Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Re: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

heh, The inspiration could have been short lived. I placed a relay for one of the headlights in that had a resistor connecting the two terminals for the coil, unbeknownst to me that there were two different types. Thankfully the series of fuses in line kept things safe, only blew one fuse. Once that was replaced and the proper relay used, everything worked fine.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I'll post pics later, too tired to get them and not to mention too dirty from all of the power steering fluid that was leaking. But pulled the super nice dual pivot K frame and old rack and installed the Slowe K frame with a new rack and some DJ control arms! Man, what a difference working on that thing now. There is way more room and since everything is tubular, you can get to and see things much easier from the middle! Ran into snags with the roll pin removal process and getting the boot back on once the new rack was installed. Cut an old and worn 1/4" drill bit down to make a punch since I didn't have the right size and then on install, I couldn't get the boot back down easily. I think the process is probably to pull the carpet and remove that section to get to the pin easier, but it wasn't that difficult. Had to pull everything else anyways, so there was enough room.

Also started to cross thread one of the bosses on the passenger side for the rack. I tried to bolt down the front first and then do the back, but it made it uneven and allowed the bolt to go in at an angle. Thankfully I could see where it was going in and didn't get too far. Pulled the K frame back down and retapped the hole, checked the others and all was good. Bolted things in evenly this time and was finished.

Still have to do the following before I can lower it and take it to get aligned:

• install pressure line o-ring
    • swap PS pulley (need to get a puller)
    • install PS pump
    • connect pressure line to pump
    • install PS fluid!
    • attach tie rod ends
    • re-connect rod linkage
    • finish running and terminating alternator wiring

I also installed a Nippendenso alternator from a late 90's, early 2000's Toyota. My last alternator was fried (I think I had something wrong with the field wires), but the voltage regulator on the power module wasn't working to begin with, so I had to install an external regulator. Thankfully Mike Marra let me borrow his spare and I was able to drive the car. But I wanted to reduce clutter so I don't have to run an external and these alternators were put in how many Toyota Camrys (probably more cars)? The alternator sits like ours do, same design, just different pivot points and they have a built in regulator. Using a turnbuckle style adjuster as well. Need to really road test it, but the voltage was in the mid 13's at idle (originally this was 14-16v) and all the wires to the alternator are accessible and can easily be removed when working on the car. Some of the pics when it was mocked up and tested below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alternator (3).jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	542.1 KB 
ID:	50574 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alternator (2).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	540.3 KB 
ID:	50575 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alternator (1).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	532.0 KB 
ID:	50576
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That's great to hear Jon. I can't wait to see what this thing will do.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

How many amps is that alternator? That's pretty cool. If it's internally regulated, what are the two little wires?

Also, when I take the K-frame out in my car, I just leave the rack attached and the slip joint comes apart in the car. Is your Charger not like that?

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That's great to hear Jon. I can't wait to see what this thing will do.
    Should do good. I had noticed some slop in the steering when turning left, hoping that was just the old rack. I'm pretty sure it's the original one. Any way to tell for sure? That would give it about 200K, roughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    How many amps is that alternator? That's pretty cool. If it's internally regulated, what are the two little wires?

Also, when I take the K-frame out in my car, I just leave the rack attached and the slip joint comes apart in the car. Is your Charger not like that?
    Should be a 90 amp if what I've read is correct. The two wires are field, just like ours. One goes to the key on ignition, the other goes into the system. I would imagine to run create a circuit that runs across the regulator.

Man, I probably could have done it that way. I've only replaced mine once and that was a long time ago when I didn't know anything about cars. Still know very little and since I had it all apart, it was fairly easy to get to the pin from the bottom. Had plenty of room for the punch and hammer. Took just a couple of good hits to get it moving and then out. If I have to do this again anytime soon, I may go in from inside the car. I would have hoped to drop it all at once, but remembering what I had to do the last time, I just dismantled everything individually.

I will say the rack and sway bar I dropped using the jack. The new one, I laid down, set it on my chest and inched under the car. It is so light that it was very easy and as mentioned, assembly was super swift once I didn't cross thread the bolt.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I usually pop the column out in the car and then drop the whole shebang too. Either way works though.

Some updates.

• install pressure line o-ring
    • swap PS pulley (need to get a puller)
    • install PS pump
    • connect pressure line to pump
    • install PS fluid!
    • attach tie rod ends
    • re-connect rod linkage
    • finish running and terminating alternator wiring

Soon as I'm done with work, I plan to get out there and get the pump installed, wideband O2 installed (just arrived) and the rest of the items checked off. Hoping to have this done before DJ gets here so we can work on his car later tonight if he's up to it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Sweet! your moving along good!
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

On my Charger you have to punch out the roll pin to disconnect the rack from the column, but the column just slipped right out of an Omni I was getting parts out of in the junkyard years ago. I'm guessing they had multiple styles in some of the L-bodies? Omni was an '88.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Need to really road test it, but the voltage was in the mid 13's at idle (originally this was 14-16v) . . .
    What's an ideal voltage at the battery? I've been having some weird charging issues and was just curious.

turbo addict

14.2-14.5V engine running on a fully charged battery is ideal; 15+ is certainly too high, below 13.5 is too low.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

So the 14.0 I read was right where it needs to be.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    14.2-14.5V engine running on a fully charged battery is ideal; 15+ is certainly too high, below 13.5 is too low.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that. Anything above 12V is technically charging, however a fully charged battery by itself will put out around 12.7-13.2V IIRC. Remember that the battery simply starts the car and acts as an energy storage vessel that can take up the slack of the alternator under high demand loads or short demand spikes. Other than that the car runs on the alternator. New cars have to "see" the battery otherwise the computer can freak out, or burn out, but I think most everybody here knows all that fun stuff

Here are some runs from the autocross in the GLHS. Thank you to Justin Cronk for posting!! I think there is one more from MB and I think Gary also posted one for me, so thanks again for getting the video! Car is set to 8-9 psi right now, planning to turn it up to 12-15 and do this again somewhere

Last edited by minigts; 06-26-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The car looked great out there! Now you need tires!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Thanks Mike! Three more videos to post. It would only let me link 5 at a time. MB may post the one from the go pro. Mike didn't you put a go pro on my car too? That will make 8 total.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Yeah, I'll see if I can get some vids loaded tonight
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Hey jon I have something that you might be interested in. I was going to put them on my car but your car would look better with them. PM me and we can talk. BTW I got a picture of your car at SDAC that looks pretty sinister. I posted it once but I will post it here as well. Clouds sort of set it off. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403828417862.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	50733
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Yeah, I'll see if I can get some vids loaded tonight
    Thanks Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    Hey jon I have something that you might be interested in. I was going to put them on my car but your car would look better with them. PM me and we can talk. BTW I got a picture of your car at SDAC that looks pretty sinister. I posted it once but I will post it here as well. Clouds sort of set it off. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403828417862.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	50733
    Sweet man, I'll shoot you a note. Man you are stealth, I don't remember seeing you, but I was not by my car that much once we were in the lot. I appreciate the compliment too. I didn't live behind my smack talk at the autocross, but next year.....

turbo addict

This is only valid for you. Pay the ride there yours. These I think would look awesome night shaded out with your flat black on your car. Let me know if you want them. These are the smooth early 2 door tails. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403840673095.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	50748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403840684520.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	50749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403840692258.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	50750
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Interesting!!!! You don't want them? Man I'll take 'em!! If for ANY reason I either decide to take them off or change to something else (looking to do something with the ribbed style eventually), I will send them back to you. But for the interim, let's do this! I'll shoot you a note so we can talk.