Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Re: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Just set the timing by making the slot horizontal. That way it doesn't matter where the mark on the int. shaft is.
    I thought about that. I may just do that and make my own mark. I couldn't ever get those two dots lined up anyways. I plan to pull the intermediate out and check the race tonight. Hopefully there is a bearing there, but if not no damage. I just haven't heard any noise in the motor other than the lifters at start up. I know that sounds bad, but I know a knock from a noisy lifter and after a second, the noise subsides and oil pressure stays good until it gets hot.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I thought about that. I may just do that and make my own mark. I couldn't ever get those two dots lined up anyways. I plan to pull the intermediate out and check the race tonight. Hopefully there is a bearing there, but if not no damage. I just haven't heard any noise in the motor other than the lifters at start up. I know that sounds bad, but I know a knock from a noisy lifter and after a second, the noise subsides and oil pressure stays good until it gets hot.
    I'll be pretty impressed if you're missing a chunk of the int. shaft bearing. That thing is taking it like a champ if it threw that out.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Just set the timing by making the slot horizontal. That way it doesn't matter where the mark on the int. shaft is.
    thats how i do it

Here is a link to the post which talks about a bearing installer tool.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=11

I found the bearing part numbers on Rockauto.com

CLEVITE / PERFECT CIRCLE Part # SH1326S
    Aluminum (AL-3) (Size: Standard)

SEALED POWER Part # 1487M Auxiliary Shaft Bearing Set
    SOHC Turbo engine

Thanks Brian. Well it looks like the intermediate bearing was going out and JUST in the nick of time was the car torn down. Doesn't look like any wear was caused to the shaft, but I'm going to replace both races just to be on the safe side. It's funny, but once I loosened the timing belt, you could REALLY feel the play at the end of the shaft where it rest in the block.

I'll post up pics of what is left of the race, but it came out in layers if that gives you any idea.

But for other stuff, everything else seems ok. I plan to replace the oil pump while it's apart, replace the pan and pick up with the one that has the lower sump location, although it's the same depth pan I believe, if not shallower. I was going to put an LSD in the tranny, but I've talked to Cordes about doing a 555 hybrid of sorts and I think that's the way I'm going for strength. I'm also replacing the water pump and updating it to the newer style that was made for the Denso alternator bracket. Problem is, I have to get the LOOONG bolt that holds the pump on at the bottom. The one from my blue car was damaged beyond belief, so I guess I'll be at the parts yard this weekend.

I was going to replace the turbo lines (coolant and oil), but I can't get them off without either pulling the turbo or pulling the head and I don't have time to do either right now, so they'll just have to wait. I do have an oil leak on the oil supply side I need to get fixed, so that may encourage me to pull the head when I have a weekend to do it and no where to go. I know it's a good time to do it now, but I don't have the time to keep the car down for another week. And I know you guys pull heads and put them back on in a day and what not, but I'm anal about cleaning when things are broken down so it takes me twice as long to get something done.

Pics to come later of the carnage and current status of GLHS 937...
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

SEALED POWER Part # 1487M Auxiliary Shaft Bearing Set
    SOHC Turbo engine
    Found this at Oreilly's.

Glad to hear that you were able to locate the part Jon.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

There was a posting very recently where someone shared the durabond bearing p/n that worked for the I-shaft bearings. That they were made out of a round piece of stock and not a rolled strip like clevites or sealed power.

Glad to hear that you were able to locate the part Jon.
    Man, thanks for doing the research, I owe you a block of cheese. Once I get this done, I should be ready to reassemble the car...hopefully. I think while I have it down, I'm going to go ahead and install that roller cam too. I'm tired of the lifters making so much intermittent noise on start up. :GRRRRR: I think I'll pull the head in a couple of months once the weather is cool and I can leisurely do it.

This would be the thread:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=41

But where do you get them? Online search doesn't yield a whole lot. I've posted in that thread for Simon to answer.

NM, I found this.

http://www.perfectengine.com/Durabon...dbb-pdg-26.htm

turbo addict

The dealer carries them also.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    What kind of part numbers we lookin' at

turbo addict

Well isn't this your lucky day. I go up to my loft and the first box I pick up is labeled "small inter shaft bearing". I am assuming the part numbers are the same for early and CB's. The number on the box is 04105217. I don't have the large bearing number.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    And I hope your sitting down when they quote you the prices.

4448700-front msrp $61.00

4105217-rear msrp $32.00... This one also didnt show up the first time around, its probably discontined/NS1 or just a cranky search engine tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post

4105217-rear msrp $32.00... This one also didnt show up the first time around, its probably discontined/NS1 or just a cranky search engine tonight.
    Wow. Those are expensive. I always try and check the dealer for stuff though, as they are either really high, or a little cheaper anything I think to check.

Disadvantages to going with the one I quoted? Iffy, taking a risk, not exact specs?

turbo addict

I think Clevetite makes them also.

I haven't had problems with sealed power/federal mogul bearings before. I haven't read of any intermediate shaft bearing problems either.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post

I built my motor 3 years ago with the Mopar bearings and I didn't remember them being that much but they weren't cheap by any means. The dealer I was using didn't give much of a discount either so I think they may be on their way to NS1.

Well to be honest, these lasted 120K miles, so I may just get the stuff that is local and possibly buy a set for a future rebuild. I need to get a common block and build one up from scratch with some good pistons, rings, all new bearings, etc. I hate having to make stuff work to drive my car, but it always seems the easiest thing to do at the time.

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast