Thread: trans install desperation

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

trans install desperation

Well, got the old trans out and the new trans is ready to go in.

New trans is up in there, spline seems to line up but trans won't get close enough to the block. I am at my wits end about now. I need any suggestions or tips.

It was two of us working on it but now we are taking a break and I have lost my help. I have a piece of wood across the fenders supporting the trans and I can pull it away and try to realign to no avail still won't get clost to block.

If any body is in South Jersy(Hammonton area) with experiance I am pretty desperate and willing to compensate

cell:609-226-5826
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Re: trans install desperation

Well I made studs for the upper two bolt holes. Now everything lines up correctly but I can't get the spline right now. So I am taking another break to rest my hips from supporting the trans...
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Hybrid booster

Did you test fit the clutch on the trans to make sure it will slide on? Just an idea.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Use an open end on the crank to "bump" the sprocket. Lots of wiggling requires.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Just before putting the PP up I did slide the clutch on slightly. And before using the studs I had the splines line up but not the mounting holes.

As of right now the trans is about 1" away and splines are meeting, but I have another day tomorrow. Just beat and bruised from working on it all last night and today.

Thanks for the help guys, lots of wiggling will be done in the morning
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Dont crank it on like I did. I did a sh*t load of damage by losing my temper, bent the bearing plate in the tranny, warped the clutch disk, and ruined the thrust bearings in the engine. With guide studs it should slide right on - put some grease on the splined shaft...
    later Dick Westerhof

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

You don't need grease on the splines. It's a wiggle and twist thing. With guides go to the end of the trans, lift up ang wiggle while twisting slightly side to side.

ALSO, pop a jack and wood block under the oil pan and lift up aon the engine slightly, just a bit of sag will cause it to hang up...
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN
    Use an open end on the crank to "bump" the sprocket. Lots of wiggling requires.
    +1 on this idea. When I put the tranny back in we (my brother and I) were having the same problem as you. On RWD trannys we put in if we had this problem we would rotate the output shaft. You cand do that with a FWD tranny. So we turned the engin insted. When we did that the tanny jumped up aginst the block. just trun the crank bolt and it should work for you too.

boostaholic

+2^
    I fought mine for hours before turning the crank. Baddaboom-tranny slid right on.

Thanks guys I am back at it this morning. I just dropped the trans off the pins to check the input shaft and make sure the clutch was still centered, which it was. Now I am just waiting for my helper to arrive and give it a go again. With one of us wiggling and another turing the pully a bit hopefully it will go.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

turbo addict

And people ask why I pull the tranny and motor all the way out of the car when doing a clutch. With a 555/520 it's a 1 man job this way, with a 523/568 it was a bit harder because they don't have a lifting bolt but still wasn't too bad once it was ----ed right. I've done enough laying under the car bench pressing the tranny and wiggling thing to never ever do it again.

It's really not that difficult. You just need to know the tricks. A slight jacking up of the engine works wonders.

Yes, the 523/568 are a bit more of a challenge...
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Yep, the studs, the wiggling and slight crank rotatios is teh way to do it.

When wiggling, try to invision the centerline of the crank and the centerline of the inputshaft in line with eachother and how they need to be perfectly co-linear to slide in and wiggle accordingly...

I usually try to eyeball the angle right then start pushing and slightly wiggling. If it doesnt start to go it, I turn the crank usually keep a flywheel turning tool by my side to do so with as the trans is on the pins and my knees...

goos luck!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Studs and wiggle defiantely did the trick along with jacking the motor up a bit.

I can't thank everybody enough for the tips.
    Found my main issue to be that clutch got uncentered. I ended up starting over and everything went in like butter with studs and clutch centered.

O and as motivation we added beer into the mix just before actually getting the trans in... I think it was the factor in getting it together
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Good to hear you got it in!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Me too. I worked on if from 6PM Friday untill 8PM Sunday. And all I can say is I love this new clutch/PP combo from TU. The feel is excellent!!
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168