Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Re: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Stay positive, and focused! And keep up the momentum!
    Trying to do all of that. Worked on the car tonight and plan to work on it tomorrow. Got the suspension squared away with the new heim joints, probably will get the k-frame installed tomorrow. Need to get the power steering fittings for the rack finished so I can loop the lines since I'm not running PS anymore. Also got some wiring done tonight, but still have a lot more to do. Sensors are in and ordered some split loom and fire retardant sleeving for the starter wires and a starter wrap. The last starter fell apart, so figured it would be a good idea to cover it with something protective. And while I do have wraps on the heater hoses, I wouldn't mind putting some type of heat shield cover around the MC as a precaution.

Rest of the things I need to work on are cleaning up the valve cover, prepping the head for installation and getting that back on. Still need to get the radiator installed, but probably will wait until everything else is in before I place it. Without the head or the air filter in place, it's hard to know where it should sit and I don't want to make any mistakes with where it should be mounted. Lots to do, but I think I have a good road to get everything done by next week with a day or so to spare.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Just did some cleaning tonight. Took a pic of the expensive parts of the car. The others are sitting getting ready to get installed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170613_222003.jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	60981
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

New turbo?
    I must have missed that!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

New turbo?
    I must have missed that!
    No, not from when it was installed a couple years ago. The head is on another block waiting, but should have put in the pic. Between all of this and the head and header, got a lotta money sitting there.

You don't need to tell me!
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    No, not from when it was installed a couple years ago. The head is on another block waiting, but should have put in the pic. Between all of this and the head and header, got a lotta money sitting there.
    The contrast of the ratcheting wrench and the parts seems like some sort of a commentary. This is art.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The contrast of the ratcheting wrench and the parts seems like some sort of a commentary. This is art.
    I'm not that artsy, but i think it's some kind of metaphor.
    I think he's trying to say that with a couple 13mm wrenches, one being a ratcheting wrench, along with a common cresent wrench he can install all the parts shown.
    Applied further maybe with the same combination of tools one could take on virtually any task?

Also one thing notably absent from these subsequent pics....

.....the feet.
    Last edited by wheming; 06-14-2017 at 01:41 AM.
    Wayne H.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Just did some cleaning tonight. Took a pic of the expensive parts of the car. The others are sitting getting ready to get installed.

Name:	20170613_222003.jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	60981
    I would agree, that looks expensive....

I'm not that artsy, but i think it's some kind of metaphor.
    I think he's trying to say that with a couple 13mm wrenches, one being a ratcheting wrench, along with a common cresent wrench he can install all the parts shown.
    Applied further maybe with the same combination of tools one could take on virtually any task?

Also one thing notably absent from these subsequent pics....

.....the feet.
    I think it goes without saying that the lack of feet means that he won't need to ride the shoe leather express with these parts. It also means that the days of Walking for Wieners are long behind him.

I think the wrenches are really a nod to one of the all time great films. It's not really about a car, but about friends and life. Much like SDAC.

Hybrid booster

If you need any help, let me know, I will be out of town tomorrow, but after that till time to leave I can help if needed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Wow. Thanks for taking that to a new level Mike. I'm not sure if it's cool, or horrifying that you looked at his parts and realized they look just like the female reproductive system.

Well I crammed a few weeks of work into a couple of days and still fell short of actually getting everything done before the end of SDAC. Got the car running the day after we got to the hotel, did an alignment, got the radiator installed and anchored, got the wiring done and all the sensors installed for the new gauges and finally did get the gauges installed, but none working until the last day. Ended the event with a fuel leak that pretty much prevented me from drag racing the last day. I had plans to get a fuel pump and filter swapped out, but just really hit a wall after I couldn't fix the leak with the regulator. Have to admit, I was glad to have the break and just breathe and enjoy a day without having anything really to do. Once I got home, I realized the seat on the regulator had been damaged, so it was a simple fix and got the car back up and running. The fuel leak was caused when I was swapping in the +40s, which is a long overdue upgrade. But flashed the LM with the cal Warren had made for me a while back and been driving it some since. Need to take some fuel out, but cruise is pretty good.

LOVING the 555 and the gearing isn't as bad as I thought it would be compared to the 525. Definitely way smoother shifting and really enjoying the 6 puck clutch from TU, so much that I got the car up to speed on the interstate.

Name:	20170708_210710.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	61156

Ok, just kidding. The gauges are all in, but I still haven't calibrated the speedo. Always going somewhere and don't have the time to run through the process to do it, but it is fairly simple. Next up after getting that done will be updating the tune to take some fuel out all around and probably check my alignment. We did it in the parking lot and it seemed like it was good, but during the road course I really rubbed the driver's side sidewall bad and will probably do the same to my street tires if I don't get it adjusted.

Still need to get the fuel pump and filter installed and I also have the R5 TU cam that I would like to install as well. There is always something, but the biggest hurdle I had with this car was running the 525, but now with that I have the 555 in, I feel like I don't have to worry about the trans giving out at some point.

You did a ton of work in the lot Jon. I can't remember anyone showing up with a car that needed that many items in order to run before. The best part is that you got it running in short order.

Thanks, WE did a lot. The alignment was a huge help, time and money for sure. I think the camber setting is off, but it drives straight as an arrow, more so than any alignment I've had done. And the steering wheel is set correctly for the first time in a long while. My long term goals for next year include some cosmetic changes, so no intentions on repeating what happened this year.

Driving the car around, finally get to see specific numbers for oil pressure and coolant temps. Both look really good, but I may run a lower temp thermostat. Currently running a 192, but I'd like to see cooler temps. I am running mostly distilled water and it is around 95+° out, so probably not out of range as it runs right around 200, fluctuating a little up and down. What is really really nice is the fact it holds pressure in the cooling system for a while after turning the car off. That hasn't happened since I bought the car back in 2010!

Bigger goals for next year are new Lengel intake, fender flares and possibly some cosmetic changes front and rear.

I can't wait to see it. If you need anyone to crew for some vintage road racing just let me know.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Jon, congrats on all the work you've done to the car so far and how well it's turned out.
    What are your fan on-off temps? That will have more of an effect on your idling temp than the thermostat temp.
    A colder thermostat will have more effect on your cruising temp. Your temp above 45-50mph should really be right around your thermostat temp if you have good radiator capacity and airflow management.
    Make sure to block off any path that air could take around your radiator into the engine compartment.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Jon, congrats on all the work you've done to the car so far and how well it's turned out.
    What are your fan on-off temps? That will have more of an effect on your idling temp than the thermostat temp.
    A colder thermostat will have more effect on your cruising temp. Your temp above 45-50mph should really be right around your thermostat temp if you have good radiator capacity and airflow management.
    Make sure to block off any path that air could take around your radiator into the engine compartment.
    Temps at cruise are close to 190, usually creeps above 210 at low speed and traffic, but I think the stock setting is 212° for the fan to kick on. I don't think it is inefficient, just thought about running a lower tstat for road course days.

You'll need to adjust your fan settings in conjuction with your t-stat change to make use of the lower temp 'stat.
    Let us know which temp stat, and we can suggest fan settings.
    Wayne H.

You'll need to adjust your fan settings in conjuction with your t-stat change to make use of the lower temp 'stat.
    Let us know which temp stat, and we can suggest fan settings.
    Yeah I always have to look for the table that define the fan switch setting. Will do Wayne!