Thread: 2.2 carb to TBI swap?

Garrett booster

2.2 carb to TBI swap?

I must suck witht he search button as I cant find what I need.

I have a complete Shadow with a rebuilt 2.2 TBI engine, and I have an 84 rampage with a carbed 2.2 with dead cylinder, both non turbos

Teh TBI 2.2 has a cold running issue, i replaced the coolant temp sensor and it cured it, then it came back repalced the sensor and it went away, now its back. Any ideas to figure out why they keep going bad?

Anything from under the dash I need to put the TBI in the rampage or are all the wires under the hood?

What do most folks do for a fuel pump?

turbo addict

Re: 2.2 carb to TBI swap?

Why not swap short blocks for now and work on the FI later. I know you like the page. I would just swap the heads with everything attached. then when you go FI swap them back.

Depending on the tear everything for FI on the shadow should be under the hood except for the O2 fuse and the Check engine light going inside.

Dont sell it like its a chunk of scrap now.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

I pulled the valve cover on the shadow, it needs a cam ( probably the running issue) Pulled my head and it needs a head forsure.

So now I am stuck, put a cam in the shadow head and swap it on and run the carb with it ( dont see why it wouldnt work???) or buy a reman head for $200.

I cant afford to be without the page until the winter time ( when I dont hual things and such)

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Why not swap short blocks for now and work on the FI later. I know you like the page. I would just swap the heads with everything attached. then when you go FI swap them back.

Depending on the tear everything for FI on the shadow should be under the hood except for the O2 fuse and the Check engine light going inside.

Dont sell it like its a chunk of scrap now.
    The wiring harness on the shadow won't work on the rampage because it is not a 40 pin bulkhead so the wiring is quite different.

The mechanical stuff should be pretty much the same.

Also you need to get a FI gas tank for the rampage or it will have stalling issues when under 1/4 tank.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by offroadohio View Post
    I pulled the valve cover on the shadow, it needs a cam ( probably the running issue) Pulled my head and it needs a head forsure.

So now I am stuck, put a cam in the shadow head and swap it on and run the carb with it ( dont see why it wouldnt work???) or buy a reman head for $200.

I cant afford to be without the page until the winter time ( when I dont hual things and such)
    Heads are only about $30-45 at the u pull it junkyards around here. I am sure someone on the board here has a head to sell that will work just fine for under $200.

-Rich

Garrett booster

With a reman head only being $200 id rather buy one than put a junkyard head on and risk another issue to save a few dollars. I tried that with my old shadow and I went through 3 junkyard heads before I finally said f this and junked it.

Quote Originally Posted by offroadohio View Post
    With a reman head only being $200 id rather buy one than put a junkyard head on and risk another issue to save a few dollars. I tried that with my old shadow and I went through 3 junkyard heads before I finally said f this and junked it.
    $200 is a good price and it does give a good peace of mind (as long as the shop is decent).

-Rich