Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SDAC-20 Hotel Reservations Reminder

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: SDAC-20 Hotel Reservations Reminder

I will be getting a room late if I can make it, so I will most likely be paying the extra .99 cents....damn.
    Need to get my Olds sold so I can go.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
    I originally looked the hotel up on the web to see some pics of the rooms. I looked at the reservation info there, and it stated $85.99/night.
    Wait, didn't the SDAC site say the discount rate was $85? Way to haggle Barry!

But when I actually called the hotel, I think I was told $99/night. I really was quoted that. I'm used to arriving at the SDAC location late at night, so I book the Thursday, so I'm there to see most arrive on Friday. That made for a glitch in their computer system and it wanted me to pay $99 for the week. I pointed out what it should be, and the woman talked to someone who knew about the SDAC block.

Quickly, all was well. She gave me the discount for the earlier day also.
    Well... all was well till she took my billing address. Their system doesn't know people own houses outside the USA.
    Yeah, typical hotel desk folks ...

I know you're just poking a little fun about the "deal" we got from them, no problem. But there isn't any haggling anymore, they offer a contract and we either accept it or stay someplace else. We paid the straight rate at the Drawbridge last year also.

Sometimes they might budge on price, but it is getting rarer. The Marriott in Detroit for SDAC-18 did knock their price down over $20 a night.

Hmmm ... Craig brokered that deal. I may have stumbled on something here .... let a Canadian do the bargaining .... Now if we could just get the reservation system working to accept those funny postal codes they have up north.

Seriously though, in the end, what caused us the most concern over the last couple weeks was the possibility we would end up paying for rooms that never got reserved. And I am happy to report we are past that hurdle now.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff speeddemon's Avatar

Good news that we are off the hook for unused rooms.

The problem with that area of the country is that there is little competition. All of the hotels in the area that are capable of handling our group don't really need the business - they will be full if we show up or not.

Lots of competition in Detroit and not the most popular spot for tourists so it is easier to get a deal.
    Craig
    SDAC Board Member
    1985 GHLT
    1986 GLHS 047
    2005 SRT4 ACR

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon View Post
    Good news that we are off the hook for unused rooms.
    Sweet! That is good news.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

WOW, they are being hardasses there
    told me they didn't have rooms
    Me: you sold all your rooms since yesterday?
    I have some at the regular rate
    Me: I can talk with your manager?
    I am the desk manager
    Me:the contract isn't for sdac members if there is rooms available? the cutoff date was just for guarantee reserved rooms to be available?
    oh wait I don't have fri. open but the rest of the days are o.k.
    me: and the rate?
    oh o.k. I'll be nice

I would've got them earlier but waiting to see if Hoagie was still going or not (he's back in the hospital btw)
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    Yeah, typical hotel desk folks ...

I know you're just poking a little fun about the "deal" we got from them, no problem. But there isn't any haggling anymore, they offer a contract and we either accept it or stay someplace else. We paid the straight rate at the Drawbridge last year also.

Sometimes they might budge on price, but it is getting rarer. The Marriott in Detroit for SDAC-18 did knock their price down over $20 a night.

Hmmm ... Craig brokered that deal. I may have stumbled on something here .... let a Canadian do the bargaining .... Now if we could just get the reservation system working to accept those funny postal codes they have up north.

Seriously though, in the end, what caused us the most concern over the last couple weeks was the possibility we would end up paying for rooms that never got reserved. And I am happy to report we are past that hurdle now.

Barry
    Barry, we didn't pay the going rate last year at the drawbridge. I called and they wanted $135(?) per night. The lowest they would go was the club's negotiated rate. Whether you had to haggle or not, I could not have gotten a better deal than the club did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12