Thread: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Threaded View

Re: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Well I got something done on the car, finally. Unfortunately I spun my wheels with the task to accomplish, replacing the window track bushings. Ace Hardware sells the grommet, but they don't carry Hillman at the location closest to me. Using my prowess of gauging sizes, I failed miserably and bought ones that were much larger. The dimensions seem to be 3/4" for the post and about 7/8" for the track piece. They didn't seem to carry that specific size, but I do plan to return these and locate the correct ones if possible. You can see below that the post is dry as a bone, so it got some grease for the time being. After I procure the correct bushings, that problem will be corrected.

I also ran into an issue that I THOUGHT might be a problem, but didn't look hard enough at first. The issue is the mount for the door hinge that is welded/riveted to the frame has broken loose on both sides!!!!, causing a serious issue. I think it is going to be repairable, but I'm not sure if I'm going to weld the piece again or just use some sort of nut and bolt to secure it. I think in the long run that will hold better, but I just need to see what can be done.

Because I spent so much time taking the passenger door apart, I went ahead and pulled the glass and replaced the window scraper for that door. Man that just made me feel SOO much better to see the pretty new scraper there.

And because the other task wasn't able to be performed, I decided to get the set of charcoal grey arm rest and install them. They cleaned up well, as you can see below. The pictures really don't do justice to how they were before and the cleanliness after. The a-pillar pieces got cleaned too, but it was getting late so I stopped short of installing those. Had I done these, then I would have wanted to do the black plastic trim pieces for the door and then the kick panels, etc., etc. The carpet will be replaced this weekend, so all of that will come out on Saturday.

The last picture is just a shot of the garage floor and how there is no oil there!!! This car was leaking a good 2 quarts every 400 miles or so when I got to Warren's place in ND, but after we fixed the sender issue and I got a new valve cover cap, all is right with the GLHS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door_hinge.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	353.5 KB 
ID:	22546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pass_window_post.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	344.1 KB 
ID:	22547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pass_window_scraper.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	381.8 KB 
ID:	22548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	window_scraper_before.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	275.0 KB 
ID:	22549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	window_scraper_after.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	471.3 KB 
ID:	22550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a_pillar_before.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	330.0 KB 
ID:	22551  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a_pillar_after.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	338.6 KB 
ID:	22552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arm_rest_before.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	406.7 KB 
ID:	22553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arm_rest_after.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	325.9 KB 
ID:	22554   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arm_rest_after_pass.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	425.9 KB 
ID:	22555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arm_rest_after_pass2.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	290.4 KB 
ID:	22556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arm_rest_installed.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	314.4 KB 
ID:	22557  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no_oil.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	401.4 KB 
ID:	22558  
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]