Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Re: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Sounds like a warning shot.
    haha Gary called it a fuse, I say you are both correct.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

What clutch is in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    What clutch is in the car?
    Oh just a stock TII clutch from Auto Zone. I am waiting to install the 555 before I get a real clutch. I have some good axles (I think), but that may be the next upgrade for the car. Hopefully I won't find out the hard way.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

The off balance could be from disc material breaking off causing the inbalance. Glad you made it home. We intended on going to Carlisle but had to miss it.

turbo addict

Maybe one of the clutch hub springs popped out. It seems that isn't as uncommon as most think it would be.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

My money is also on the friction material breaking apart. I've seen that on a bunch of cars that can rev well.

Also, I can't help but laugh when thinking about the fact that this car still has a 525 in it with a stock TII clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    The off balance could be from disc material breaking off causing the inbalance. Glad you made it home. We intended on going to Carlisle but had to miss it.
    Man sorry you missed it, had a lot of fun. I'm glad I made it back as well. I gotta say, I had fun with it on the autocross and can't believe it made it through the abuse for 6 laps, 3 at a time at WOT. Guess it was ready to go after all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Maybe one of the clutch hub springs popped out. It seems that isn't as uncommon as most think it would be.
    I thought about that and it certainly could have. But I haven't heard any noise so far, so thinking it's broken up or something just not sure what. Will be a few months before I can diagnose it though.

My money is also on the friction material breaking apart. I've seen that on a bunch of cars that can rev well.

Also, I can't help but laugh when thinking about the fact that this car still has a 525 in it with a stock TII clutch.
    hehe The whole time I was doing the autocross, I was just waiting for it to do something. Turned the boost up to 22 psi (4.11 volts on a 3 bar MAP sensor). I thought I had it set at 15, but my homemade boost controller that I did in a few hours wasn't terribly accurate I guess. Sure was a lot of fun though. With good tires, I will need a solid trans. I seriously doubt anything in that 525 will hold up much longer if I apply any real torque to it.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Alright, well I have been driving the car, babying it just to get around until I get the title for the Shelby Lancer squared away with the state of CA. Kept thinking that the clutch really can't be it because I don't have any issues shifting or felt like a broken clutch would cause issues. So I jacked it up and checked the trans mount. Sure enough.....

Name:  20140824_155900.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  157 Bytes

Going to order an El Cheapo for the time being and get a set of the Poly Bushing ones.

And seriously, what's up with the attachments?

The gallery works still. You can upload it there and then link to it. It's an extra step, but it's also what I've prefered for a long time so for me things are right again.

Hybrid booster

Yeah, that might cause some serious vibration.

Hybrid booster

If you don't mind divulging, what are you replacing your Corbeau seats with?

I have a lead on some Recaro seats and some fabric that will match the pattern I have with the car, black and charcoal. I actually like the seats, but the Recaros would be nicere to have, they are factory seats and the color scheme is just what I want. The only thing I haven't decided is how to route the 5th belt. Corbeau has pass throughs in the seat and I don't know what they are called to get a generic pair. May be able to get Corbeau to sell me a set or something. That is the intent though.

Wow, been a while since I updated this thread. Since the last post:

Around the time of the last post, took the car down and pulled the suspension. Had a broken piece that had to be replaced, so the car went up on jacks. Pulled the suspension and seats, sold both and replaced with new BC's with adjustable rebound and compression (I think those are the correct terms) from Rich and got the Recaros in from Vic, both out in Phoenix!

Recently made a trade with DJ for his seat covers that he got from Harry (also in Phoenix), sent him mine that came with the seats from Vic so DJ can use the pattern to do some sewing magic for his own.

Bought some replacement foam for the lower side bolsters from a place in the UK. They weren't cheap, but they are NEARLY identical to the stock ones. Really need the upper side ones as well, but no one seems to make the foam, specifically for that seat type, the LSB series.

Fast forward to this last week.

Got the suspension installed, front and rear. During the time I used some of this stuff I had seen from a friend that removes rust completely from anything and man, what a difference it made. Took the rear shock tower retainers and dropped them in, left them overnight and they came out SPOTLESS. Immediately cleaned and primed/painted them black, installed the rear shocks and then started on the front.

The fronts were a little more work. The fronts are the ER type that have the external reservoir for the rebound (I think). My wheels didn't fit the way it sat, so had to make an adjustment which was easy and everything else just bolted right up. Pics to come later.

Right now I'm working with the seat bottom brackets to mount with the stock ones and had to make one MINOR change for the mount hole on the back of the track, but they were designed for the stock brackets, so the curve of the Recaro mounting bracket and the stock rail is dead on. Pics below.

Need to get the seat covers dyed. Tried this already, but polyester does not take the standard dye, you have to use disperse dye, which I'm sure everyone other than me knows this to be true. :-| That being said, the proper dye has been ordered and should be here next week and I can get those done and the new bottoms installed, the seats put back together. The side bolster on the driver's one needs some attention, so I may just buy some of this foam I found locally, cover the bolster with about 1/2" foam with the same density and put the covers on and go for the time being. I'd love to rebuild the uppers with some of this foam and have new foam all around, but the seats are CRAZY easy to take apart, so I think I can just do it when I'm ready and remove the uppers fairly easily. Seriously, took me all of about 10 minutes per seat to disassemble.

As soon as the seats are ready, car is coming off blocks, new battery will be installed and I'll fire it up for the first time since November some time. Will be great to hear it run again. Plan to try this new Lithium Ion battery that weighs like 3lbs! Hopefully it will be enough to run the car. Don't plan on driving it that much in the winter and I park indoors and down here it doesn't get too cold. Haven't FULLY decided to go with it, but checking around to see if these types of batteries last, can sustain what is needed for a car, the charging capabilities, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat_tracks (2).jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	54808 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat_tracks (1).jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	54807 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat_tracks (3).jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	54809

Got all the seat tracks configured and today I got the seat covers dyed, properly. Tried using the stuff that wasn't made for polyester and just so you know, it won't remotely touch it. Used this stuff that helps the dye stick to whatever and MAN does that work. Almost everything that touched the dye was dyed! Thankfully my sink in my laundry room can be messed up, so no loss.

Seat covers look SO much better now. The fabric is still a little worn and rough feeling, but the color looks great compared to what it looked like. Didn't get any before and after, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Name:	20150528_153752.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	54895 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150528_153804.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	54896

Suspension is installed, haven't gotten back down on the ground yet. Need to get the seats in since they bolt from the bottom and I don't feel like crawling under the car when it's perfectly accessible on stands. Can't wait to adjust these for height and comfort and drive the car! Been so long, looking forward to it.

Name:	suspension (1).jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	55093 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suspension (4).jpg 
Views:	95 
ID:	55096

Name:	suspension (5).jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	973.6 KB 
ID:	55097 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suspension (6).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	55098 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suspension (3).jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	55095 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suspension (2).jpg 
Views:	131 
ID:	55094

Seats look really good, but the dye isn't sticking. Apparently polyester is one of the hardest fabrics to dye since the color needs a LOT of heat to soak into the fibers. It doesn't rub off THAT much, but over a 12 hour trip I plan to have some towels or something laying over the seats. Eventually will recover them, guess I'm just going to have to deal with it for the time being. Getting some foam to overlay the upright sections and then I'll be putting these back together and in the car, should be this weekend.

Name:	seats (1).jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	813.2 KB 
ID:	55099 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seats (2).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	55100

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Looking good JTWH What rate springs did you go with, I looked back a dozen posts or so to review and you were mostly just covering the seats and stuff

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

It's getting closer to the road again. I'm pretty pumped to see it in action again. It should be a great trip with the Recaros and new suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Looking good JTWH What rate springs did you go with, I looked back a dozen posts or so to review and you were mostly just covering the seats and stuff
    7000K I think? It's sorta in the middle, but with the adjustable compression and rebound and with SO much adjustment, it should be a good ride. You coming, I assume?

It's getting closer to the road again. I'm pretty pumped to see it in action again. It should be a great trip with the Recaros and new suspension.
    I hope so. The Lancer rides really great with them, assuming this will be great with the the tubular front control arms. Should be Friday or so when I'll have it on the road.

525! 525! 525! 525!