Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Hybrid booster

Re: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Jon it's a shame your yarding the thing. You just got it half way squared up. Anyway, I'll take the wheels and valve cover. What was the price?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    When the baro sensor opens, it lets the MAP sensor see atmosphere for a split second, then goes back closed again. Kind of like going close loop, open loop for a second, then back to close loop. Usually does this at idle quite a bit. Not sure if it's every 8 seconds or not...that kind of seems too much. But when this happens, you'll see normal vacuum on your log, then 0 for a second, then back to normal vacuum again.

Also, unless you have something other than stock, your voltage regulator is in your power module. Not your alternator itself.
    THAT'S not good. That explains a lot of things. I've gone through a few coils and now I'm getting 14-16v, although not all the time. Ugh, guess I'll look for a power module. I thought the VR was in the alternators? I'll trust you on this though.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    Jon it's a shame your yarding the thing. You just got it half way squared up. Anyway, I'll take the wheels and valve cover. What was the price?
    LOL Yeah right! I'm so close now to getting the car one color. I care about doing a good job, but honestly I'm more interested in getting it one color. But there's NO WAY I'm stopping now!

Spent some time tonight sanding down the passenger side. Got most of it done, but still got some areas at the bottom that need to be smoothed out. Still got the rear sails, rear hatch, roof, hood, driver's side, front clip and ground effects to sand. It's a lot and sounds like a lot, but lot of small pieces that I should be able to get done tomorrow and start priming. If it turns out there are too many little nicks in the paint, I may just do a good sanding with some 220 and start the priming process.

Also spoke to the guy about the steering wheel, unfortunately it won't be done until Friday, so it won't be available for the car show this weekend. VERY disappointed. The guy's had the thing for 2 weeks and I'm just now hearing from him after sending about 3 emails since he's received it. Said it would be a week turnaround when he received it. Not upset that he could have other work to do, just upset because he's received multiple emails about it and calls me weeks after.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

the vr is a combination of the LM and PM.

the two small wires to the alternator connect to the PM and 12V are the field coil circuit.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/ecu...ield_coil.html

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Wow...body lines that match on an L-body! That's RARE!! LOL

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Wow...body lines that match on an L-body! That's RARE!! LOL
    Yeah, now everyone will know it's not stock!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Is there any way to fix a power module? This is going to be a problem going forward. I can't imagine this will not be the last power module that will fail. What years can I pull from, up to 87?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Any '85-'87 turbo car. I always pull them when I find them in yards to have as spares. Need one?

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Any '85-'87 turbo car. I always pull them when I find them in yards to have as spares. Need one?
    Man I may take you up on one. Brian has a few laying around we will test, but like you I like to have spares as well. I'll give you a shout after this weekend.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

K, let me know. I know I've got at least one or two good ones, and I'll test it before I ship it.

Well I'm about a day behind on pictures, but I think we're making good progress. I had a setback today, as I had real life work I had to do until about 3pm. Sucks because I thought today Brian and I would be able to do some damage to this whole thing, but I was wrong.

I don't have pictures of the work Brian did (a day behind on taking pictures of what was done today), but he was able to get all the ground effects done, the air filter installed and some other things. I was able to get the hood sanded down, did some work on the bondo I had to apply and sanded the window trim pieces.

Pics here are from the other day when I started masking things off. I would write more, but I'm tired and I can imagine no one wants to read anything from me at this point. But the good thing like I mentioned earlier, I think we're doing well. Brian did track down a guy who supplies black primer, so I'm super glad about that. OH, and the steering wheel will be here tomorrow (Friday). The guy called me today and said it was done, so I asked if he could ship it so it will arrive by the weekend and he obliged, although I'm probably going to pay for it in shipping cost!

I also took a few pics of the little blue Omni. This car has some great potential, hardly any real rust on it. I've offered to come back up another week or weekend(s) to help Brian pull this thing apart and do what we're doing now, only down to the frame. I'd like to see this thing cleaned up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0113.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	394.2 KB 
ID:	33656 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0114.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	337.1 KB 
ID:	33657 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0115.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	321.3 KB 
ID:	33658

I'm seriously kicking myself for not having cleaned these earlier. These are the sails and the stickers on them. I have washed this car I don't know how many times, but acetone revealed the true identity! They were in really good shape, I hated to sand them down. Once they were sanded, there was some ghosting left, which I'll leave for effect. One day I'll get the stickers and put them back on.

Name:	DSC_0123.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	33666 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0122.jpg 
Size:	318.2 KB 
ID:	33665 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0132.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	345.3 KB 
ID:	33675

Shots of the sanding work. This was by no means all of it. The car is almost down to the primer in a lot of places and bare metal in others.

Name:	DSC_0116.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	33659 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0117.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	33660 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0118.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	272.9 KB 
ID:	33661 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0119.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	312.4 KB 
ID:	33662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0120.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	33663 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0121.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	33664

These are a few of what I had masked off at the time.

Name:	DSC_0125.jpg 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	33668 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0126.jpg 
Size:	324.0 KB 
ID:	33669 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0127.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	33670 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0128.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	33671 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0129.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	372.6 KB 
ID:	33672 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0130.jpg 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	33673

Miscellaneous pics of parts sanded and the hood. The last time it will be seen with a powder coated top.

Name:	DSC_0131.jpg 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	33674 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0124.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	33667 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0138.jpg 
Size:	296.4 KB 
ID:	33677

This is the one I took of Brian to test my camera after having left it outside the night before......in the rain. Yes, I did. Forgot where I put it and just assumed I left it in the garage. Thankfully it didn't get too wet. Took the battery out, check to see if water got anywhere and it didn't and just put it back together after letting it sit for a few hours to dry.

Name:	DSC_0133.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	33676

Hats off to you guys and the effort being put in to get this done before Saturday...it's gonna look sharp
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Hats off to you guys and the effort being put in to get this done before Saturday...it's gonna look sharp
    Thanks Paul, we're doing all we can! We're going to save you a couple of spots for the car show, btw.

Well it's about 4AM and I'm exhausted. Cordes and I put in a lot of hours today to get the car to the point where we could prime it. The first couple shots we did on the pics below didn't turn out that great. There seemed to be a ton of orange peel in the paint and when I got done, I didn't clean out the gun IMMEDIATELY and it was a pain to say the least to get the gun clean. It did come through though and everything turned out good. I'm still a day behind, so we got it primed tonight, but I only have pre-primed pictures to post.

Brian wanted me to take a picture of this. There is a date on the lower gfx for the rear. Kinda neat I guess.

Name:	dated_gfx (2).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	33691 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dated_gfx (1).jpg 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	33690

Here are pictures of all the pieces we have off the car. The spoiler I'm using is from an 85 that doesn't have the third brake light, but it has a bad crack on the side, so I have to do this one separate as I didn't have time to do the glass work on it. JUST in case someone realized it was missing.

Name:	body_work (2).jpg 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	33689 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	body_work (3).JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	384.2 KB 
ID:	33688 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	body_work (1).JPG 
Size:	445.0 KB 
ID:	33687

And here is the car out side. We didn't want to bring it in right now, but tomorrow the plan is to paint the car in the garage.

Name:	pre-paint (3).jpg 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	33686 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-paint (4).jpg 
Views:	106 
ID:	33685 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-paint (5).jpg 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	33684 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-paint (6).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	33683 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-paint (2).jpg 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	33681 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-paint (1).jpg 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	33682

So tomorrow the plan is to wet sand the parts first, get them cleaned and ready to go and then paint them and let them have time to dry. Then, we'll wet sand the car, get it ready to paint and bring it into the garage. We'll need to do it before dark because there were TONS of bugs out there, especially already in the garage. It shouldn't be an issue tomorrow as long as we can get started before dark. Unfortunately, Cordes has to work so he won't get to be there to see the paint go down, that is if we don't get enough done before about 4pm. I'm hoping he can be around to see it laid down on the car. He's put in a TON of work to help me get this done and I can't say thanks enough to him for all he's doing.

Good luck man, hopefully this heat isn't an issue...it's supposed to be HOT today and tomorrow!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Looking forward to some more pictures! Keep up the good work.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Thanks for the good words guys, we're almost done.

We didn't have any miracles happen with the cheese festival, but I gotta tell you the paint job on the car came out phenomenal. Brian and I are just in awe that there is so little trash in the paint. There are some obvious flaws in it, but given the fact that we did the priming out in the open and made a make shift "booth", I'd say it turned out better than expected. I was able to put two good coats on the car even after I figured some stuff out about the gun and the paint in general. I'm pretty much not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to what to use to clean the paint, but I've learned what DOESN'T work to clean acrylic lacquer and that is normal paint thinner. We couldn't figure out why it wouldn't clean the old paint like I was thinking it would, but now I know.

So here is one photo I've taken since we got it painted and man it came out nice. I'll take more tomorrow and do a better write up on things, but for now here is what it looks like.

Name:	glhs.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	33761

Alright man, that is really freaking awesome! The fact is, your pic doesn't do the paint justice, it looks sooooo much better in person! Props to you guys for all your work thrashing on it the past couple days

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

nice job. it looks awesome!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Wow! That does look nice! Better than my car for sure!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I know it's been a few days and I've gotten behind on getting pictures up, but here are some more.

This is just before I primed the car. I was up until about 4am the one night, Brian was there helping with the paint making sure I had it available. He did a great job mixing it up and getting it ready so all I had to do was pour it in the gun. Very tiring work too. You have to balance yourself as you move, make sure you're consistent and DON'T touch anything! That was the scarier part. I don't know how many times I hit the drip rail, but thankfully I wasn't painting that. Just the primer looked awesome on it, so I knew if the job turned out good, the matte finish would look good as well.

You may not be able to see the last picture too well, but those are places on my fingers where I sanded through a few layers of skin. I wet sanded the entire car for about 80% or better of the sanding. I was using 220 on most places and then when we got the car primed we went over it again with 400 to flatten it out.

Name:	pre-paint (2).jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	33806 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-paint (1).jpg 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	33807 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-paint (6).jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	33808 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-paint (5).jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	33809 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-paint (4).jpg 
ID:	33810 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-paint (3).jpg 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	33811 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed (7).jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	33794 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed (12).jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	33793 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed (9).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	33795 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	33796 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed (11).jpg 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	33797 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed (8).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	33798 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed (5).jpg 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	33800 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed (10).jpg 
Size:	258.4 KB 
ID:	33801 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed (6).jpg 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	33802 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed (3).jpg 
Size:	271.1 KB 
ID:	33803 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed (2).jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	33804 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed (1).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	33805 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sanding_effects.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	33799

So these were taken today. Car has been painted for about 3 days now, just need to get the hood and other minor parts finished. I'd say the irony of the entire project is that I simply used a scotch brite pad to wipe down the rear bumper and it probably turned out the best given the conditions. And let me just say, painting is 95%+ prep and the rest actually painting. We washed and cleaned and wiped down every part every time we did anything with it and I'm convinced that's why there's little trash in the paint. That or you just can't see it with the matte finish.

Name:	painted (13).jpg 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	33775 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (14).jpg 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	33776 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (1).jpg 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	33777 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (15).JPG 
Size:	463.5 KB 
ID:	33778 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (5).jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	33779 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (11).jpg 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	33780 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (4).jpg 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	33781 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (16).jpg 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	33782 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (17).jpg 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	33783 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (9).jpg 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	33784 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (3).jpg 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	33785 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (12).jpg 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	33786 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (18).jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	33787 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (10).jpg 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	33788 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (2).jpg 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	33789 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (8).jpg 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	33790 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (6).jpg 
Size:	318.4 KB 
ID:	33791 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted (7).jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	382.6 KB 
ID:	33792 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primed (4).jpg 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	33812

And we were going to finish everything on Sunday, but my ignorance with paint led me to mix all the paint I had left and needed for the hood, the day prior. Well this paint and I would imagine most paint has a shelf life and it's shorter than what I needed. Once it was set, that was it. So with the hood, window trim, mirrors and spoiler left, I had to stop and I'm now waiting for the paint to ship here. The good is I have the car for the most part back together and just waiting on this stuff. Still need to finish the spoiler, but I will have that glassed by the time the paint arrives and I'll be ready to shoot.

There were a couple of bad spots on the car you can see in the pictures, but I have to say I was very pleased with the results. And the experience I have now, I think I could easily fix the spots that are bad and make it look as it should fairly quickly and with ease. I'll have some other pictures of the car complete by the end of the week.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Bad A dude!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's