Thread: car back fires and and runs like crap

Hybrid booster

Re: car back fires and and runs like crap

new up date
    so i re did the timing i am dam sure all marks are right on
    car runs a lil better and pulls a lil harder
    but car still back fires

back fire usually indicates a timing problem, if yer sure the timing is bang on, then check yer fuel system...

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Gus_A_Wiey View Post
    back fire usually indicates a timing problem, if yer sure the timing is bang on, then check yer fuel system...
    i know the pressure is good could it be a fuel filter

turbo addict

How loud is this backfire? Is it scaring every human and animal within several hundred feet of you loud? Like a really big firecracker IE; M-80 cherry bomb? Or much quieter? Really loud would more than likely be a exhaust valve stem that is bent and hanging up in the guide when the valve gets hot. Rare on a 8V TD motor but I've seen it.
    Just trying to make sure you are talkin firing through the exhaust and not sneezing back up through the intake, when you state the car is backfiring.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

it back fires loud its like a m-80 or louder

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 663csx-t View Post
    it back fires loud its like a m-80 or louder
    I would then suggest you have a bent valve stem. It is happening in high boost because the exhaust valve is heating up. Either that or you have your exhaust guides too tight. Did you have a valve job done recently? Are these cast iron guides or bronze guides? Either way, you need to remove the head to repair.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

its a stock head i never did any work to the head i do have all new head parts sitting around now is a good time to use them
    ill pull the head tonite or this weeked ( not sure if thay are cast iron or bronze guides)
    Last edited by 663csx-t; 06-09-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Hybrid booster

up date as of 6/12/10 funny not relly
    well i got the head off of to day but befor i took the head off i took the cam off just to see how things look so i put cam back on the head got the head off and then i turn the cam too see if everything was moving good like it should but then i notice that 1 valves was not moveing but then i see that the head was missing one of the rocker arm(i dont think it fell off when i took the cam off i look for it for like a hour cant find it soo im thinking it might have not been on in the first place il look some more) but would the car run funny with it missing a rocker arm or that could have been why it was back fireing what do you guys think i say im going to put then head back on and see what happens ( i put all new rocker arms on)
    Last edited by 663csx-t; 06-12-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Hybrid booster

if a rocker arm was missing, then yes that would cause rough running because the engine is misfiring. did you do any work recently that required having the valve cover off or the cam out? how long has this issue been present? this couldnt have just happened and not be able to find the rocker and also not been running on all 4 cylinders with the rocker missing which is why it is important to realize how your car has been running up till the point, i dont know how anyone could be riding around with a missing rocker and think that the car is running strong and pulls good.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by onerippinturbo2 View Post
    if a rocker arm was missing, then yes that would cause rough running because the engine is misfiring. did you do any work recently that required having the valve cover off or the cam out? how long has this issue been present? this couldnt have just happened and not be able to find the rocker and also not been running on all 4 cylinders with the rocker missing which is why it is important to realize how your car has been running up till the point, i dont know how anyone could be riding around with a missing rocker and think that the car is running strong and pulls good.
    true i have not did any work to the head at all i pulled the cam off just too se how things look then put cam back on the pulled the head thats when i notice the rocker arm was missing( i didt see it fall off and i looked for it for a hour)this car has a long story im going to have the head look at and make sure its all good

Hybrid booster

lol i found the racker arm

Hybrid booster

lol i found the racker arm
    where was it???

Hybrid booster

it was by the fule rail and the intake it fell out when i turn the head over

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

it was by the fule rail and the intake it fell out when i turn the head over
    Then you've found your problem, rockers shouldn't fall out by themselves, so I bet you have sticking valves or a bad lifter.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Then you've found your problem, rockers shouldn't fall out by themselves, so I bet you have sticking valves or a bad lifter.
    but the thing is did it fall out when i pulled the cam off i say im going to take it to a shop and make sure its all good (too be on the safe side)

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

but the thing is did it fall out when i pulled the cam off i say im going to take it to a shop and make sure its all good (too be on the safe side)
    Oh, I don't think you mentioned that, lol. Well yeah, I would still get the head checked out.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

ok so i will be taking my head to a shop in the next 2 days
    but dose this price seem right to you guys 150.00 dollers thats with me haveing all the parts
    all thay have to do is take it apart and put the springs and valves inand make sure the head is flat also make sure everthing is working like it should

turbo addict

ok so i will be taking my head to a shop in the next 2 days
    but dose this price seem right to you guys 150.00 dollers thats with me haveing all the parts
    all thay have to do is take it apart and put the springs and valves inand make sure the head is flat also make sure everthing is working like it should
    IMO, you will be lucky to get out of the machine shop for twice that amount. While it's all apart don't you think it would be prudent to at least get a new valve job done? I'd also get the head resurfaced while it's apart. New valve seals for sure. Check valve spring pressures open and closed. Replace if needed. You know you have a issue with the head, now is the time to get it corrected. Don't penny pinch now! $400 is not out of line for a complete head rebuild.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

for sure i have all new head parts
    i did drop my head off at a shop after work today ill find out how much my bill will be on friday

Hybrid booster

up date as of 6/21/10
    just got my head back and the guy said that i had a bent valve guide
    ill let evryone know how it runs this weekend

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast