Thread: Fixing L Body Rust?

Hybrid booster

Fixing L Body Rust?

I am about to get a GLH that has some rust on the top surfaces, oddly the floors look great and the underside is really clean. The car was orginally a Florida car, then was in Arizona until it made its trek to Minnesota where it still hasn't seen snow. I suspect Florida is the reason the top side has a few issues.

I believe this is called the cowl, is this panel spot welded on? I imagine it is since it goes under the windsheild. The picture makes the hole look a lot bigger than it is, it is actually pretty small. I think it will be easier to cut out the rust and make a patch panel.

I think this is typical Omni A pillar rust, I saw in GLH R/T project log (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=46424&page=4) how he fixed his. It looks fairly simple, cut and sand off all the rust then weld in a patch panel and use body filler to smooth out.

Here is a picture of some rust that is on the roof by the drip rail, it has a similar spot on the other side. The car also has a sunroof which I would like gone. I don't think a panel would end up looking good so the whole roof will probably need to be replaced. How involved is this? The windsheild will be removed to fix the A pillers and cowl. Where are the spot welds for the sides of the roof? Above the drip rail? I may have a shop do this...

Is this too much for someone with little body work experience to take on? What materials should I get for the body filler? I saw in the GLH R/T log he used fiberglass and putty, I imagine I can get this at a Napa or most autoparts stores. Is there a recommended brand?

Anyone in MN want to help?

Garrett booster

Re: Fixing L Body Rust?

I have no advise to give - but my GLH had the exact same rust spots as yours.

I also have a sunroof installed which was a dealer-installed item I believe. I also had rust on top of the A-pillar which was the most serious - I had to locate a rust free omni for a donor patch which was the best repair. The rust along the drip rail edge was just prior to painting the car - so I just opted to sandblast and fiberglass fill (i know it's not the best method - but I'll be keeping an eye open for any issues and if needed touch it up again. I've posted some pics for you to have a look. The car spends most of the time in a garage now and is not winter-driven any longer. I figure that the neglect it had for the 22 years before I had it made the problems worse. I intend to maintain this car a lot better than the previous owners.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	may 2008 037.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	22758

Name:	may 2008 038.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	22759

Name:	may 2008 023.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	371.7 KB 
ID:	22760

Name:	may 2008 030.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	404.8 KB 
ID:	22761

Name:	Picture 071.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	403.9 KB 
ID:	22762

Name:	july 3 2009-4.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	22763

Name:	july 3 2009-3.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	22764

Name:	july 3 2009-5.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	22765

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

yeap the cowl is welded in
    there is foam behind there so keep an air hose and some water handy
    better pull the windshield trim at least too
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Did you actually pull the carpet and make sure the floors are solid? The floors of my Rampage looked solid from the underside. But when I pulled up the carpet I found that the only thing under there was flaky rust held in place by the rubber undercoating.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Did you actually pull the carpet and make sure the floors are solid? The floors of my Rampage looked solid from the underside. But when I pulled up the carpet I found that the only thing under there was flaky rust held in place by the rubber undercoating.
    Sure did since there isn't any carpeting in the car. When I go to check it out again hopefully I can get it in more light to see things better, but it looked very solid.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by "Top Fuel" Bender View Post
    yeap the cowl is welded in
    there is foam behind there so keep an air hose and some water handy
    better pull the windshield trim at least too
    I plan on pulling the windsheild out for the A pillar and Cowl repair. This way I can clean up any hidden rust while I am at fixing these holes.