Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: GLHS 937 Restoration Project

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Awe C'mon, no air under the passenger rear??

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Awe C'mon, no air under the passenger rear??
    The turns I was able to shoot at during the Tack Night in America event weren't tight enough to get that unfortunately. Of course, with this car it's actually a question of no air under the inside tires.

Well it's about that time to post some updates. Another year has gone by, but this one is different, granted I am cramming all the work I need to get done JUST before SDAC. There are some things I wanted to get done, but didn't realize I would be able to or get the parts necessary to complete them. One of the bigger task I'm undertaking is installing the 555 and retiring the 525. It's been a long time coming, but this year is the year. So far I have pulled everything but the transmission, waiting to get the clutch (that I haven't ordered yet) but I will need to turn the flywheel and change out the crank seal, so probably need to get that done sooner than later so I can just get it done and back together.

Aside from that, I have also decided to upgrade the cooling system with a custom unit that will mount under the radiator support that is also somewhat wider and has much larger end tanks and it is made of aluminum. Got the mocked up version done and it fits perfectly! He let me take it home and check clearances, all checked out. Keeping the stock lines where they are and it will have a custom shroud and fan all part of the package. I'm also upgrading the injectors and fuel pump, +40s and a 255 Walbro. The +20s and stock GLHS pump and a tune yielded 243hp and 250 ft/lbs of torque (between two dynos it was 248/250) and the HP curve was still on the rise when he shut it down at 5200 rpm, so hoping it will yield a little more.

I also decided to remove the PS pump and lines and just loop the two so I can just keep the power assist rack on the car and not swap to the manual unit yet. I've had so many leak issues with it and have been driving without it for 8 months or so, that I don't even really notice it anymore. I can and do sense the road a little better (I think) and it helps me with road course and autocross events. I did find some play in the control arm spherical rod ends, so got a set coming to replace those as well. Last step to complete before SDAC with regards to steering is a good alignment and I'll be set.

Last thing I decided to treat myself to is a new set of gauges. They are crazy high quality, made in the US and best of all, will require almost zero modification to the stock cluster to mount. I will have to make a plate that spans the entire cluster, but no cutting or tearing up the stock unit. Can't wait to get them in, but going to have to install the new sensors that came with it for oil pressure and water temp, the rest will just wire right up. I'll try and post some pictures as I go along, but I'm running out of time so not sure how much I'll post before the show in 4.5 weeks and counting. :$

Can't change the orientation of the gauges, they are correct in the folder and not sure why they are upside down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170522_184843.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	60787 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170522_184853.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	60788 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170522_184900.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	60789 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170522_184905.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	60790

Name:	20170520_121935.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	60791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170520_121950.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	897.2 KB 
ID:	60792

Name:	20170521_171416.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	828.4 KB 
ID:	60793 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170521_171443.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	953.3 KB 
ID:	60794

Name:	IMG_1489281246072.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	360.0 KB 
ID:	60795
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Who made the gauges? Those are beautiful!

By the looks of the dyno you need to wrap that thing out to at least 7k!

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post

Menegon head with Slowe custom exhaust manifold etc., etc. You're dead on there to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post

Gauges are from SpeedHut, but they are completely customizable. The word Shelby on the speedo is just a text option. I could have put the CS logo or the SDAC logo on any of the faces of the gauges and they would have printed them. BTW, notice the tach runs out to 8K.

Had to stop due to a lack of fuel, so after I get the +40s and the fuel pump upgraded, I plan to take it back to the dyno to see what it will do. It was still rising at 5200RPM, so hoping to squeeze 260 out of it with the current setup, which is what Brian mentioned with a stock roller cam. I have plans to upgrade the cam too and then do a test to see the gains over the entire curve. My goal, albeit potentially unrealistic is to produce 270 hp at 15 PSI. I was more than happy with the what it did, but if it can do a little more I want to see what that is.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Menegon head with Slowe custom exhaust manifold etc., etc. You're dead on there to say the least.
    That's it! Hoping to add more to the build soon! The 555 will just provide a little more reliability to the power that will be put down.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Ambitious projects in the remaining time before SDAC.
    Way to go!
    Did you say cam upgrade?

I really like SpeedHut's offering of gauge products. I'm using there Revolution Digital line for some supplemental gauges. And i would really like to redo the van dash with full gauge replacement. I need to order an oil pressure gauge because tired of seeing my stock one at zero!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    BTW, notice the tach runs out to 8K.
    I was going to ask why it only goes to 8. Nice looking guages, should look sharp in your car though the shiny faces aren't going to match your exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Ambitious projects in the remaining time before SDAC.
    Way to go!
    Did you say cam upgrade?

I really like SpeedHut's offering of gauge products. I'm using there Revolution Digital line for some supplemental gauges. And i would really like to redo the van dash with full gauge replacement. I need to order an oil pressure gauge because tired of seeing my stock one at zero!
    I ordered the R5 cam from TU along with the clutch I need. Don't NEED the cam, but really...I do. Wasn't planning on installing it before SDAC, but I may end up doing it as I wait for the clutch and I have to pull the head to get the trans out.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    I was going to ask why it only goes to 8. Nice looking guages, should look sharp in your car though the shiny faces aren't going to match your exterior.
    Well I could have gone with 10k RPM, but the needle would typically never really move that much daily driving. Heh

Got the radiator back with the shroud and fan. Not much to see different and I should have gotten better comparison pics, but here it is. I will post a better pic of the side by side that gives a better visual of the thickness difference between the two.

Some pictures shouldn't be sideways, must be the upload interface.

Name:	20170525_183821.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	934.4 KB 
ID:	60816 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170525_183849.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	797.1 KB 
ID:	60817 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170525_183935.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	971.7 KB 
ID:	60818 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170527_083214.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	60820

That rad looks awesome. I don't see any cooling problems in your future.

turbo addict

I ordered the R5 cam from TU along with the clutch I need. Don't NEED the cam, but really...I do. Wasn't planning on installing it before SDAC, but I may end up doing it as I wait for the clutch and I have to pull the head to get the trans out.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, there good buddy. Pull the head to do get the trans out? Why?
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Got the gauges mounted to the stock cluster. Need a few minor adjustments, but should work nicely. Got the wiring done as well and when I get back to my house I plan to take care of the sensor wiring and clean up the little that needs it for the sub-harness. The second pic marks the spots I had to remove to get the gauges in. The others show how tight the clearance is, but it clears nonetheless.

Name:	20170604_234749.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	60915

Name:	20170604_185952.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	646.1 KB 
ID:	60914

Name:	20170604_160607.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	60911

Name:	20170604_160554.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	694.0 KB 
ID:	60912

Name:	20170604_161031.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	60913

Name:	18839723_1175987102547467_5591795483914505518_o.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	60916

Those look awesome. Nice work to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Those look awesome. Nice work to say the least.
    Thanks Brian. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but better than anticipated and close to what I had hoped. The first picture I just rested the bezel over it, but when it's secured correctly, the tach needs a slight adjustment up and over to the left. Interestingly enough, I believe there is a slight curve to the gauges from center. When I set the aluminum plate against it, there was a low spot in the middle and realized there was a slight curve. The clutch will be in this week, so I plan to go out to where my car is and do some more wiring in the dash and redo some other places.

Clutch should arrive Saturday and I got the flywheel turned and my starter rebuilt. Thankfully there is a company in town that does both and had them done in one day for about $115. Probably could have gotten the starter for less, but these guys are local, been in the business for a while and have turned a flywheel or two for me before, always do good work. Also got the heim connectors replaced for the driver's side A arm that had some slop in them, but they changed the design a little and there is more spacing than before. I'll have to get some washers to bridge the size difference, maybe I'll hit up DJ for some larger washers.

Things to do:

• Get crank seal replaced while the transmission is out
    • Get flywheel installed
    • Get clutch installed
    • Get big 4ss 555 transmission installed
    • Get motor mounts installed
    • Install the head
    • Install the starter
    • Install the drive shafts
    • Fill transmission with fluid!
    • Install the turbo
    • Get the K frame back in and rack mounted
    • Install new radiator
    • Finish wiring the dash for the new gauges
    • Finish everything else and set the timing on the car

That's a lot to do, but hopefully I'll be able to knock most of the bigger items knocked out Sunday and have small things to take care of another day. But I'm running out of time and want to get everything finished this next week so I can focus on getting things loaded for SDAC. Got lots to carry with me to the event and really can't wait to get there!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Thanks Brian. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but better than anticipated and close to what I had hoped. The first picture I just rested the bezel over it, but when it's secured correctly, the tach needs a slight adjustment up and over to the left. Interestingly enough, I believe there is a slight curve to the gauges from center. When I set the aluminum plate against it, there was a low spot in the middle and realized there was a slight curve. The clutch will be in this week, so I plan to go out to where my car is and do some more wiring in the dash and redo some other places.

Clutch should arrive Saturday and I got the flywheel turned and my starter rebuilt. Thankfully there is a company in town that does both and had them done in one day for about $115. Probably could have gotten the starter for less, but these guys are local, been in the business for a while and have turned a flywheel or two for me before, always do good work. Also got the heim connectors replaced for the driver's side A arm that had some slop in them, but they changed the design a little and there is more spacing than before. I'll have to get some washers to bridge the size difference, maybe I'll hit up DJ for some larger washers.

Things to do:

• Get flywheel installed
    • Get clutch installed
    • Install the head
    • Install the starter
    • Install the turbo
    • Install new radiator

That's a lot to do, but hopefully I'll be able to knock most of the bigger items knocked out Sunday and have small things to take care of another day. But I'm running out of time and want to get everything finished this next week so I can focus on getting things loaded for SDAC. Got lots to carry with me to the event and really can't wait to get there!

Why not just swap the K frame at the event, I hear it's been done there

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Why not just swap the K frame at the event, I hear it's been done there
    Haha well I wouldn't mind that either, but I have to load the car up to get it to SDAC. I may get it aligned on the way up at a members shop, we'll see.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Things to do:

• Get flywheel installed
    • Get clutch installed
    • Install the head
    • Install the starter
    • Install the turbo
    • Install new radiator

Good Lord, and I'm worried about front wheel bearings/hubs & inner tie rods on the Daytona...

I'm hoping to knock out the wheel bearings tomorrow. I have to work all day by myself babysitting contractors at work... Sound like a good excuse to use the shop hydraulic press...

Well got past the bigger hurdle of it all, but still have lots to do.

Things to do:

• Get flywheel installed
    • Get clutch installed
    • Install the head
    • Install the starter
    • Install the turbo
    • Install new radiator

Cleaning as I go, realized the crank seal was leaking, so it seems. The bell housing was coated all over and the underside of the car and everything close was pretty dirty. Got that replaced and the rest installed and the trans in. WAY easier than normal. Gary Mazzone mentioned using two bolts with the heads cut off threaded in to hang the trans and that did the trick. Took a little to get the input shaft aligned, but I didn't have to hold it like I normally do. Worked like a champ!

The new QA1 heim joints I got for the a arms are thinner than what time had so I have to use washers to bridge the gap and it looks like it's just one I'll need.

The rest will have to get done this week, I really want to get if fired up so I can check for leaks or issues and have to make corrections. Mainly worried about finding leaks, that's always the worst after you put it all back together.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Stay positive, and focused! And keep up the momentum!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini