Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exempt Status

Hybrid booster

Exempt Status

I am going to apply to have my car exempt from emissions testing in NJ.
    One of the requirements, however, is:

"Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead."

Any idea where I can get this?

Thanks...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Exempt Status

I'm sure SDAC could provide you with something. Perhaps you could make a donation to cover their costs as a thank-you

Move to a county that doesn't require emissions testing.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Move to Missouri. No testing on obd 1 cars.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    I'm sure SDAC could provide you with something. Perhaps you could make a donation to cover their costs as a thank-you
    That might work.
    I tried contacting Dodge but haven't heard back from them...

Hybrid booster

would be AMAZED if even a letter from Iacocca himself helped. NJ inspections are tough, I got failed once for the factory air horn on my XT, and another time for a missing reflector on the side of rear bumper cover. this was in one of the stations in previous years reputed for being lenient. pre-OBD like our cars, get a dyno run in the station with a sniffer in the tailpipe, in addition to the visual inspection you need to be ready for. usually you can only hope you get a younger tech who hasn't honed his ability to be a douche yet. you don't want to hear about the old guy I had literally hanging all his body weight from the wheel of a 2000 Lincoln I brought thru (previously failed for a noisy strut bearing), as if the new strut clean enough to eat off (and bearing, of course) and working flawlessly wasn't enough.

you'd probably be better off going to a private facility after discussing whatever your concern is with them before handing over your cash.

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    Move to Missouri. No testing on obd 1 cars.
    Or Nebraska which has NO emissions testing

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by x.Gen View Post
    would be AMAZED if even a letter from Iacocca himself helped. NJ inspections are tough, I got failed once for the factory air horn on my XT, and another time for a missing reflector on the side of rear bumper cover. this was in one of the stations in previous years reputed for being lenient. pre-OBD like our cars, get a dyno run in the station with a sniffer in the tailpipe, in addition to the visual inspection you need to be ready for. usually you can only hope you get a younger tech who hasn't honed his ability to be a douche yet. you don't want to hear about the old guy I had literally hanging all his body weight from the wheel of a 2000 Lincoln I brought thru (previously failed for a noisy strut bearing), as if the new strut clean enough to eat off (and bearing, of course) and working flawlessly wasn't enough.

you'd probably be better off going to a private facility after discussing whatever your concern is with them before handing over your cash.
    That's what I'm trying to avoid. The hassle of having to deal with these gus every year. I try to keep my cars "legal". Had to install a new cat on the R/T when I first got it because it failed the sniffer test. And I have resisted tinting the windows because it would never pass.

Hopefully they get rid of these inspections as proposed...

Hybrid booster

how long you been in NJ, capt? inspection is every 2 years, it isn't that bad, except for stressing about it the month it comes due! was a lot worse when it was every year, back when. I'd rather throw on a $100 cat once every couple of years than give a shop $70+ and an opportunity to mess with me. the only serious chance you have for an exemption is the age of the car (gotta be 25 years I think).

I kept my original stock exhaust just in case, but I've got my cal tweaked enough I bet it would pass without the cat if it had to (not planning on finding out though), except on a visual.

take it from a LONG time resident, do yourself a favor and DO NOT tint your front set of windows. you will get jammed constantly for it...they might be too busy with a 'real' criminal element up by you, but in central NJ here, that's a "pull me over constantly, I'm begging for a ticket" move, and speeding might as well be a felony. as hot as my G-body (red w/black t-top trim of course) looked with tinted windows, I found this out the hard way. not worth it.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

NJ sucks. even pos NY is better for inspections.

Brian

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Move to Texas.

Texans dont believe in regulations..

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    NJ sucks.
    should I waste the bandwidth agreeing?

turbo addict

is NJ just a sniffer? How bad is your car out of tune if you can't pass a sniffer test?

Hybrid booster

If it only passes w a cat on it,then time for a dump or flanges for a "test pipe" for easy swappage. Of course a tune would also be a good option too

turbo addict

It's crowded, expensive, can't have tinted windows, inspections every two years, and I couldn't drive my cars there. Why would anyone want to live in NJ?
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    It's crowded, expensive, can't have tinted windows, inspections every two years, and I couldn't drive my cars there. Why would anyone want to live in NJ?
    Because I was born here and currently work a job that requires residency...
    I'm used to the life, so no point in complaining. And I really dont have any issues driving my cars here. Maybe it's because I know all of the "hot spots" to avoid.

The car failed because of a bad cat. That was taken care of with the new cat. It's not failing every time i take it in. If I cant get the documents needed, I'll live with the inspection process.

Barry from SDAC has already told me he won't help. So I'll wait on Chrysler...

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x.Gen View Post
    should I waste the bandwidth agreeing?
    you wasted more commenting on the fact

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    is NJ just a sniffer? How bad is your car out of tune if you can't pass a sniffer test?
    I hated having to pass sniffer tests in PA cause all my cars were BEAT and burned oil.

NY just has visual inspections for 95 and older vehicles.

brian

Hybrid booster

I received an email today from Chrysler telling me they mailed a letter out to me on the 28th.

Hopefully I'll have something by the end of this week...

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMoe View Post
    I received an email today from Chrysler telling me they mailed a letter out to me on the 28th.

Hopefully I'll have something by the end of this week...
    Dang I can't wait to hear about this

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_III View Post
    Dang I can't wait to hear about this
    Got my letter stating my vehicle was one of 181 produced in 1993...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast