Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing GLHS Wheels, how to get the mirror look?

Polishing GLHS Wheels, how to get the mirror look?

Well I did look around and didn't see anything that has a process to do this with pictures. Does anyone have any progress pics and directions on how to do this? I may just take the wheels somewhere and have them done, but I'd like to try before hand. The wheels on the GLHS are in very good shape with almost no physical damage to them and zero curb rash. The clear is flaking off and just worn out, so I would like to get them polished to a mirror finish, but I can't seem to find a process on here with pictures. Anyone done this before?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Re: Polishing GLHS Wheels, how to get the mirror look?

I found this, http://www.ehow.com/how_4491972_poli...or-finish.html. Seems like a good process. Still looking though.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

All I can offer is my friend had a set professionally polished and they looked absolutely stunning. They were CSX wheels so he had the insets resprayed black as well.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Many here have mentioned putting the car up on jackstands, putting the car in gear and wet sanding/polishing with the wheels moving. I am building a stand out of an old axle, hub, and treadmill motor for the same purpose.
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    All I can offer is my friend had a set professionally polished and they looked absolutely stunning. They were CSX wheels so he had the insets resprayed black as well.
    I have thought about getting them done. In the end I may have to if I can't do it right myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesismachine View Post
    Many here have mentioned putting the car up on jackstands, putting the car in gear and wet sanding/polishing with the wheels moving. I am building a stand out of an old axle, hub, and treadmill motor for the same purpose.
    That's interesting. I could probably get an extra hub for something like a 91 and up that bolts in and use that with a motorized device to spin it. hmm....

Hybrid booster

I used the Mother's Power ball mini on my old set with mag & aluminum polish. Someone already removed the clear before me though so it was half done to begin with.. Unfortunately the Powerball is a 1 time use after 4 wheels..

turbo addict

SOS pads and brasso work good for the final stages too (Also for redoing cloudy headlights)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Polishing rims is like mudding drywall. You do it once because you don't know any better and swear you will never do it again. Then when it comes time for another go you look at what people are charging for the job and you forget what a pain in the a$$ the job was so in pure stupidity you do it again. At least that's how the cycle goes in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Polishing rims is like mudding drywall. You do it once because you don't know any better and swear you will never do it again. Then when it comes time for another go you look at what people are charging for the job and you forget what a pain in the a$$ the job was so in pure stupidity you do it again. At least that's how the cycle goes in my life.
    lol Did you do this before and if so, got any pictures? Man, someone on this board did this to some wheels a while back, but I don't remember the thread title or anything. Just wondering if someone has a process documented that is proven. I have found some videos online, so I may just try and follow those steps and see where I get.

The first thing I tried were a set of pumpers. The hardest part is getting the casting smoothed out and too a layer where you have a minimum of pinholes. Then it's nothing but elbow grease. Sand, sand, sand, and when you think you're done sand some more. Progress in grits like that link you posted said until you're at 1500 to 2000. I hate hand work so I tried to find ways to use power tools. I learned that with a bit of spray glue you can make your own sticky pads for a DA which helps when you can't get the higher grits. Also wet sand as much as possible to prevent deep scratches which take for ever to get out if even mentally possible. After the sand is done start buffing. Once again I used power buffers. For the wheels, since there were so many curves and "holes" I put a buffing wheel onto an angle grinder. Prepare to have black boogers of death and to get real dirty.

Here is a good link too on compounds and techniques.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm

Pumpers, one polished the other wet sanded. Oh and the stage from wet sand to polish is by far the most exciting.

On the car.

Polished VC, intake and intercooler pipes.

Polished intake, water neck, turbo housing and pipes. Many of these were raw aluminum which makes it easier. I also built a bench polisher which really sped things up.

Prepare to get dirty if using power tools (I couldn't imagine doing by hand but many people do).

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

^^^ nice work DJ

Jon, I'll see if I still have a copy of Steve Kalmes' article on how he turned hsi CSX-T wheels into mirrors

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    ^^^ nice work DJ

Jon, I'll see if I still have a copy of Steve Kalmes' article on how he turned hsi CSX-T wheels into mirrors

Yes, thanks DJ for the info. I thought I remember seeing that info before. And JT, any information you can provide would be good to know.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Try here:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ight=polishing

I'm in the same boat, and yes you do get filthy.
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesismachine View Post
    Try here:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ight=polishing

I'm in the same boat, and yes you do get filthy.
    Thanks for the link, all the info I can get!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

turboshad - What did you use to the get factory coating off the pumper? I've tried aircraft stripper in the past and that didn't seem to put a dent in it.

Jon - I just restored a set of 87 Centurions, some info in this thread:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=48486
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

I used some spray bomb paint stripper. When I used aircraft stripper (the blue gelly type) on the Shadow I thought it was way stronger than the can stuff I used so I'm suprised it didn't do much. I would say let it sit and soak, keeping it wet with stripper, for a good chunk of time and it will take multiple applications. The paint they use is tought stuff.

I used some spray bomb paint stripper. When I used aircraft stripper (the blue gelly type) on the Shadow I thought it was way stronger than the can stuff I used so I'm suprised it didn't do much. I would say let it sit and soak, keeping it wet with stripper, for a good chunk of time and it will take multiple applications. The paint they use is tought stuff.
    Thanks for the info. Multiple applications is ok. Patience is a virtue with restoring these wheels. I have a set of 16" pumpers for my R/T but the one local powdercoating shop near me I had bad luck with and the other wants $80/wheel if I strip them and $120/wheel if they strip them, and my frugal side is tempted to do the stripping myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    turboshad - What did you use to the get factory coating off the pumper? I've tried aircraft stripper in the past and that didn't seem to put a dent in it.

Jon - I just restored a set of 87 Centurions, some info in this thread:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=48486
    Dang man. I need to get on this. I can't wait to make this car shine again. Thanks for the info Scott! I assume you'll be at SDAC?

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Dang man. I need to get on this. I can't wait to make this car shine again. Thanks for the info Scott! I assume you'll be at SDAC?
    Yup, I'll be at SDAC. I *may* have the Centurions I just finished on the Turismo, not sure yet though. I ended up having to paint the inserts on my Centurions too, they were a lot of work but turned out. I also re-did the Centurions on my 86 GLHS which will be at one of the SDAC events, not sure which yet though. Patience is necessary when restoring these!

turbo addict

Bear in mind that oven cleaner and paint remover are often solutions of lye and eat aluminum. Don't go leaving it on there very long and make sure you rinse it out of all the nooks and crannies. Do it in a well ventilated space so you don't gas yourself or blow yourself up.

It's probably better using weaker stuff for longer, then you don't end up with pits in the metal that will take ages to grind out, if you leave the strong stuff on for 30 seconds too long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast