Thread: rare optioned glht?

turbo addict

rare optioned glht?

i picked up an 86 santa fe blue glht last night. factory non ac car with rear wiper. wondering how rare it is. rust free and straight body. motor is junk. solid chassis to start with. so how rare is it?

turbo addict

Re: rare optioned glht?

Well being it's Santa Fe Blue, that is the only exclusive GLH color. That will help you pinpoint how many were made. No breakdown on other options that I am aware of.
    I have the breakdown from Dempseys site somewhere, but if memory serves me right they made just over 600 Blue turbo GLHT's in 86. Obviously far less non-AC cars. For what it's worth, I have it's 85 GLHT twin. No A/C, am-fm cassette, rear wiper, rear defrost.
    I would venture to guess that 75% or more GLHT's are no longer with us. Probably is less than 50 rustfree Santa fe Blue GLHT's left of each year would be my guess. I have two sitting in my garage. Both low mileage and completely rustfree.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Todd's Cars 067a.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	22728  

turbo addict

yea i have 2 86 glht omnis now. my other is a red on red which is now a black on grey. dont know what i really wanna do with this blue one.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

824 cars were Santa Fe Blue in 86. I have one of the NA Santa Fe Blue cars which is probably more rare than a turbo one. They are rare indeed.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    That's a keeper.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That's a keeper.
    yea i think i may keep it and be a daily fun car. i have an extra short block laying around. all i need is a head. may just run a mitsu turbo non intercooled late t1 setup on it.

yea i think i may keep it and be a daily fun car. i have an extra short block laying around. all i need is a head. may just run a mitsu turbo non intercooled late t1 setup on it.
    That would be a fun combo in a GLHT.

turbo addict

i dont have keys for it. how do you get the ignition lock cylinder out?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    824 cars were Santa Fe Blue in 86. I have one of the NA Santa Fe Blue cars which is probably more rare than a turbo one. They are rare indeed.
    In 86 28.2% were N/A. So doing some math, approx 232 were Blue N/A cars.
    That makes 71.8% being turbo, so that equates to about 592 Blue turbo GLHT's in 86.
    Then how many of those were non-a/c cars?
    They made 73,580 4 dr Dodge Omni's in 86. GLH production was 4.9%. 86 blue GLH turbo production was about .80 of 1%. N/A blue GLH production was even less at .31%. Low #'s indeed!!!
    Todd

turbo addict

Take the covers off the column and you will see what needs to done to take the cylinder out. Pretty simple.

turbo addict

hmmmm i gotta look again. i didnt see anything that looked like it would release it.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Take the steering wheel off, remove the lock plate with the special puller/pusher, loosen the wiring at the base of the column or disconnect it, remove the turn signal actuator, remove the hazzard button, remove the 3 screws holding the turn signal switch, carefully lift it up a few inches and move out of the way, use a pick and remove the key buzzer at the lock cylinder-pull straight up, then remove the cylinders bolt, slide out the cylinder, install new and reassemble.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Take the steering wheel off, remove the lock plate with the special puller/pusher, loosen the wiring at the base of the column or disconnect it, remove the turn signal actuator, remove the hazzard button, remove the 3 screws holding the turn signal switch, carefully lift it up a few inches and move out of the way, use a pick and remove the key buzzer at the lock cylinder-pull straight up, then remove the cylinders bolt, slide out the cylinder, install new and reassemble.
    sounds sooooooooooooooo simple simon!!! lol. the one in my other omni just popped out with the key still in it! thanks dude

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

sounds sooooooooooooooo simple simon!!! lol. the one in my other omni just popped out with the key still in it! thanks dude
    It can be lol, but the lockplate lock ring can be a pain, use 2 sharp picks to lift it out of the groove then a small screw driver the rest of the way onto the lockplate tool.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

L body locks are different. Unscrew the covers, you'll see a pin under the lock. You have to take a hacksaw and cut the plastic at the other end and drive the pin out.

Garrett booster

Wow, Nice to know about the numbers since my dad is 'hording' a totally rust free, never outside overnight, under25K blue '86GLHT. I've got to find out if it's AC or not. I believe it is. Still has the orig BOSCH foglight covers.

He keeps saying it's for my brother, but with 3 kids and 2 minivan's I'm thinking I'll end up with it to go w/my other Turbo Mopars.

Thanks for the info in this thread guys!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by carguyray View Post
    Wow, Nice to know about the numbers since my dad is 'hording' a totally rust free, never outside overnight, under25K blue '86GLHT. I've got to find out if it's AC or not. I believe it is. Still has the orig BOSCH foglight covers.

He keeps saying it's for my brother, but with 3 kids and 2 minivan's I'm thinking I'll end up with it to go w/my other Turbo Mopars.

Thanks for the info in this thread guys!
    A regular low mile GLHT is far more rare than a low mile GLHS. Your dad's car is definitely one of the lowest mileage GLHT's left. Practically no one moth balled regular GLHT's while many many examples of GLHS's with low mileage are hardly common but much more so than the regular GLH's.
    BTW the red car in my pic had 16K on it at the time that photo was taken several years ago. Sported it's original tires too which were not dry rotted.
    I still have the original tires on my pizza wheels from my 85 GLHT. I know of another red 42K mile GLHT that has it's original tires still on it. They are in horrible shape though.
    Todd

Garrett booster

Wow, GREAT to know and thanks! I'm hoping he'll let me have it sometime, but he's the type to keep something 'till it turns to dust.

He's got a lot of low mileage collectables from his 1958 Caddy Fleetwood 60 special w/ 9,800 orig miles to his 64 caddy exec. limo w/26,000.

Then there's his daily drivers. The record was on his 1986 Horizon 2.2 N/A that he finally gave up on at 468,000. That's when the rear end popped up through the strut housing! LOL He also had 2 other HorOmin's that had over 225K and 310K. (he drove 2+ hours one way to work) so I came to love the 2.2 early on... I just need more power so I fell for the Turbo's.

I should be back to visit him mid summer and will try to get pix.