Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Re: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Well my waiting has paid off! I got most of my stuff this last week while I was out of town. I can't wait to get started on the powdercoating and installation of the camber plates. The plates are AWESOME and I can't give Rich enough props for the quality of this product. I'm picking the brakes up tonight and hopefully will get some painting done so I can do some installation before the week ends. I've also ordered the replacement seals and I will be picking up the bleeder screws for the brakes tomorrow, so if everything works out tomorrow, I plan to swap over the brakes and the coil-overs for the front suspension. I have to get this done by mid-week so I can take the car to get it aligned, so we'll see how it goes!

This isn't all the wiring stuff, but that should be arriving next week if not this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camber_plates.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	374.0 KB 
ID:	22978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powder_coating_material.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	486.5 KB 
ID:	22979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring_stuff.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	337.4 KB 
ID:	22980  
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

good stuff! really liking the plates
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Quote Originally Posted by 86seeS View Post
    good stuff! really liking the plates
    The plates are schweet!

Well I had all the stuff ready to powder coat last night and the filter fitting on the gun broke. And at midnight, you can't run down to Wal-Mart to get replacement water filters. So this morning I had to make a 1+ hour trek out and back to get the parts and the seals for the brakes.

Powder coating is pretty easy except when you need to powdercoat everything because it will be visible. Trying to figure out how to set this up AND run a static charge was hard, but I figured it out for the brakes. But then I kept hitting the area painted with my hand (wearing gloves), the mount I had it on, etc. So after about EIGHT tries I finally got it right. HOWEVER, the tray for the oven ONLY GOES IN ONE WAY!!! AAAAGGGHHH!!!! Man, so after all that, I got the brakes in the oven and they're cookin' now. I've also done the cam gears and those are next. Once everything is done and cured and cooled I'll take some pictures. Hopefully everything will turn out fine.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Alright. I didn't have time to get a whole bunch of pictures this weekend because I was trying to get some stuff done. There is still a lot to do, but I feel I made some progress.

For now I have the brakes, knuckles, cam gears and window wipers powder coated. I didn't do too bad for my first real attempt, but there is still some learning. I think either the gun isn't all that great or I'm just not applying enough powder or the oven isn't baking it evenly. I'm using a gloss black and some of the areas painted are glossy, some aren't. And to top it off, I had to repaint everything a couple of times because I missed some spots which just added to the time! I still haven't installed everything, but that will be done this week so I can take the car to get an alignment.

I did get the rear coil overs moved over and boy did it make a difference! The rear driver's side shock was totally gone, just no support at all. I also upgraded to Johnny's new rear bushings that are totally awesome! Just for reference, if you're running a coil over you can literally cut the upper one in half and still have clearance for the nut to lock down. Regardless, they work great and everything went in easy. I'm still waiting to do the front just so I can do the brakes, spindles, hubs, CV axles and struts all at one time.

I ALSO spent last night going through the wiring harness and got that all loomed with the Painless wiring loom. And let me just say, PAINLESS MY BUTT! LOL No, the stuff is great, but just working with the wiring harness is a pain. There were a couple of spots I didn't loom because I have to fix some spots, but most everything was done. I still have to do the fuel rail, one power wire and relocate the fan AC relay, but that may have to wait until I have time to wire the sucker. The lower sub-harness is still pending as well, just ran out of time last night. Pics later, but everything is progressing well.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

looking good jon. one thing... repin the LM connectors to 87 and get an 87 LM. youll thank me later.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    looking good jon. one thing... repin the LM connectors to 87 and get an 87 LM. youll thank me later.

brian
    Will do. I need to get a socketed LM anyways.

turbo addict

thats what i did on mine... 87 csx electronics (fwd stage 5 cal) with 3 bar world of differance
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Quote Originally Posted by 86seeS View Post
    thats what i did on mine... 87 csx electronics (fwd stage 5 cal) with 3 bar world of differance
    That sounds good. I have a 3 bar MAP and if I can pick up a socketed LM at SDAC, I may change over. Granted, I'm sure when I do the next thing to go on my car will be the head. Got some noise in the valve train. Sounds like it could be lifters though. Maybe my Canadian cohort will be in attendance this year and provide the set with washers.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    if I can pick up a socketed LM at SDAC, I may change over.
    I have one you could pick up before SDAC if you're interested...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    I have one you could pick up before SDAC if you're interested...
    Thanks Captain! I THINK I have one ready to go, but if that falls through I will hit you up.

Alright, well I have been slowly working on the car and have most of the stuff ready to do the swap this weekend. The plan is to break the car down tonight, start moving stuff over and hopefully finish this today. I have the front brakes built, new brake seals, new guide pin sleeves, new pads, new rotors, new tie rod ends and a fresh powder coating on all the front end stuff. I will say I need more practice with the powdercoating, unfortunately. There are spots that are good and some that seem as though they have less gloss. I think the cure time is fine and I have the oven set at 400, but maybe I just didn't put enough powder on? Regardless, the brakes are coated and protected so we'll see how long they last. :$ Worst case, I have another set I'm picking up at SDAC and I'll just DO ANOTHER SET. Sheesh...

I've almost finished the engine wiring too. I just haven't had time to get some pictures of what I've done, but I will do this either tonight or tomorrow. The only other obstacle I see is moving the fan relay that has the A/C wires connected to it. There are two diodes used for this, so I'll just have to figure out how this will be wired in the fuse block. I think I have it figured out and will take pictures later. But overall the car is coming together and looking better by the day.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Powder coating is tricky. I have found it is sometimes very hard to get powder to "stick" on the inside of curves. Can't explain it.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Ok i have an issue. I found this in the bottom end but im trying to figure out how it got there. There aren't any shavings in the pan, in fact its pretty clean. But this is scaring me where this could go. It looks like a main bearing but i dot see how in the world it got out and more to the point, i think i would have heard something, right?

I'm just wondering if it's been rebuilt and possibly a left over from a previous build? I just don't see how it would gotten out from under the main bearing cap without turning into little bitty pieces. And like I said, there aren't any other pieces in the pan or shavings anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottomend (1).jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	430.7 KB 
ID:	24967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottomend (2).jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	409.7 KB 
ID:	24968  

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Powder coating is tricky. I have found it is sometimes very hard to get powder to "stick" on the inside of curves. Can't explain it.
    Thats a know issue with powder coating. When the parts are electrically charged, the corners(mostly)can create a field that stops the powder from going in.

Ok i have an issue. I found this in the bottom end but im trying to figure out how it got there. There aren't any shavings in the pan, in fact its pretty clean. But this is scaring me where this could go. It looks like a main bearing but i dot see how in the world it got out and more to the point, i think i would have heard something, right?

I'm just wondering if it's been rebuilt and possibly a left over from a previous build? I just don't see how it would gotten out from under the main bearing cap without turning into little bitty pieces. And like I said, there aren't any other pieces in the pan or shavings anywhere.
    Wow, I would think you would notice something, e.i drop in oil pressure, noises etc.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

WOW! no way it came out like that had to have been left over from a rebuild

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Ignore it and it will go away.

turbo addict

factory bonus part! probley part of that 555 warranty plan they offered

turbo addict

Check your intermediate shaft bearings, especially the small one by the oil pump. It looks strikingly similar to the piece that I found in the pan of my R/T after the shaft & pump went south.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Jk.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Check your intermediate shaft bearings, especially the small one by the oil pump. It looks strikingly similar to the piece that I found in the pan of my R/T after the shaft & pump went south.
    Well i gave it a good visual but since i pulled the pump i'll have to time it anyway, so i can check that as well. Kevin said the same. Visually and by hand it feels fine but i guess that could be a possibility. More to come.

And just for reference, how in the world do you set the oil pump alignment with the distributor gear correctly?!!? The manual doesn't mention the alignment except that the pump distributor alignment needs to be horizontal with the block and that the gear should be lined up. But how do you do that? You just do?!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

And just for reference, how in the world do you set the oil pump alignment with the distributor gear correctly?!!? The manual doesn't mention the alignment except that the pump distributor alignment needs to be horizontal with the block and that the gear should be lined up. But how do you do that? You just do?!
    Best I can tell, that's just a matter of getting the right teeth in the gears meshed together. I've never been able to get it quite right before running out of patience, so the distributor in my Charger is turned pretty far. Still runs though.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Jk.

Well i gave it a good visual but since i pulled the pump i'll have to time it anyway, so i can check that as well. Kevin said the same. Visually and by hand it feels fine but i guess that could be a possibility. More to come.

Just set the timing by making the slot horizontal. That way it doesn't matter where the mark on the int. shaft is.

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast