Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: car back fires and and runs like crap

turbo addict

Re: car back fires and and runs like crap

Quote Originally Posted by 663csx-t View Post
    well i have a 88 csx-t with a 2.5 c block 20% over pistons 255 walbro fule pump afpr intercooled 2 pice intake i have been working on this car for 3 years and im soo close to getting the car out on the streets but car back fires under a load and some times the car dose not like to be put under a load when that happends car shakes so i redid the timeing and it is set at 12 new plugs gap is at about .28 .29 i even turn down the fule prusser to 48 that worked some what but it seem like i loss hose power it still back fired under a load so i turn it back up too 51 that didt help any when i had the fule prusser set at 55 it ran good untill it backfired car would stall some times i dont know any thing else i can do here are some of the things i replaced temp sensor map sensor tps senor coil plugs o2 sensore car is showing a code 34 i look it up and it is a speed control solenoids soo i tryed too look it up on auto zone too see how much it is cant find it i still need to wire in the charged airtemp sensor i hope some one can help im done playing with it thanks guys
    Hey I have two suggestions. Spell check and punctuation. That gave me a headache just trying to read it. Not trying to be a wise a$$ but come on, at least make an attempt. You have lots of knowledgeable guys in into SD's that live in Ohio. I would suggest hiring one to sort out your problems. IMO, sounds like cam timing to me.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by vntshadow View Post
    Reading back through yor past posts, you've had quite an ordeal with this car.
    You need to get some things straight.
    1st, Is your computer set up for your application? If you don't wire in a air temp sensor, then maybe one of the vendors can make 1 for your application without a air temp sensor circuit. Do you have +20 injectors?
    2nd, verify and make sure your cam, intermediate shaft and crank timing belt are lined up.
    3rd, besides driving under load, does it drive normal, does it blow black smoke out the tailpipe, are the spark plugs black ? Need more info on how the car reacts to certain conditions. Do you have an air/fuel meter of any sort?
    4th, read more and more on how to's. The more you now on how our engines work, the easier it will be to diagnose problems.
    #1 yes computer is set up for my car plain on wireing in temp sensor and yes i have +20 injectors #2 intermediate shaft and crank lines up but just lost on how the cam should line up not sure how it should be#3 plugs a lil black but not bad at all just put new ones in and yes i do have a air fule meter no smoke and yes when car is not under a load the car does drive normal but after driveing under a load at times the car spits and sputers but will rev fine

Garrett booster

The car revs fine in neutral? Same thing my car was doing. Is it getting worse? On my car it was the intermedeiate shaft.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmonty View Post
    I agree with this. Just checking the cam gear will not tell you anything about the other two. Start with setting the #1 cyl to TDC (rotor pointing to #1 spark plug wire, timing mark at 0, and pull the #1 plug to verify the piston is up). Then check the cam, I highly recomend you get a timing belt cover to make sure the cam is correct. One or two teeth off will cause what you are describing. Then check the int. shaft. Two ways to do that, one is to remave the waterpump and crank pully the the lower timing cover. Using the mini mopar guide to line the crank and int shaft up. Then the trick is getting the timing belt back on and keeping everything lined up. You are going to have to verify all this before you can rule it out as the problem. I am sure if you are stuck or confused someone would be happy to help out! It took me several times to get this process down, but now it's pretty easy.
    i know how the timeing works but i didt know about setting the timeing mark at 0 and ill put the timing cover back on

turbo addict

Sounds like ignition timing is way too far advanced.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Hey I have two suggestions. Spell check and punctuation. That gave me a headache just trying to read it. Not trying to be a wise a$$ but come on, at least make an attempt. You have lots of knowledgeable guys in into SD's that live in Ohio. I would suggest hiring one to sort out your problems. IMO, sounds like cam timing to me.
    Todd
    i know my spelling sucks and i am waiting for a sd friend to call me back so if put the timing belt cover back on the hole on the cover should line up with the hole on the cam right

Hybrid booster

The car revs fine in neutral? Same thing my car was doing. Is it getting worse? On my car it was the intermedeiate shaft.
    i dont think its getting worse

Hybrid booster

well it looks like ill just do the timing all over again

turbo addict

i know my spelling sucks and i am waiting for a sd friend to call me back so if put the timing belt cover back on the hole on the cover should line up with the hole on the cam right
    With the cover on you should adjust the initial timing back to zero and then point timing light in the timing cover hole. This is usually done as a quick check for proper cam timing. The small hole or slotted hole (depending on which cam sprocket you have) should be at straight up or in the 12 o'clock position. Remember that the engine is canted quite a few degrees rearward. This is really meant as a quick check and is really not the proper way to set up timing marks. It's easy to be off a tooth on cam timing because when looking at the cam cap centerline and the arrows on the cam pulley, it's below the front fenders sight line. Tough to see properly. I use a small mirror.
    Good luck and thanks for not taking offense to my comment. Wasn't meant as an insult. Most people can't spell worth beans. That's what spell check is for.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

turbovanman ill look at the idle vacuum on sunday and ill let you know (what should it be at)

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    With the cover on you should adjust the initial timing back to zero and then point timing light in the timing cover hole. This is usually done as a quick check for proper cam timing. The small hole or slotted hole (depending on which cam sprocket you have) should be at straight up or in the 12 o'clock position. Remember that the engine is canted quite a few degrees rearward. This is really meant as a quick check and is really not the proper way to set up timing marks. It's easy to be off a tooth on cam timing because when looking at the cam cap centerline and the arrows on the cam pulley, it's below the front fenders sight line. Tough to see properly. I use a small mirror.
    Good luck and thanks for not taking offense to my comment. Wasn't meant as an insult. Most people can't spell worth beans. That's what spell check is for.
    Todd
    lol thanks for helping my noon spelling having a$$ im not sure i am going to do the timing again or just pay someone to do it

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

contact ohiorob on here. See if he is close to you. At this point it may be better to pay someone like him and his experience/shop to get it right. Sounds like cam timing to me too. What is your vacuum at idle?
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    contact ohiorob on here. See if he is close to you. At this point it may be better to pay someone like him and his experience/shop to get it right. Sounds like cam timing to me too. What is your vacuum at idle?
    ill take a look and see on sunday ill lrt you know

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    vacuum is at 15 ( but i did not drive it or let it run for long i dont think that would matter)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

yes, sounds like cam timing is off a tooth. Vacuum should be like 18-20 inches of vacuum
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Hybrid booster

ok thanks i would also like to give a thank you to every one that help me and gave me info i dont know what i would have done with out you guys my next step is to get with some of the turbo dodges guys around here and see if a nice hundred doller bill will get them to re do the timing or just do the cam thanks may be ill see some of you at sdac if i go
    ps ill let you guys know how it turns out

Garrett booster

I'd be more then willing to help you if I lived in the area. Specially for a 15 minute job= $100.

Hybrid booster

I'd be more then willing to help you if I lived in the area. Specially for a 15 minute job= $100.
    im in toledo are you some what close

Garrett booster

im in toledo are you some what close
    lol, washington d.c.

Hybrid booster

one more ? if the cam timing is off can i just loseing the timing belt and take the belt off cam turn the cam 1 tooth then put belt back on or should i just redo the whole timeing and check the gears on the intermediate shaft and oil pump to make sure thay are good

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast