? I say convert to 87 T2 LM.

id just swap the pins in the LM connectors, add 2 wires for the AIS and swap on the newer TPS connector and run a 87 LM and keep the map sensor in the passenger compartment. you just have to solder a map sensor connector to the LM pigtails right near the LM.

its a cake conversion. its not worth putting in a totally different harness when you have one that will work great for what you want to do and only requires a few changes.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    wait.... 86 t1 to something more compatible with turbo2? I say convert to 87 T2 LM.

id just swap the pins in the LM connectors, add 2 wires for the AIS and swap on the newer TPS connector and run a 87 LM and keep the map sensor in the passenger compartment. you just have to solder a map sensor connector to the LM pigtails right near the LM.

its a cake conversion. its not worth putting in a totally different harness when you have one that will work great for what you want to do and only requires a few changes.

Brian
    Opinion. Depends on what you want to do, but overall I would agree that the additional wires needed is easier, overall. I like the simplicity in the engine bay with the SMEC, but there is a whole lot more work involved. It just depends on what the plan is. And to be honest, if I had that engine to put in my car, I'd be more than meticulous with whatever harness went in the engine bay to compliment such a pretty motor.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

But a 88 LeBaron is a J body.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

Johnny Spiva wrote:

> You might think "simple". But to me wire/electronics is like walking into a nightmare!
    > Only reason I have put this off is because of this part of the project.

So IMHO the simplest way is to find an 88 new yorker or kbody lebaron turbo harness. They're out there. Then it's plug and play. He doesn't have to worry about swapping wires around. He will have to add 1 wire though. The wire for the Charge Temp. But that's easy and plug and play too.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    But a 88 LeBaron is a J body.
    Jbody is the wrong Lebaron.

Here, 88 Kbody Lebaron Turbo. From our Own website.

So you'll have an extra set of headlight wires using that harness too.

turbo addict

I did a search, found one in a yard 100 miles from here. Guess I'd better go check out the wire harness in the next couple days.

Jon, SMEC is clean....... when you remove half the harness.

so if you have to add one wire to the 88 smec setup, why not add two wires to the existing harness????

even if Johnny is wiring challenged, this isnt that hard of a wiring job. its just as hard to rewire the headlights on the 88 harness and install it.

hell, if he is going to go through the trouble of procuring a 88 k harness, uninstalling his old one and installing the 88, he can pull the 86, ship it to me and ill do the conversion for him. or you local yokels could help him out with, adding the 2 wires, move a few pins around, add 2 pins (same as the radio connectors) for the external map sensor and locate it at the LM and tie one pin for that map sensor to the sensor ground pin on the LM.

attached are the pics of the LM connections with the differences highlighted. as you can see, the speed sensor, the CEL wire need to be moved from one connector to the other, two wires need to be added for the newer AIS motor, the TPS connector changed (details on the dodge garage) and the map sensor wires added.

besides, doing cals on the LM (which he'll absolutely need being as the engine is all custom) is easier with the LM being in the car and easier to get to the chips.... especially if he reuses the 86 case as the map sensor cutout is right where the chip location is so its easy to get to the chips without taking the LM out. SMEC is a pain in the --- in that regard.

86 T1 Blue

86 T1 Red

87 T2 Blue

87 T2 Red

Blue Comparison

Red Comparison

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86T1-Blue-LM.jpg 
Views:	1600 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	22770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86T1-Red-LM.jpg 
Views:	957 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	22771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87T2-Blue-LM.jpg 
Views:	790 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	22772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87T2-Red-LM.jpg 
Views:	778 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	22773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86-87-Blue-Compare.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	22774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86-87-Red-Compare.jpg 
Views:	1000 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	22775  

Last edited by Aries_Turbo; 05-31-2010 at 07:40 PM.

turbo addict

so if you have to add one wire to the 88 smec setup, why not add two wires to the existing harness????

even if Johnny is wiring challenged, this isnt that hard of a wiring job. its just as hard to rewire the headlights on the 88 harness and install it.

hell, if he is going to go through the trouble of procuring a 88 k harness, uninstalling his old one and installing the 88, he can pull the 86, ship it to me and ill do the conversion for him. or you local yokels could help him out with, adding the 2 wires, move a few pins around, add 2 pins (same as the radio connectors) for the external map sensor and locate it at the LM and tie one pin for that map sensor to the sensor ground pin on the LM.

attached are the pics of the LM connections with the differences highlighted. as you can see, the speed sensor, the CEL wire need to be moved from one connector to the other, two wires need to be added for the newer AIS motor, the TPS connector changed (details on the dodge garage) and the map sensor wires added.

besides, doing cals on the LM (which he'll absolutely need being as the engine is all custom) is easier with the LM being in the car and easier to get to the chips.... especially if he reuses the 86 case as the map sensor cutout is right where the chip location is so its easy to get to the chips without taking the LM out. SMEC is a pain in the --- in that regard.

Brian
    The extra headlight wires just dangle in the breeze, they're just for the inner high beams.

I don't remove any body plastic or batteries to reprogram. Just plug my laptop in and hit the flash button. Which Johnny could then do if Shel-game get's those flashable smecs going.

turbo addict

I did a search, found one in a yard 100 miles from here. Guess I'd better go check out the wire harness in the next couple days.

Awesome Johnny, let us know if you are able to score it. I'll be checking my yard for a couple things this week. I'll see if they have an 88 yorker there.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Brian, you don't have those nicely laid out diagrams for the 85 swap to T-II do you?

Johnny, I'm no electronics wiz, but I swapped a '91 T-1 Shadow harness into my '93 Sundance. I matched the two wiring diagrams and swapped around 10 or so wires. Car actually fired up too
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Brian
    I agreed!!!! hehe I personally don't care for all the wiring in the back corner of the engine bay, but I'm a minimalist. As it is, I have this GLHS and plan to keep it with the LM, so don't worry.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I know the processing is much better in the 88 SMEC than in the 86 logic. Thats why I'd like to go that route with this engine.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    Brian, you don't have those nicely laid out diagrams for the 85 swap to T-II do you?
    here is a comparison thats done already..... provided the car is an L body

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...&articleid=110

Brian

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

That'll work, I knew I saw it somewhere. Thanks.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

WickedShelby88 offered me the harness you need after he read my '85 LM/PM to '88 SMEC conversion. You might want to contact him to see if it's still available.

Here is my solution to your problem but a lot of wiring is involved in building the adaptor harnesses: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41973

A.J.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

The swap to 87 TII is really easy, that is how my wagon currently is.
    Also the harness in the turbo Reliants looks like it has the headlight plugs for the 4 headlight setup, they are just taped up.

I swapped my old 86 T&C to SMEC using an 88 K body Lebaron turbo harness. It was super easy, just dropped it in and hooked it up. I did add the charge temp wiring later on when I swapped in a TII computer but that was also super easy, all I had to add was 1 wire. One big advantage with the SMEC harness is the computer controled cruise control. An 87 harness swap would be ok also, but I find the 87 Logic modules are somewhat hard to come by compared to 88-89 smecs.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

I know the processing is much better in the 88 SMEC than in the 86 logic. Thats why I'd like to go that route with this engine.
    88-89 t2 is based off of 87 t2. its still a 16k rom size even. the processor is faster but i dont know how much the code takes advantage of it.

89 t1 is much more advanced codewise. if you are going to the hassle of using a smec harness, you might want to use a variant of the 89 t1 code set up for running a 2.2L, ie some rob lloyd stuff. the engine is a 2.2L right?

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast